Stuttering

stouthm

Get over it
Seems like I'm getting one problem after other here lately. After saving a session and then resuming it after a few minutes or hours I'm getting a stuttering effect. Not as bad as a slide show but enough to want me to end the session. Doesn't matter what my settings are, it happens at all different settings. I've just updated my video drivers and in the initial session it's running real smooth, better than my previous drivers. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. My specs: 64 bit SP1, Intel Core i5 3570K, CPU 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 660 video card.

Last edited:
I have experienced this, I had to wait about an hour or so for my GPU to cool down. Since then I turned down my graphics setting and have been able to run all day at high not ultra. It may not be your problem but it is a possibility.

pdkoester - by Trainz I'm guessing which version you're asking for. I'm running the latest version of TS12.

Ken - just ran a core temp test and of my 4 cores the highest was 78 C which is about 172 F. All the others were in the mid to upper 60's C. What is considered high? Just had a thought. I'm going to check out some of my other routes and see if I get the same thing. I'll be back.

Maybe it's your equipment that's just toooo highly strung, just like the premier footballer, who only needs a slight tap on the ankle, then spends 3 weeks in agony & needing physio.
Whereas the brickie on the building site can whack his hand wiv a lump 'ammer & after 2 minutes cussin' & blindin', is back at work wiv no probs. ;)

pdkoester - by Trainz I'm guessing which version you're asking for. I'm running the latest version of TS12.

Ken - just ran a core temp test and of my 4 cores the highest was 78 C which is about 172 F. All the others were in the mid to upper 60's C. What is considered high? Just had a thought. I'm going to check out some of my other routes and see if I get the same thing. I'll be back.
I really do not know what a good temperature range is, I just want on what a friend of mine suggested because they were having a similar problem.

You might find this helpful here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/549001/gtx-660-recommended-operating-temperature/

and

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/366863-33-safe-tempature

The optimal operating temperature is the one where the card doesn't start slowing things down if the video card goes beyond its safe operating range. At this point, the GPU will start slowing down to cool off its components. There is nothing wrong with the card doing this as it saves the hardware, but that causes the stuttering to occur.

You maybe able to use other tweaking utilities as well, which may or may not come with your video card. If this is an EVGA, look at their PrecisionX, which may work for your card. Good airflow is truly necessary for good temps. In addition you may need an additional case fan, and even do a bit of cleaning inside the case if necessary to keep the components cool.

John

Last edited:
Sorry I took so long. We went to our daughter's for dinner. I think we all missed the point here. I started new sessions on 4 different routes and they are run very smoothly. After saving each one I resumed each session and that's one I get the stuttering. After saving a session. The temp is the same at the initial session and at the resumed session so I don't think it's the temperature. I think that tomorrow I will go back to a different driver and see what happens. If any one has other suggestions I'll give them a try. Thanks for looking in.

Sorry I took so long. We went to our daughter's for dinner. I think we all missed the point here. I started new sessions on 4 different routes and they are run very smoothly. After saving each one I resumed each session and that's one I get the stuttering. After saving a session. The temp is the same at the initial session and at the resumed session so I don't think it's the temperature. I think that tomorrow I will go back to a different driver and see what happens. If any one has other suggestions I'll give them a try. Thanks for looking in.
Yes I had this problem in TS12 also, never did figure out how to fix it. As you say it ran fine but when I saved and reloaded it was shuddering and the loco sound would cut in and out.

Ken, you're not a bearer of good news. I found the trainz options and I have items in there that I can't explain. I'll list them here but I might start a new thread. I read someplace here on the forum that there only a few things that you actually need if you're running TS12 but before I delete them I would like some input from other members. Here are my listings: DebthBits=24, StencilBits=8, Jet=Bin, Cabinfov=60, DefaultAutoMip=none, DynamicVertexBufferSize=4194304, DynamicIndexBufferSize=196608, and VBO. I have no idea what some of these do or who put them in. Any help will be appreciated.

In the interest that this thread may help others I will continue to post on my findings. It's NOT the drivers. I ran 3 different versions for my card and got the same stuttering on all 3. I lowered my frame rate to 30 and deleted what I thought was unnecessary items in my trainz options. Nothing has helped. I will continue. Stay tuned.

It's on an SSD. I did try running in Open GL with the same results. I forgot to mention in my first post that this stuttering just started recently. I was enjoying running my various sessions but not now. I'm actually thinking of installing T:ANE.

Back