Grammar Lesson.

BLACKWATCH

Mechanical Engineer
As nobody seems to be interested, I have edited this post to save forum space.
Now there is no reason for anyone to get upset & I will change to posting using any old
spelling I can be bothered with, as this appears to be the excepted norm. :(

Last edited:
Now & again I slip up, but some on here make the same mistake 3 or 4 times in one post, that's not an error, it's ignorance of the correct grammar.

Everyone's first language is not the King's. Let's enjoy Trainz and the comrade.

John

It's 'The Queens English' actually, has been since 1953. ;)

Besides that, don't you think it's better for me to post something that will help others to improve, rather than someone else
picking fault with their posts ?

Well, BLACKWATCH, I suspect all your posts will be scrutinized for errors from now on, you'll have to make sure they're all grammatically perfect! Good luck.

Hmm. Could this result in BLACKWATCH submitting fewer posts?

Yes, fewer posts, not less posts! A very common error and one of my pet hates.
More and more reputable broadcasters and politicians get that one wrong - daily! Irritating in the extreme.:(

Hmm. Could this result in BLACKWATCH submitting fewer posts?

Yes, fewer posts, not less posts! A very common error and one of my pet hates.
More and more reputable broadcasters and politicians get that one wrong - daily! Irritating in the extreme.:(

With a bit of help from your own post which I was ignoring up until now:-

I'm just a dumb old retired Truck Driver with 2 honorable discharges and 2 civilian police commendations.
and I can't spell worth a darn.
I'm a better man than you will ever be....
I better stop now cause a don't want to get banned.

I detect two errors, one grammatical, one historical. :)
Those errors didn't escape my attention either. The Queen's possessive apostrophe is missing and the accession to the throne was in 1952 with the Coronation a year later (I still have my junior school mug).:)

@domsarto
I managed to ignore all eight (more or less)!:D

Well if you're going to be a grammar nazi, I'll be an acronym one. The correct term is 'RTC' not 'RTA', for 'Road Traffic Collision'. That and no one really uses "RTC" in day-to-day language, it's more for radio use. (and I'm sure you'll get someone here from the states who will correct you on your spelling of 'honour')

But ya there are a lot of people on here who do not use English as their first language, some that don't use English at all. Not to mention a lot of American teenagers who probably don't know "proper" grammar (I say this as an American young adult).

peter

Well if people don't want to learn, they can't be helped, I shall not trouble myself in the future.

As for the faults with my post, I did say I slip up, but the Queen isn't officially the Queen until she is crowned & has taken the oath. 1953. ;)

The English language, like many others, is an evolving form of communication. If you were to travel back in time I doubt if you could understand the King's/Queen's English of 100, 200 or 300 years ago. Try reading some of Agatha Christie's novels. The grammar is excellent but the "language" is dated. Great books though.

One can only imagine what it might be in another 200 years time. Many of the indigenous languages of the world will probably perish through lack of use and some global language of the form of English/Spanish/French may prevail.

While shure, sumtimes ther is casez to corect speling, i think confusin the words dose & does. does aint dose r more inportant!

While sure, sometimes, it is worth correct spelling, I think confusing the words "does" and "dose" could be considered more important. Dose is not does, or is that does is not dose?

I think it's only worth it, if the post can't be understood.

At times people may need to shorten words, as they may be on a mobile device, where it may be difficult to time.

If I may add to the list of words people often confuse here on the forums, I would say 'advice' (you ask for or give advice) and 'advise' (you advise someone else to do something).

Kieran.

Back