Jointed Rail's Handbrakes

Justin99

Without going to Easy Mode, is there a way to deactivate the handbrakes on Jointed Rail's cars or get the handbrakes to where they don't turn on just because the car is stopped? In case it would affect your answer, I use them in T:ANE.

Last edited:
it is important to note that the handbrake indicator says the brake is applied when the car stops because that is what trainz does to any traincar that stops. You can of course click the link and release them or click it again to apply them, but any car applies handbrakes when it isn't moving - that's just how trainz works. The JR script literally does nothing when a car stops except change the indication to 'applied' so as to match the game state.

I think this goes back many years and has to do with cars that would run away if the handbrake was not applied on startup. I had a discussion on the forum with Chris some years ago about the brakes automatically applying and he explained it there. If i find it I will post a link, or you could look for it as well.

Does the "disable laws of physics for stopped railcars" setting do this? I've always wondered but never tried it.

- I made a consist using a Jointed Rail's Autorack and had major trouble with the train. The engines would move a distance forward and then they wouldn't be able to move forward anymore and would start going backward due to X of the autoracks having their handbrakes on. Multiple times, I have gotten a train with JR Cars to move forward by moving the engines forward as far as they could go, then putting them in reverse to bunch cars up, then moving the engines forward as far as they could go, etc.... and finally (Minutes and minutes later) gotten the whole consist to move forward

- I also made a consist using a Non-JR Autorack and was able to get it to move at a good speed soon after I started moving it.

I know that you can release the brake by clicking on the link. But I prefer to have a long consist. I tried releasing the brakes on cars when I had a long consist and it was a failure. There were cars that moved forward a little and then stopped when I was in the midst of trying to get the whole train to move and, due to them stopping, they applied the brake again.

I'll add that if I have already gotten the whole consist to move forward and have applied the brakes and stopped it, it is then easier to me to get the whole thing to move forward. It's easier for me to do it at that time because, unlike when I first try to move them, the cars have been bunched together due to me having applied the brake.

Last edited:
that must be related to something else. the only part in jr cars that has anything to do with the handbrake is that link in the details and all it does is allow toggle of on or off. i cant think of any good reason cars would be stuck but i highly doubt it is the hand brake feature.

when you start with a consist sitting still the brakes will say they are on, but this is not because of any script. Clicking the link does indeed release the handbrake, and clicking it again will apply it, but this action will never be able to stop a locomotive from moving the car by releasing the train brake. when an attached loco releases the brake they are off. in fact it should be that whenever an active locomotive couples to a standing railcar it will release the handbrake.

I am interested in tracking down the problem, but i do not believe it to be in any way related to the handbrake link in the car details at this time.

@norfolksouthern37, your GE C40-8 is broken for T:ANE, I've gotten all of the updates for the dependencies and it's still saying missing dependencies but wont tell me what's missing, do you know what it is? (I thought I would contact you because nobody else can help me out with this)

Back