Trainz Model Railroad Edition

Thanks Tony for the response - makes good sense and I will certainly jump on board! For me it is not a case of either/or but a case of both/and - I enjoy all the genres that TANE lends itself to and makes possible. Looking forward to it.

Yorkshire

Assuming that peeps buying the model train version could also dload virtual world routes, it seems to me they would be better off just buying TANE and dloading model layouts. nev have tried niche versions before without lasting success.

So, just highlight the model layout possibilities of TANE and concentrate on improving it.

Assuming that peeps buying the model train version could also dload virtual world routes, it seems to me they would be better off just buying TANE and dloading model layouts. nev have tried niche versions before without lasting success.

Yes, there was the "Toy Trainz" version which was aimed at young kids and then there is the "Trainz Driver" version which lacks Surveyor (and I can see the sense of that as not everyone wants to create layouts and/or sessions). I also agree that the full Trainz version would be better value for money but if there is a niche market for a "Model Trainz" release, even if it is short lived, then it might bring some new people in, some of whom may want to upgrade later.

I think that N3V are correct in their new release.

Currently T:ane is marketed as a Railway/Railroad Simulator which is not quite correct. What you get is in essence a model railway that allows you to drive the trains and construct or modify the scenes. The problem here is that the advertising will not necessarily attract a railway modeller who doesn't want to drive his trains, he or she wants to experience the pleasure of creating their own little niche of reality. Yes I know that T:ane allows this but the branding as a Simulator does not make it clear.

I started with the MST which was essentially a Simulator for which you could build (with difficulty) your own stock but needed a degree to create a route. If Trainz had come on the market as a Simulator, with my experience of MST, I would have ignored it, but when it was advertised pre Christmas 2001 as a Model Railway Simulator, my Bankcard was in my hand immediately. I still have the original disks.

I think that the basic program can be sold to two different markets as a Driving Simulator (which quite honestly it is not) or a Model Railway Simulator (which it really is)

I think also, there is a generational aspect, young people want to drive trains, model trains are not on their horizon. Older citizens would like to recover the pleasure of modelling, that they had to forsake because of family and work pressures. T:ane as a Model Railway Simulator will attract that market group where Railway Modelling is the trigger.

Finally, whatever they do, it will still be the Trainz that has hooked all of us for so many years. Same program, different names.

Peter

Peter (Narrowguage) has a very valid point. Our local supermarket has 4-5 Railway/Model Railway magazines on the shelves most months and the dedicated newsagents probably twice that number. There are also 10-15 computer magazines on the shelves many of which include a gaming content although I cannot recall the last time I saw any train simulator reviewed. I agree N3V are slow and amiss not to exploit such magazines as a forum to publicize Trainz in all its various formats. Peter

Peter (Narrowguage) has a very valid point. Our local supermarket has 4-5 Railway/Model Railway magazines on the shelves most months and the dedicated newsagents probably twice that number. There are also 10-15 computer magazines on the shelves many of which include a gaming content although I cannot recall the last time I saw any train simulator reviewed. I agree N3V are slow and amiss not to exploit such magazines as a forum to publicize Trainz in all its various formats. Peter

They have advertised in these magazines in the past. I remember seeing an advertisement for Trainz Railway Simulator in Model Railroader Magazine many, many years ago. Magazine adverts are really, really, expensive and with the advent of online and the web that provides a much larger audience, the magazine ads don't quite produce the same reward and return on the advertisement budget spent.

John

I remember seeing an advertisement for Trainz Railway Simulator in Model Railroader Magazine many, many years ago.

I do recall this issue, the advertising of Trainz in model railroad magazines, being raised in these forums many years ago. The claim was made back then that the magazines were often unwilling to run advertisements for virtual railway or train simulator programs because of a possible backlash from other advertisers who would see the programs as a threat to their business.

Indeed, there does seem to be a rather cautious relationship between virtual railroading and the traditional model press. Presumably partly related to the advertising revenue from shops and manufacturers looking to sell their £/$xxx priced items are reluctant to see what they might regard as a cut price competitor moving in. Purely IMHO the two interests should be able to exist side by side but reality tends to trump idealism.

Also worth noting that the likes of Kalmbach are very protective of their copyright - very unusual to find any plans of layouts that have appeared in MR circulating on the web, even those which are years old. I know we've discussed before the pros and cons of building a route in Trainz based off a Kalmbach plan and I think the verdict was okay, providing no part of the original scanned track plan remained on the virtual version. After all, these plans were drawn and published to inspire a modeller to build them, we're just doing it on the PC instead.

Where then will the ModelRail version be advertised? To the extent that nev have already committed time and resources to this version, they will have to appeal directly to model railers in their mags. The internet is big; it is also amorphous and the (niche) individual (games etc as well as people) is easily lost in the crowd.

While the MR version is going ahead, it is arguable that pushing TANE itself as a kind of universal entity (what word?) capable of being enjoyed by a wide variety of interests (even tourists!) might have been a more efficient and productive strategy.

