Model Railroadz

I've created a small layout (more a model railway) which I'm presently working on. It has a dual track electrified passenger train operating from portals that serves two stations, whilst freight trains run iron ore, as well as, coal from mines to various processing plants. A lumber delivery train also runs between the mill and a lumber outlet. All this on a single baseboard. Although fictitious, I wanted to keep an Australian flavour, so I'm running NSW passenger units which happen to run on the RH side for a change, yet motor cars still run on the LH side. A Chinese Coal train and a BHP Billiton Ore train look after some activity, whilst a NSWGR 48 Class looks after the lumber. Here's a short video of just a small segment. It's called "Somewhere" but nowhere near complete.

Cheers,
Roy3b3

Last edited:
Nice little layout and video there roy.

I like small layouts.The challenge is to work within the confines of a small area and get various traffic to work together within that space.

You've done a great job.

Hi trainboi --

I've given up on all the complications of adding a ceiling. Instead I now use a the sky "pommie-sky 7". It's just so much easier.

Phil
I was trying to remove an annoying grid from one layout, and couldn't figure out how to select it...Are you saying that ceilings are actually created as "skies," rather than elevated objects? Maybe I just don't know how to select objects at higher elevations or something...

I am finding that the Model Railroadz are becoming more interesting to me the more I use T:ANE, to the point that most of my downloaded routes now are...well, yours, Philskene. Thanks!

Nice little layout and video there roy.

I like small layouts.The challenge is to work within the confines of a small area and get various traffic to work together within that space.

You've done a great job.

Thanks hotgrove, I'm nowhere near finished and I should point out that I'm a little unconventional when I build routes. If I do like a particular style of rolling-stock, then I don't really care much whether it is relative to one particular country or area, and so I'll use it, providing I think it looks good on the route. A bit like mix-n-match colouring.
Cheers,
Roy

E776C1D4236B7E30370C9FBD2D6B298C4A7B54A8

13CEC45C905F572DB06AB909EB4F9A6E6F781105

Reminds me of an Atlas track plan in one of my track plan books I have.

Reminds me of an Atlas track plan in one of my track plan books I have.

That's probably because it is layout HO-23. It is actually a possible iteration of my model railroad upon completion(I have since settled on an era around 1928 because that's a lot easier to reproduce).

You forgot to tell them that you built that route so well trainboi1 that you decide to not only model your layout in Trainz but decided to model your bedroom as well (because I know you told me that bunk bed is modeled after yours) ;)

Hi Joel --

No, no -- ceilings are elevated objects.

I dislike them because:
a) When constructing the layout they are a right pain to insert.
b) After placing them it's a right pain to make alterations to the layout because when you zoom out for an overall view, all of a sudden your view is blocked by the ceiling.
c) They are a pain when driving a session because, again, when zooming out in the 4-key view all of a sudden you see naught.

Actually, I don't think I've uploaded my more recent model layouts - the videos shown earlier in this thread. They use that pommie sky which is a plain dark colour. The new layouts are "pending".

Thanks for the comments about my work. It's appreciated.

Phil

Hi phill Going to add them to my work in progress since it is in a basement
1. Going to add them last after I am finished playing with the route
2. I find the best way of helping to make them not a pain is put them on there own layer, When I first seen the idea of layers I never thought it would be so useful, If you did put them in before you completed the layot this way you could just hide them while you worked on the layot

Hope this helps

Tom

My Millersville Terminal shelf layout. Crosses a bike path and goes by a depot, then there's industrial park switching with the lead track passing an office park and vehicle dealer and NS interchange.

Bike path and depot:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%204.00.33%20PM_zpsmzvmwxlx.png

Arnold Sweeteners:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%204.00.25%20PM_zpssoiatxe9.png

Hooper Lumber Supply:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%204.00.21%20PM_zpsngkyevwu.png

Regional Dairy Warehouse (not rail served):
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%204.00.18%20PM_zpsekwwlqke.png

Millersville Times printing facility:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%204.00.13%20PM_zpsr0pu5wqy.png

The old BP gas station, being taken down by 4th Wall Demolition Co:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%203.59.31%20PM_zpscxm2aizb.png

The Cross-Country Fruit Distribution Co (with the drainage pond of the nearby business park):
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%203.59.21%20PM_zpsbiqambrv.png

Industry Leaders Business Park (This building is owned by Industcorp Industries Incorporated) and the vehicle dealer on both sides of the interchange, which is the steel-tied diverging track:
Screen%20Shot%202016-03-23%20at%203.59.15%20PM_zps3stq0i9t.png

Sorry about the unfinished room scenery. I may release this if I can find a non-DLS place for it.

Hi Joel --

No, no -- ceilings are elevated objects.
Phil
Thanks for the response, Phil. This particular route that I was tweaking has an elevated grid for the ceiling, but every time I try to delete it, I seem to delete something else. I also can't seem to get the kuid for it, in order to search for it and then delete it that way. I'll keep searching, though...

I find the grid shadows on the baseboards to be quite annoying, and the issue you state is true when zooming out.

Perhaps there would be some good room for improvements in future releases of T:ANE...

Thanks both of you. I also feel that I've gotten a lot better. One thing that made this interesting is that I tried to closely follow the style in which kimo505 builds, and I'd say it was a success. I studied his screenshots deeply for this, and noticed the trackwork, which buildings he used, trees, etc, and that was helpful for improving my routes.

Working on the 1st "model" railroad ive ever truelly done for trainz. I personally think its trash but its based on a real model layout based in Missouri on the Frisco.

4146cd004228d17c23fcc4c4e378bfc4.jpg

59d6b8fb119fbb4fe08b543f29636f78.jpg

I personally think its trash
I guess we disagree. I think it looks pretty damn cool.
Hope you will share it in some way. It looks like a great MP or "model train spotting" layout: Not too big, not too small, decent opportunities for switching or just driving around. I sure like it.

I guess we disagree. I think it looks pretty damn cool.
Hope you will share it in some way. It looks like a great MP or "model train spotting" layout: Not too big, not too small, decent opportunities for switching or just driving around. I sure like it.

Thanks, ya I plan to have it up on The Erecting Hall sometime this weekend.

Back