Some AI drivers can't tell time.

JonMyrlennBailey

Some AI drivers, depending upon train vehicle type, when given a Wait For (Two Minutes) command at a stop, like to take off about 15 seconds too soon. Do AI drivers even have watches or clocks in their cabs?

Last edited:
Well, I would at least think they would follow the computer clock. Trainz has its own clock on-screen too. How accurate is the Trainz clock?

I have mentioned this before... he hasn't obviously seen the search function up top!
If every person on the forum posted a new thread for each "Problem" they encountered there would be millions.
There must be something wrong with his trainz as I've never had that many problems before.

By default the Quick Drive sets the game time to 2x actual time. Try setting the time back to 1x and see if that works. In fact it might because I've used the real time which I matched up to my own computer clock nearly to the minute. This made it easier for me to time my medication because I need to take medication every 3 hours on the dot. I look up at the time in Driver and know it's that time to take pills - I take about 16 to 18 a day, on a good day...

Now, this is in a perfect driving scenario such as one where there is a long uninterrupted time span with little traffic. If there is a lot of drivers, the computer and simulator can get a bit bogged down keeping track of who is doing what. Remember it's not just the trains on the screen which are being tracked. There is also an underlying thread or maybe there are many underlying threads for tracking signals, AI commands, interactive industries, other consists, and so on. This can and will take time slices, as they are called, from the AI driving, and this can throw the clock off internally.

The thing is Jon, this is a game and not a true simulation in the sense of being exact to true life. If it was true to life, I'm sure many of us wouldn't want to deal with it as real life is not always fun.

John

Here goes my grain of salt: I have not noticed too much deviation on time, and if so, I don't care so much. What really troubles me is that if you issue the "wait for" command to happen some time during a run, and you save the session. When you come back, that time is gone and the vehicle sits there waiting for you to delete that "wait for" and issue a new one. Saving sessions do not save everything you do. Conversely, if you bring a train to a portal and while is in there (to be produced later) you save the session, it will not be produced when you open it again. I have been able to get around the first example, by running al my AI trains off schedule library. There everything runs as it should. Looks like you are new to this, but in fact I have been making observations about this for many years by now. And I don't talk about it anymore, so as not to fill the bag more than what it is.

Here goes my grain of salt: I have not noticed too much deviation on time, and if so, I don't care so much. What really troubles me is that if you issue the "wait for" command to happen some time during a run, and you save the session. When you come back, that time is gone and the vehicle sits there waiting for you to delete that "wait for" and issue a new one. Saving sessions do not save everything you do. Conversely, if you bring a train to a portal and while is in there (to be produced later) you save the session, it will not be produced when you open it again. I have been able to get around the first example, by running al my AI trains off schedule library. There everything runs as it should. Looks like you are new to this, but in fact I have been making observations about this for many years by now. And I don't talk about it anymore, so as not to fill the bag more than what it is.

I've noticed that too and the problem has been with us since when, around TRS2006 and then when the portals were introduced I think TRS2009 or thereabouts. It's one of those things you learn to work around like a lot of things with lots of programs and life in general...

I agree that the time is quite accurate when the clock is set to 1:1.

John

Here goes another one on this matter: You set the time and use a clock installed at a station. (all stations should have a clock, yes?). So, depending on the type of clock you use, it will maintain accurate time after saving a session. There are a bunch that do not and stay at 12:00 not moving, but in the original session they did. Oh, the ones that work right, track time even if set at X4. Not a real bug, but a pecularity.

Back