Model Railroadz

Another look.
deepwater2009-4.jpg

Off topic, I know, But your message box is full (My probable reasoning listed below.)
I know you probably get a ton of messages per day with the same question, "When will the 261 be released?"
My question is different.
Where will it be released?
On the DLS?
A file sharing site?
Just where?
I have the same question everyone else is asking, which is when, but, if you don't have an answer for that, i understand, the where is what I'm worried about.
Thanks, and Cheers :wave:

417c5625ffc7908f19aa4e1c884eacbb.png
27757c0e6f064e164bb2b7082d4175cf.png

Thanks to JR for Model Trainz Pack One!!!!! This Is my first ModelTrainz Layout which was done in about an hour and a half

Nice Start judahGrice :)

This may help you & anyone else looking to make a start in model rail style building...

I thought that I might do my next route as a sort of "build log" to maybe try and show everyone my thought process and how I create since there is a bit of science (well, more maths really) behind my madness.
I'll confess straight away I'm not a writer by any stretch and my prototype knowledge is basic at best :) but there might be a few hints and tips that are new to some. So where to start?

All my MR projects start with setting out the space and baseboards, this is probably due to the fact I find it easier to work once my spacial parameters are defined. I'm a commercial estimator for a plumbing company by trade so walls, floors and doors come easy to me. I'll generally have some inspiration with regards to what I want to achieve in the space but really I'll just wing it and see what looks good. Sometimes just placing a building can set the tone of what will end up in any given area.

For this project the inspiration was a plan in Model Railroad Planning 2014, The Iowa Interstate Grimes Line by James McNab (here's an online article of the same). I really like the idea of small, low revenue freight with the option of multiple mainline interchange which should lend itself well to VR modelling. While I'm not going to copy any part of this design it should give a good idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. Scenery wise I'm still undecided but it will probably be very similar to The Old Room line in one of the previous posts.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not a writer so on with the useful bit.

PART 1: Build The Room

This is 3x1 baseboard layout so I normally start by mapping out the area using the ruler tool (the diagonal lines indicate the void space). The route will follow the outer walls 4.1' wide with a double width peninsula through the central section to give maximum (yet simple) line length.

5wd1wrdm.3kb.jpg

Next step is to place the floors (missed that shot sorry, but they run in the void space at -45) and the lower ceilings around the boards that sit behind the valance. Try to leave a 5-10mm (1/2" for you imperialists) inside the ruler line to avoid these poking out through the face. Then overlap these with whatever main ceiling spline you choose (a contrast in colour/texture works well)

tj4sn5lp.pjk.jpg

Next up set the heights. I used 140 for the main ceilings and 80 for the layout false ceiling although go with whatever looks right to you.

nehgkzxw.n3m.jpg

Now run around the rulers with either a plain fascia (if you want to add visible supports) or fascia with curtains (if you're lazy like I am). Once these are in place follow around the same space with the valance spline just on the inside face of the fascia spline (see the reason for the gap in the previous point). Head around and set the heights for the valance, again this is whatever looks right (I think I used 120 from memory). It's good to get this in place now as it's a pain to fix later on.

fzbdvogz.3tx.jpg

Stating to take shape already!

Now pick out the void space with whatever dighole works, by complete coincidence my voids were 12 gridlines wide so 2 6x6 digholes worked perfectly with only a bit of mucking around needed at the end of the peninsula. These will need to be dropped to -50 to go under the floor spline.

fwp0eu3w.3qr.jpg

Now add in whatever walls you want. I've used the MRR HO scale white since they're quick and easy (and again, I'm lazy). Just remember to lower them so the skirting is under the baseboard level, -20 works ok behind the curtains or -45 if you want them visible at floor level. You could also use the E piece in a square to represent a structural column in a large open space but I'm going with the peninsula wall as structural so I didn't need them (ok, that bit is the technical builder in me).

znic3ejc.uwu.jpg

Knock out the rulers and there you have it. One large open space.

y0nvvjnp.gck.jpg

Next up... track laying (maybe) :)

Thank you eso for the short tutorial & the images to go along with it. This does shed some light on getting started with the basics.

I've have a few questions of sorts? What kind of frame rate are you guys getting on these layouts. And would you recommend a minimal cpu to run these. I love the work, but I'm running in a lag issue with my own work. And see this as a possible solution, without a rebuilding a PC. :)
1ffl.png

I've have a few questions of sorts? What kind of frame rate are you guys getting on these layouts. And would you recommend a minimal cpu to run these. I love the work, but I'm running in a lag issue with my own work. And see this as a possible solution, without a rebuilding a PC.

On my Macbook Pro from 2006 I get very smooth running with the test routes I'm trying out. I use the trees I linked to earlier and the older RRMods rolling stock and am pleasantly surprised. If I had the ability to turn off shadows I could get much better frame rates. I have a core duo 2.16 and x1600 256MB video card. Very useable in windowed more.

Railwoodman --

The frame rate will depend both on your PC and the number and density of assets used in your routes.

For a comparison, perhaps download the two Model Trainz layouts that I have uploaded to the Download Station, "Federal Street Switching Yard" and "Deepwater Railroad Co". You should get very good frame rates from both of these.

Phil

eso --

My approach to constructing a model trainz layout is almost exactly the opposite to yours.

Even when following a published track plan I'm never sure exactly how much space will be required by the track work.

So I lay the track, add scenic items, do the terra forming and texturing, and last of all do the model trainz bits - dig holes, walls, floor, fascia, backdrops and supporting legs.

Thanks Blake. Yeah I pop in from time to time but now I have popped in to much. I just spent the afternoon reinstalling Trainz and gettting it all patched up. My wife won't even look at me now! lol

Jason

1280_3366653332363434.jpg

@paks44, edc dock 7789-TRS2010 / msgsapper / Kuid:439337:100164 / DLS .

Best regards

Epo:)

Wow, Epo! Your best yet I would say :D
I know those trees on that hill are Pofigs but I don't know the specific name. Could you please let me know? they look perfect for my Aussie layouts :hehe:

Keep it up mate! :D
Cheers
Stevo

Wow, Epo! Your best yet I would say :D
I know those trees on that hill are Pofigs but I don't know the specific name. Could you please let me know? they look perfect for my Aussie layouts :hehe:

Keep it up mate! :D
Cheers
Stevo

Actually I believe there from here. http://bbf11.krb.com.pl/?polska-roslinnosc-do-trs,102 They're billboard trees, I don't know how there made, but they work great in Trainz 12 and I hope more content like this is made. The page is in polish but the download button is at the bottom. It opened up in Winrar for me, just click and hit enter Content Manager will do the rest.

Some more WIP shots.
Chadd04_20140307_0000_zps5b89ee2e.jpg

Chadd04_20140307_0002_zps755fe67b.jpg

Chadd04_20140307_0003_zps13938565.jpg

Chadd04_20140307_0004_zpsac23d3c5.jpg

Back