Why a lot of people still use TRS2004 and TRS2006?

I started a thread similar to this:

Allot of people have low end integrated graphics PC's, and 09, 10, 12, T:ANE will not run on them

Others, like me, find the simplicity of surveyor to be so easy

I spend 99.9% of my time in surveyor, so I use TRS2006, on my "beater" integrated graphics laptop, as I don't need a PC with a video card to lay track

Others just use TRS2004 because it still works, and it does a fantastic job for Mezzoprezzo screenshots

I've just switshed from TS12 to 2009 again .
Lot's of troubles with heavy stuttering even with the videocard nvidea GTX 970 and the little screens in Surveyor and driver where flikkering .

When it comes to Trainz versions, everyone's favorite is just that, their favorite. For some it's just personal choice, for others, their hardware doesn't support later versions to the standard they want. You could also read any number of forum messages talking about this topic.

So thats why TANE laggs a lot on my pc. Thanks!

What kind of hardware do you have? There are many factors that can affect any kind of computer program including low RAM, a badly fragmented hard disk, low disk space, older video card, or even a low-end or older CPU.

Assets. Most of us have assets that after "upgrading" don't show up in the newer version. Of course you have to "repair" them. But the errors are sometimes hard to repair. I remember that in 04 there was a clever CM that would show in red what was wrong. But nowadays this is not available. Perhaps, somebody could make a program where you bring a faulty asset, and it shows what is wrong and what to do about it or discard it forever. Then for each "old asset", there should be a new one, even if not the same, that would do a close match. But all this is a wish...?

Yes, CCP shows in red what tags are wrong, but this is not an automated solution. You may have to modify the wrong tags instead of deleting them.

I offer myself to repair assets for anyone who sends me one via PM for any error or any Trainz version.

Assets. Most of us have assets that after "upgrading" don't show up in the newer version. Of course you have to "repair" them. But the errors are sometimes hard to repair. I remember that in 04 there was a clever CM that would show in red what was wrong. But nowadays this is not available. Perhaps, somebody could make a program where you bring a faulty asset, and it shows what is wrong and what to do about it or discard it forever. Then for each "old asset", there should be a new one, even if not the same, that would do a close match. But all this is a wish...?

Well said its more like you have to be a programmer to play the sim.

Well said its more like you have to be a programmer to play the sim.

So, lets say that you get into repairing your assets. I may have thousands of them... How long does it takes to.. try (maybe you succeed or not, depends). Weeks? longer? that is Trainz time you could spend playing using an earlier version without getting into frustrations.

While on the original thread, another point of frustration is that you have an earlier version with features you like. A new one comes and it has new ones! Great! But then you discover that some of the features on the older, are not there anymore! Then you have to weight what is more important, the older or the new. Is a game Yes? Don't get me wrong, I believe that N3V is doing an honest effort to satisfy all of us: A case in point is the freeintcam thing. It was omitted when T:ane come, and "back by popular demand", has been implemented a few days ago. But that is not the only one. Consider that time ago you could be inside of your cab driving it. A passing train flies-by, and you could click on the image of the other loco and be right there! No more, now you have to "exit" your loco and click on the other to change your location. Sorry, just venting my thoughts.

Hi --

Putting aside pc specs, previous Trainz versions can't compete TANE SP1 ...

From the old pack T12 is my fav, which I use for testing contents, etc ...

The bottomline, at least for me, TANE SP1 DRM does not call home, where as old version call N3V servers , which can be at moments a nightmare!!!

Regards
Ish

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
As already has been stated in this thread many forum members seem to have returned to earlier versions of the sim for reasons of system requirements or a particular earlier version suited them much better. In my own case I have gone back to trainz 10 from trainz 12 as that was the version I always found the best for me.

However, with Microsoft now having enormous success in marketing their hybrid surface 4 tablet running Windows 10 perhaps there is a new opening for these now unsupported versions. The above tablets are marketed in 10 and 12 inch screen sizes with a detachable keyboard and 8 gigabytes ram. They are certainly not cheap with the top end of the range on sale at over £1,200 (1714 us dollars).

Microsoft are marketing the above tablets as a replacement for both laptops and desktop PCs. As they weigh in at 3lbs they obviously do not possess large hard drives but in the main have around 128 gigabyte SSD storage dependent on version. They also do not possess graphic cards, but have Intel i7 core processors on board with integrated graphics which makes for a stunning display which can be cast to a much larger monitor wirelessly. I am no computer geek, but it has occurred to me that these tablets could well be capable of running earlier versions of Trainz such as 10 or trainz classics.

If the foregoing is the case then it could be very much in N3Vs interest to bring back support for these versions as a renewed stream of revenue. P
erhaps the more technical minded forum members could advise me and others of their thoughts on the matter, which speaking for myself would be very much appreciated.

Bill.

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
As already has been stated in this thread many forum members seem to have returned to earlier versions of the sim for reasons of system requirements or a particular earlier version suited them much better. In my own case I have gone back to trainz 10 from trainz 12 as that was the version I always found the best for me.

However, with Microsoft now having enormous success in marketing their hybrid surface 4 tablet running Windows 10 perhaps there is a new opening for these now unsupported versions. The above tablets are marketed in 10 and 12 inch screen sizes with a detachable keyboard and 8 gigabytes ram. They are certainly not cheap with the top end of the range on sale at over £1,200 (1714 us dollars).

Microsoft are marketing the above tablets as a replacement for both laptops and desktop PCs. As they weigh in at 3lbs they obviously do not possess large hard drives but in the main have around 128 gigabyte SSD storage dependent on version. They also do not possess graphic cards, but have Intel i7 core processors on board with integrated graphics which makes for a stunning display which can be cast to a much larger monitor wirelessly. I am no computer geek, but it has occurred to me that these tablets could well be capable of running earlier versions of Trainz such as 10 or trainz classics.

If the foregoing is the case then it could be very much in N3Vs interest to bring back support for these versions as a renewed stream of revenue. P
erhaps the more technical minded forum members could advise me and others of their thoughts on the matter, which speaking for myself would be very much appreciated.

Bill.

As you are requesting thoughts on the matter, I thought I'd better add my two cents in.

From the way I've seen it, there are four aspects involved here.

Downloading - this could be feasible although there is the issue of older version content being superseded by newer content which may pose an issue for older versions unless said users use the older FTP method of downloading content. From memory very old versions like TRS2004 and UTC didn't prevent installation of content not for that version or lower.

Uploading - this could be problematic for older versions below TS2009 for example due to conflicts between the checks required for versions, particularly on the Speedtree side and what tags are required or obsoleted - asset-filename and iconx tags (x usually being between 0 and 4 from memory although there may well have been higher ones).

Helpdesk support - this is one for N3V to answer although it may be a case of operating system compatibility in some areas which it's difficult to work around.

Patches - this is a similar situation, as operating system compatibility may play a part here particularly with very old versions.

As always, these are my personal views on the technical feasibility side of supporting older versions.

Shane

Shane, with regard to your posting at #18 of this thread, would it not be in N3Vs interest to overcome those problems as having Trainz on the surface 4 pro would mean they have for the first time a full version of the simulator on the mobile market which can easily be cast to a large monitor if wanted. It could still be taken with you anywhere and run on the 10 or 12 inch devise screen.

Bill

Last edited:
It probably would, although I'm not sure if the later versions would run too well on a tablet (ones like Trainz 1.x/UTC/TRS2004/TRS2006 may do though or possibly Trainz Classics) due to the graphics complexity involved.

Shane

Back