how do I transfer routes between computers?

charles_d

Hi there... I am back into trainz after a number of years away.

Because of computer perfomance limitations I am using my old 2004 version.

I have a situation with two computers...what I want to do is develop routes on one and be able to transfer these to the other computer, say by using usb memory stick.

How do I go about this? (I have been looking through the documentation I have..but if the info is in there I have not found it!!)

I would appreciate any help

Thanks charles_d

Easy: How big is the program with everything on it? and how big is the USB stick you have? Copy and paste everything and transport to other computer. A second option is to install the program in the new computer and copy the local folder from the old one to the new one. It works!

Thank you very much for the quick reply.....my logistics problem is that the second computer is physically remote...I am designing a layout for my model RR club at home and wish to take updates to the club to show the troops on the club computer.

In searching my Trainz 2004 installation I can't find a "local"directory....as far as I can establish, what I design appears in the "Auran/TRS004/cache/sessions" directory...

Is it enough to pass copies of the "sessions" directory between the two computers or is it more complicated than that?

In TRS2004, the files/folders you require are in the World folder (Custom and Dispatcher, as well as anything contained inside).

Shane

If you have TRS2004 installed on both computers and only want to transfer a route (or routes) rather than the whole program. why not make a CDP (or one for each route) and use that/them to install on the other computer?

Ray

Reason why we did not mentioned the CDP way, is because if you CDP the route and a session, it does not transfer all the assets. Doing the World or Local, takes everything in one shot. If your route does not have third party assets, just what comes in the game, yes, CDP will work.

Indeed, hence my advice. Glad to see that's worked though.

Only one thing to watch out for though. You may need to delete world_cache_dispatcher.chump which is normally in the Cache directory from memory.

Shane

Back