TransDEM and high quality ortho images - new route possibilities

Derekc75

Trainz Veteran (TEG)
I have just completed a route with the latest version of TransDEM v2.5 64 bit version. Using TransDEM 2.5's new CDP for ground textures (TransDEM Ground Textures Orthoimagery 128 V1) I am able to get very acceptable "painting" of ortho imagery on Trainz routes. I downloaded images from the Microsoft Virtual Earth Map Tile server set at Level 17.

Here is an image from the "satellite" view:

And below is the "ground level" view:

The route is 180 km (about 110 miles) long and the final route is 414 X 157 baseboards in size (at 5 m per baseboard). The route has a size of 380 Megs. The amount of detail on the route is amazing as you can see above. This would probably not have been possible without the 64 bit version of TransDEM. This will only work where there are "hi-rez" ortho images available (in this case Montana, US).

TransDEM paints only 1 pixel per 5m (with the 5m terrain grid in Trainz). But the new texture set will create a much more natural reproduction of aerial image colours. TransDEM also provides the creation of UTM tiles with even greater detail but it would take much more effort to create a route of this size. I captured the route in three separate sections in TransDEM and then combined them into a single set for export the Trainz. There were more than 1200 tiles captured at 2048 pixels each.

This might change how some routes are made because you can use ground textures etc. near the tracks and keep the ortho imagery for mid to far distance. It would save a lot of work and still look acceptable.

Cheers,

Derek

I just noticed that myself recently now that you mentioned it.

Is that Havre, MT?

The hill with the tracks next to it and then the strip of stores and restaurants looks very familiar. I traveled out that way in 2012 on a storm chasing trip.

John

Is that Havre, MT?

The hill with the tracks next to it and then the strip of stores and restaurants looks very familiar. I traveled out that way in 2012 on a storm chasing trip.

John

Indeed, it is Havre, MT. You were obviously paying good attention as you were "chasing" your storm!

Cheers,

Derek

Indeed, it is Havre, MT. You were obviously paying good attention as you were "chasing" your storm!

Cheers,

Derek

Yup. Whenever there's railroad tracks and rail yards, I pay plenty of extra attention. :) I've seen plenty of areas that have quite interesting rail operations on my travels. In this case we happened to be going that way and stopped for lunch. I ate at the McDonald's next to the yard and watched the switching and the two Amtrak Empire Builder trains pass each other.

The level of detail is testament to how I was able to recognize the area from your image.

John

Back