Bandwidth test results - what's your speed?

oolklaspeedtest.jpg~original

You must be on NBN. I'm still using two cans and a bit of string. Best I can get is about 5mb/s download and 0.9 mb/s upload.

Not on the NBN yet. Photoshop worked wonders on my internet speed. :hehe:

Without it I'm only getting 10Mb/s download and 0.9Mb/s upload, but it felt good to be top dog for a few minutes.

Not on the NBN yet. Photoshop worked wonders on my internet speed. :hehe:

Without it I'm only getting 10Mb/s download and 0.9Mb/s upload, but it felt good to be top dog for a few minutes.

You got me. My area hasn't even made the NBN list yet and, being in a safe labour electorate, probably won't ever. :(

Can't get more Labour (or "Democrat" for our US viewers) than Newcastle Paul, but we've been hammered with advertising for the NBN. Looking at the various flyers, it just seems like more money to stay on about the same speeds as current ADSL and a lot more money to go faster. So you're not missing out on much.

And that is NBN in rural Australia. It can at times resemble two cans and a piece of string as pcas1986 shares.

From New Zealand to here...

There is equipment there very capable of delivering fast speeds! Interesting...

Yeah, there is, but its all speed regulated here. Most people are on ADSL through copper which averages anywhere from 5Mb/s to about 20Mb/s. Next there is VDSL which is up to about 30Mb/s. About 10 years ago, Telstra created a hybrid cable network in parts of Auckland (I think), Wellington and Christchurch. Im on it in Christchurch and its regulated to 50Mb/s. In the last few years they have been rolling out fibre throughout the cities, it is managed by a company called Chorus and some areas have up to 100Mb/s (some businesses can get faster). Here in Christchurch a company called Enable is managing the fibre network and their philosophy is "no one needs to go any faster than 30Mb/s" and have regulated it as such for residential services. Businesses can have faster if they pay for it, I have one business I visit and did a speed test on their network and they were over 300Mb/s, I also have another on 100Mb/s, but they are paying a lot each month for it. And yes, we still have bandwidth limited plans also, we are on a 80Gb per month plan which we occasionally go over. And it cost $90 per month.

As I said, you lucky people, our internet is nothing fantastic - unless you're from a bush tribe from central Africa, then you may think its great!!

My home has both cable and fiber broadband, the former for general use and latter for hosting games with my friends and seeding torrents round the clock.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5172299450

$50/month with free voip, no complaints. :)
In recent months several companies have begun 10 Gigabit service at $180+ monthly.

Last edited:
Here's the result of connecting to Softlayer, the host for our DLS, forums, and patches.

The performance is not stellar as we can see compared to the local connection, well relatively local for me at 50 miles in Boston so the results here may have to do with the distance as well.

John

Hmmm, don't know what you are all complaining about I have to use mobile 3G this is a normal daytime speed, it gets a lot faster after midnight when everyone has gone to bed!

Hmmm, don't know what you are all complaining about I have to use mobile 3G this is a normal daytime speed, it gets a lot faster after midnight when everyone has gone to bed!

I've used 3G while traveling especially in those areas where there is little if any bandwidth even at the hotels that offer "free internet service", and in one location in west Texas, the 3G was actually faster than the hotel service.

John

None of you lot have anything to moan about (Malc included) :D

What's more, I am over the moon with my internet speed as our village has recently been connected with a fibre optic line. Prior to that I was barely scraping 1Mbit/s download in the evenings!

Stuart

Back