Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M120: Module for Model Railroadz

Happy to see so many join this topic and hopefully also the creation process . Good questions; let me try to answer them as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gp792 View Post
    Thanks for the modules oknotsen! I'm not that great at building Model Railroadz, but these are just the ticket to help me out.
    Happy I could help .

Quote Originally Posted by gp792 View Post
    And, if you do not mind me making a suggestion; How about "plexiglass" as a spline to place around the edges?
    I have put "Figure out how to create a 'see through' object" on my lists of "things to learn with Blender" some time ago, but disappeared under trench and other objects I ended up making.
    Once I found time for that and figured it out (bit overloaded by daily and hobby work at the moment), I will see what I can do to make that possible.

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminw View Post
    So can we use any track, or do we need to use the one on the base modules?
    You can use any type of track, as long as it is available on the DLS and you use Standard Gauge for the main line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricke82 View Post
    I'm sure there is a very good reason, but why aren't the track centers aligned on a grid line rather than half way between?
    I can see both middle and out-of-the-middle have both their advantages and disadvantages and ended up choosing for this, but not without doing some investigating:

I spend a few hours on fairs and browsing the internet for examples and pictures of modules and the majority of what I found had the tracks out of the middle. When I asked for why they made that choice, this was the main answer I got:
    - When building modules (in the real world) and building a lot of scenery, people usually want to build this on the "far side" of the board so not the block the view of the actual trains. On the other hand, when people want to make a landscape module, it is easier to let the tracks curve / sway (not sure what the right English word is) through the landscape when already starting out of the middle.
    I did some minor experimenting with that and had the similar experience. I initially started with tracks in the middle and either had things block my view of the train or ended up with wide boring grass fields on one side.

If you prefer to have the tracks in the middle, there are a few options, but let me mention the most basic:
    - Let the tracks make a nice S curve to the middle
    - Starting 120m from the edge, add a few meters of board to the south of the tracks
    I am happy to make an example for the later if you like.

I also have a question about the peninsula module (the image in benjaminw's first post). It appears (at least to me) that the two ends of the module are not in the middle of the bottom baseboard. Wouldn't they need to be in order to connect other modules?
    That only appears to be. This example has 2 baseboards north-south of each other with the connection being in the middle of the south board.
    For the thumbnail, I simply had the choice of showing more grey area or have the shape slightly more visible. I can see the possible confusion my choice causes.

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    Just downloaded all of them. However, the large supports are being very annoying. Reason why is because whenever I try to rotate something, I end up rotating the floor.
    Two solutions:
    A: Do what I do and delete the floor and put it back when ready
    B: Put it in a different and locked layer and merge it back in your main later when done

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    Also, I'd suggest using bendorsey's dig holes. There is more than the 4x8 version.
    Take the digholes that work best for you.
    Ben made a few, ish made a few, itareus made a few and I also created a lot of them. All for various reasons and sizes. I created my own as I had trouble finding the nearly invisible "glass" that Ben uses for his digholes when draging digholes around, so I created a 60x60 one using clearly visible triangles in the corners; that's it. Ben's look better in Surveyor. In the end, it does not matter; all look the same when in driver: Invisible.
    Again: Use what is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by trucks91 View Post
    Question will there an east end version of the loop you have posted? I seen the west end on DLS I was just curious.
    I will make a basic East end loop.
    If later someone else steps up and creates an alternative "end loop" with some scenery, I am happy to use those when merging the modules later.
    Last edited by oknotsen; February 18th, 2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Typos and stuff

United States of America, Missouri, St. Louis

Thanks for the response. I’m sorry, my first question wasn’t clear. I understand why the tracks are closer to one edge than the other. What I wondered was why the track centers weren’t aligned to a grid line. In your examples the track centers are 22.5 and 27.5 meters from the (closer) edge. It would be easier, at least for me, if they were 20/25 (or 25/30) meters from the edge so that I could align them to a grid line rather than trying to get them centered between the lines.
    Rick

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood." - Tom Robbins

Earlier I forgot to reply to Roy3b3, so doing that now. I took the liberty of cutting up his post in 3 parts. The "track" question I covered earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy3b3 View Post
    I think it is a good idea
    Thank you Hope you are willing to join!

