Kiwirail hits toxic buffer

The DL locomotives were manufactured in China, the first 20 imported about four years and the other 20 last year.

KiwiRail said they had specifically stated in the contract with the manufacturers that asbestos and other toxic materials not be used.
After asbestos was found in Chinese-manufactured locomotives in Australia last year, the company sought and was given assurances that the locomotives were made without asbestos.

If it's cheap, there's usually a reason. ;)
Buying from China, just because they can do it cheaper than other suppliers, is asking for trouble. :D

The asbestos is sealed inside the paint, so its harmless. Figure how much it will cost to strip and repaint the locomotives, then bill the manufacturer, use them until they can be repainted and pull them one at a time to be stripped and painted.
Asbestos is only dangerous if you breath large amounts of dust over a long period of time. It's not radioactive so simple presence is not harmful. Just don't breath it.

The problem then lies in the release of the asbestos from the paint when you start using power sanders to remove the
old paint, before applying the new.

Besides that, a contract was agreed to & that contract was quite specific.

Last edited:
The problem then lies in the release of the asbestos from the paint when you start using power sanders to remove the
old paint, before applying the new.

I work for KiwiRail. Fellow workmates and I do this kind of stuff regularly.

Not pleased to say the least.

This is a very serious matter for us - Locomotives aren't like houses for example; they vibrate and contort, are exposed to all sorts of weather and running conditions. Paint doesn't stay contained when its bubbling off from rust or heat or being scratched by vibrating components. Any employee deserves a safe workplace - for the time being these locomotives are not that. Luckily we've had minimal contact with the DL's at Hutt (my workplace) however plenty of other staff around the country in the same roll as me cannot say the same.

Asbestos is only dangerous if you breath large amounts of dust over a long period of time.

Just no.

-Will

Last edited:
Back