I wasn't actually thinking of advertising in the railway/railway modelling and computer/gaming press I was thinking more on the lines of the free advertising afforded by articles and reviews in such magazines by perhaps sending complimentary copies to the gaming editors etc. Perhaps us Users who subscribe to such magazines could also be more proactive singing the praises of Trainz (skipping the negatives) via their letter pages. Peter

While the MR version is going ahead, it is arguable that pushing TANE itself as a kind of universal entity (what word?) capable of being enjoyed by a wide variety of interests (even tourists!) might have been a more efficient and productive strategy.

I fear that if this marketing path is followed Trainz will fall between the two types of end users by not gripping either of them. There is no need for different codes just slant the packaging and built-in content so that they are perceived as two different programs. Trainz simulator is currently classed and sold as a game. the MR version has to be carefully marketed as a 'hobby', model railways is a hobby, not a game and I believe that the potential market will latch on to that distinction.

It is a pity that all the inbuilt screens perpetuate this 'game' nonsense.

Peter

In addition (hopefully) the model version will contain all the elements necessary ready at hand, rather than foraging around the DLS. The included layouts will allow people to study the methods and techniques used by others to practice on their own projects.

Years ago I remember reading a book, or maybe series of books, called "The Railway Men" which was story about a young lad with a model railway which was inhabited by scale size people. That probably set me thinking then, what would it be like to take a ride on your own model railway? Later that idea germinated into disappointment that you couldn't actually ride the trains in Transport Tycoon, the discovery that the train driving sims of the time were entirely text based and my personal campaign for something much better. As I said, the ability to replicate full size railways is still the priority but I for one would like to try building Buckingham Great Central or Pendon as a virtual model railway. And entirely as an aside - no worries about distant mountains or view distance caps!!

Edit: And a complex model, such as some of the US modular layouts or the likes of Sierra Pacific, could take nearly as long to piece together as a 25 - 30 mile linear stretch.

Hi Vern

You may be interested to know these books are going to be available again starting with the first 3 on Kindle here:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=dp_b...text&field-author=Ray+Pope&sort=relevancerank

More kere regarding the series:-

http://themodelrailwaymen.uk/

They were written not far from "sunny Swindon"!

Interesting, I must keep an eye out - though would prefer a hard published copy to reading on the tablet.

Will this version have a set of sectional track pieces that match those made by the most popular model railroad suppliers such as Atlas or Peco? This would help if you wish to use it as a planning tool for a real model railroad.

Will this version have a set of sectional track pieces that match those made by the most popular model railroad suppliers such as Atlas or Peco? This would help if you wish to use it as a planning tool for a real model railroad.

That's a good idea. Maybe there could be different code-sizes as well such as Code 100 and Code 55 for the N-scale track for example.

This content would be up to a content creator to make, which I'm sure will happen in due time.

Tony: Still Confused

HI Tony, I'd like to share my personal opinion but first I'm still a little confused. I own TANE does this mean I can buy/download all routes right into TANE? or do I have to buy/download a seperate MR release of the product and install it separately on my machine? I'm ok with either actually (would prefer a separate install for certain reasons). I already love the Bideye Traction railroad in TANE, is it basically going to be the same thing - new routes within TANE? Anyway, here's why I'm really, really excited about the idea...

I'm a casual user of TANE but a big fan. I dont build routes, maybe someday. And have a mid-level machine where I enjoy the experience immensely. This idea of MR really appeals to me. I'm thinking it may be bc, growing up as a child, I was obsessed with model railroads. I spent hours and hours on mine, but...I was never ever successful. I had the vision but not the ability to implement it. Spent hours trying and always failing. I didn't have any adult help was what it really came down to I realized years later. Now, today I know I could build a nice layout but I dont have the time nor the space to do so. I think about it alot as my two sons get into trains that we put up and take down at Christmas time. I dream someday in my older age of building a massive layout. This solves everything for me! Now I can envision and build a layout.....that will run! I'm really looking forward to this immensely!!!!!

So I think this product is spot on for me personally.

Thanks Tony!

- Bryan

Hi Bryan - great to hear the excitement in your post. I have personally tested each session in this version and operating on these smaller layouts (for me personally) is far more enjoyable. I guess I don't have the patience for the longer drives.

To answer you question, TANE users will have a choice of buying the TMR version and running it in parallel, or patching to TANE SP2 and purchasing the content set as DLC to add to their existing install. We are currently testing SP2 and sorting out compatibility with TMR to ensure everything works as expected. It is likely that SP2 will still be in beta testing at the release date for TMR17.

Interesting, I must keep an eye out - though would prefer a hard published copy to reading on the tablet.

You are not the only one to say that. A hard copy is on the list to do, along with a virtual layout and a few other things.

Hi Bryan - great to hear the excitement in your post. I have personally tested each session in this version and operating on these smaller layouts (for me personally) is far more enjoyable. I guess I don't have the patience for the longer drives.

To answer you question, TANE users will have a choice of buying the TMR version and running it in parallel, or patching to TANE SP2 and purchasing the content set as DLC to add to their existing install. We are currently testing SP2 and sorting out compatibility with TMR to ensure everything works as expected. It is likely that SP2 will still be in beta testing at the release date for TMR17.

Awesome,thanks for the clarification Tony. Keep up the great work!

Back