I also think if each 'modeller' were to upload their designs to the DLS then a designated " Key File Name" followed by an identity tag (such as M120: Frednerks 01,02, etc) should be introduced at the outset; otherwise there could be hundreds of uploads and no one being able to locate them.
    I think you make a good point.
    I thought about that earlier and forgot to add that, but no damage has been done yet, so might as well bring up that point now: A naming convention.
    I agree with your suggestion: Probably best if we start every module name with "M120", but having trouble with deciding what sort of construction we should add behind that. I am up with every fitting name for your module, but open for suggestions / idea's / discussion on that one.

We probably also should give the junctions and track markers a different name than the automatic numbering. That avoids problems of things having the same name after merging.
    I personally like using an abbreviation of 2 or 3 letters followed be a number or description (or both, like I did on my Standard12 project route). Curious what you think, so open for discussion.

maybe the modules could be linked via a tunnel which would allow more flexibility to each layout that presents a new scene. In that way maintaining textures would not be that conspicuous.
    The side effect of giving everyone the freedom to use every texture and rail type they like will cause visual transitions at the edge of the modules, I agree on that. Since they are all parts of Model Railroadz, I hope nobody will be bothered with it that much. So in my opinion use every texture you like.
    However,
    What I could do is create a "barrier". I have seen those things being used in pictures and shows. Simply a 120m long wall with a 10m gap in it to fit the trains through to the next module. How about that?

Thanks for the response. I’m sorry, my first question wasn’t clear. I understand why the tracks are closer to one edge than the other. What I wondered was why the track centers weren’t aligned to a grid line. In your examples the track centers are 22.5 and 27.5 meters from the (closer) edge. It would be easier, at least for me, if they were 20/25 (or 25/30) meters from the edge so that I could align them to a grid line rather than trying to get them centered between the lines.
    Yup, I clearly misunderstood you.
    I made that choice years ago for the soul reason of texturing (so I didn't even think about it this time; even took me some time to remember why I started doing that). I figured when the tracks are on top of the grid, the ballast texture was not wide enough to my liking, so I started putting the tracks in between. If you prefer them on the grid for creation of your module, just make a very soft S-curve and move it to on top of the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by trucks91 View Post
    Cool thanks.
    You're welcome. Hope you will consider creating a module .
    Last edited by oknotsen; February 18th, 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Are JR SafeTran signals on the DLS?

Also I would be willing to make an east loop If I had a base module. (I cannot seem to get the floor/table part right)

1 Corinthians 10:31

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post

... might as well bring up that point now: A naming convention.
    I agree with your suggestion: Probably best if we start every module name with "M120", but having trouble with deciding what sort of construction we should add behind that. I am up with every fitting name for your module, but open for suggestions / idea's / discussion on that ...
    This is probably way more complicated than it needs to be (or that anybody wants to put up with), but to get the ball rolling I’ll suggest M120 – Type, Join Points and Size.

Type: Side, Corner, Loop (considering a Portal as a form of Loop).

Join Points: Since we’ll have nothing but squares/rectangles, there are two possible Join Points per side. Starting on the North edge going counter-clockwise you have N1, N2, E3, E4, S5, S6, W7 and W8.

Size: The size of the of the actual module minus any “extra” boards that could be deleted without harming the module.

Using oknotsen’s modules on the DLS as examples:
    M120 - module example 1 (1 baseboard, basic),<kuid:645812:12005> M120 - Side, E4-W7, 1x1
    M120 - module example 2 (2 baseboards),<kuid:645812:12006> M120 – Side, E4-W7, 2x1
    M120 - module example 3 (1 baseboard), <kuid:645812:12007> M120 – Side, E4-W7, 1x1
    M120 - module example 4 (2 baseboards),<kuid:645812:12008> M120 – Side, E4-W7, 1x2
    M120 - West end loop,<kuid:645812:12002> M120 – Loop, E4, 1x1.

