Fifty bucks up for grabs for a commission

Look at the DLS (Everything for FREE)

So what is the problem to give someone a push to start a new project?

I understand what you are saying but there is another side to creating assets for Trainz. As you point out, everything on the DLS is free, freely given to the community by many, many creators because they wanted to share their work, not make $$$ out of it. In once sense, by offering money for someone to do what we have all given for free could be considered an insult to those creators - it is saying that their work was not worth anything.

I agree, this approach is more honest or more creative than the usual "gimme pig" requests that creators receive but it is still a "gimme" request. As many have pointed out, $50 is not a fair compensation for the 100s of hours that would be needed to build the "high quality" loco requested - and what if the work did not meet the expected standards?

If someone was already building this loco for the DLS then perhaps they should take advantage of such a naive offer but I would not start such a project just for the money.

My opinions only.

Developing for Trainz is like being a musician.

It takes weeks and months to learn and years to master. The OP didn't do anything wrong and doesn't deserve to be treated as such, which is why I opened with "no offense intended".

The OP simply did not know and tried to do the right thing by offering some money for work. I don't like the term gimme-pig, because it ought never be taboo to ask for something of interest, but conversely, no expectations should be inferred by asking either. Politely, or financially.

The only reason I responded was because the OP thought 50 dollars was fair for a "decent" model, but once being apprised to the high level aspects of content creation realized what was involved. To their credit.

There's a huge difference between a prototype and a production model. Commissioning prototypes in any application are always greatly expensive and rely on a volume of production models to be sold to offset those costs. A business plan, if you will. It's been mentioned that some folks produce elaborate models for free and that's terrific, however like myself, I create an asset or reskin for my purposes first, then happily allow others to use it for free, that they may enjoy it too. I've also looked at other creator content for debugging or errors without expectations of cost, because we are a community with common interests and I wholly support making it a learning experience for them. I've made some terrific friends over the years. I've learned from some of the best, who unselfishly contributed their time helping with things.

Steam locomotives are the single most difficult asset to create in Trainz IMHO. In all my years of Trainz, I have seen many started, but never finished models. Modeling is not a simple matter of picking shapes from a list then linking them into a set. It requires patient, obsessive attention to detail, resizing, re-positioning over and over again until it's suitable. It's as tedious as it is difficult. On top of a linked set, models require lighting, textures, attachments, scripts and synchronized animations. Alpha ordering and shiny, specular and LOD are technical aspects considered in nearly every individual part of a creation.

Last month, I decide to create the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train. For a few hours a day over the course of a week I re-skinned 14 assets to the consist. For still photography, it looks nice, but for captured video (or the sim itself), it has a lot of shortcomings. Day/night lighting has yet to be resolved, scripts for sequencing textures for the synchronized flashing lights has yet to written, especially as it applies to the entire consist and not just the car itself. I have to go back to the drawing board and re-learn some things before tackling those tasks. Even then, I'd expect bugs or inadvertent features not anticipated until beta testing.

Also as mentioned earlier, even re-skinning can be a lengthy task. Scanning through thousands of photos to locate a ideal texture for each asset is greatly time consuming, even without assembling a single component.

For that reason, I didn't release it. I will poke away at it all year, an hour here, an hour there. Hopefully next year, it will be what I'm envisioning. And yes, I will upload to the DLS. It's really quite a spectacular train.

When you buy the 3D models from another site, pretty easily.... :wave:

I haven't heard "pretty easily" used as a measurement of time before but yeah nah, good, productive comments there...

Good luck with your commission Ktrain

Last edited:
$50 is not an adequate commission for the effort a loco takes. Let alone a steam loco.

People release things for free because they enjoy building things themselves, using those items and seeing others use them (unlike a certain hump yard module). People release things for money because they enjoy having money. They also need money to make their respective worlds go around.

Neither should be compared or criticised.

Jamie

Anything is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

If $50 is not enough for you, best not reply, the OP will get the message just the same.

Please don’t post on this thread unless you

a.) want to make the engine at that low price, or are willing to negotiate more.

b.) want to help pay

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please try and keep this thread civil and on topic. I'm unlocking it now, don't make me come back in here.

Last edited:
ktain.ny while 3751 is not necessarily a locomotive I am totally lusting after, I wouldn't mind possibly contributing to the commission fund of it. But I thought I've heard a couple people say that they were working on it? And yes it's been a while, but life happens so don't just write them off yet.

So if someone would actually give an amount it would take for them to build a quality asset. Then the OP could take his $50 bucks and start a crowdfunding site to collect the rest needed, and then when it's done, release it on the DLS for free, thanking all the funders for contributing. I would chip in to the crowd funding, maybe $5 bucks, and if another 100 people did it with varying amounts, it might be enough? Just an idea, had to throw it out there.

You do know right that Trainman7616 is making a model of 3751, and Tigerko15 made a reskin of it using the Trainz Italia ATSF 2929

One of the most difficult bits for a content creator to do is finding a set of detailed plans and supporting photographs. If you manage to assemble these for your heart's desire you might find someone is willing to put something together.

Cheerio John

Back