Yes Virginia, us old retired geezers have way too much time on our hands.
    Last edited by Ricke82; February 18th, 2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Let's not go there
    Rick

Connection definition between modules:
    Modules are on the Eastern and Western edge connected with each other by a 120m wide base plate in the middle of a baseboard.
    The rail connection is a dual-track main line, positioned between 20m and 30m of the south-side of the 120m wide plate.
    First 20m of track are straight on both East and West end, after that up to the choice of the designer.
    First 20m of baseboard on both East and West end are flat, after that up to the choice of the designer.
    You haven't specified the track spacing or the height, and I think the identification of the track position needs to be at the track centres, not the edges, because there is no rule about how wide the track mesh must be.

United States of America, Nebraska, Lincoln

How about doing some narrow gauge modules?

This is probably way more complicated than it needs to be
    It looks like you gave it some serious thought, but don't have enough time and energy to go over this (and your PM) right now; way to tired after a long day of work. I hope you don't mind me coming back to this (and PM) during the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmegaminer View Post
    check this out
    A sweet Tiny shot, so hard to see, but I get the impression you are of on a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
    You haven't specified the track spacing or the height, and I think the identification of the track position needs to be at the track centres, not the edges, because there is no rule about how wide the track mesh must be.
    I had hoped the screenshot was clear enough, but I think you have a point (and apparently I made some silly assumption), so let me try to clarify:
    Edge of baseboard to edge of plateau: 300m.
    Northern edge of plateau to centre of northern track: 92.5m
    Distance between centre of north rail and centre of south track: 5m
    Southern edge of plateau to centre of southern track: 22.5m
    Track spline height: 0m.
    All these numbers are for the first 20m on each end of a module.
    Hope that clarifies things. If not, please let me know because maybe I misunderstood you.

I'll update the picture and description this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by jregner1955 View Post
    How about doing some narrow gauge modules?
    Main line is standard gauge, but nobody is stopping you from creating a module that has a standard gauge main line and some 4 baseboard narrow gauge local line. Maybe with an exchange area or something?
    I say: Give it a go . Interested in what you will create.

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

I had hoped the screenshot was clear enough, but I think you have a point (and apparently I made some silly assumption), so let me try to clarify:[INDENT]Edge of baseboard to edge of plateau: 300m.
    Northern edge of plateau to centre of northern track: 92.5m
    Distance between centre of north rail and centre of south track: 5m
    Southern edge of plateau to centre of southern track: 22.5m
    Track spline height: 0m.
    If you use the S_FT_straight_2-50-5m, starting from the left side of the board, you'll notice that the track on the right side is a little closer to the edge than the other end of the module. If the modules are designed to be connected end-to-end, this slight misalignment could cause a problem when joining the modules.
    Trainz - Easy as Pi

No hurry. I'm not going anywhere--at least I hope not.
    Rick

Blog Entries

Could the signal requirement be dropped, or could someone help me do signals? I want to contribute, but I can't do signals.

Also, for some reason, the modules aren't showing up on the DLS, but I searched the kuid and it came up as an unknown asset, and when I clicked on it the thumbnail was there.
    Last edited by MeowRailroad; February 19th, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
    Supporter of spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Main line is standard gauge, but nobody is stopping you from creating a module that has a standard gauge main line and some 4 baseboard narrow gauge local line. Maybe with an exchange area or something?
    I say: Give it a go . Interested in what you will create.
    you could have the ng going north to south with a transfer module? just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by MeowRailroad View Post
    Could the signal requirement be dropped, or could someone help me do signals? I want to contribute, but I can't do signals.
    There's a pretty good tutorial at http://trains.0catch.com/tutorial.html. It was written for 2004/2006, but most of it is still applicable. I checked this morning and the site's still up, but it was slow.
    Rick