Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago 1940's WIP pics

Default Chicago 1940's WIP pics

No scenery yet, just tracks for now.

Is that 21ST Street?
    Trainz NS Railz Co-owner and Trainz Divide route builder

Yep.
    (10 characters)

looks good so far, I considered this project but had no official idea on how to. Can't wait to see how this turns out

You know you get farther with sugar than vinegar.

I plan for the bulk of the project to be the PRR Panhandle and Ft. Wayne divisions, but I will do Dearborn, Union, LaSalle, Central, and Grand Central stations first. Currently, I have track done from Union to Englewood.

Excellent track work! That is one hell of a crossing in the first picture! O.o

I have always been a big fan of large Railroad stations and I look forward to seeing Chicago's stations set in my favorite time period, the 1940's.

I'll be watching this with great interest!

Very best of luck.

Dave

Hallo,

I wish I would have more time. I created three preliminary PCC Streetcars which are part of TS12. But I also planned to create some Chicago PCC Streetcars e.g. the Green Hornet. This could run at such an early Chicago route back in 1941 just in case you will create some street car lines as well. But perhaps you will concentrate yourself in creating the RR’s only.

Anyway – I am still quite busy finishing my MILW-Avery-Drexel-Project, but I never gave up the intension to work further at the streetcars :-)

I wish you all the best for your project.

Your’s TUME

PS.: Isn’t is the case if I create the whole Milwaukee Road from the west to the east - I one day would meet your Chicago route?? I am looking forward to that time.
    Last edited by tume; July 10th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeDooley View Post
    Excellent track work! That is one hell of a crossing in the first picture! O.o
    Its a only four quadrant diamond now in real life XD.
    Trainz NS Railz Co-owner and Trainz Divide route builder

In its heyday 150 trains a day passed through 21st St., not including freight trains and transfer movements. In adidition, the ATSF coach yard and engine facilities were there, and you could seeteh B&OCT/SCAL tracks and tbe RI/NYC tracks going out from Grand Central and LaSalle St. Station. In addition, you could see EJ&E trains going over the C&WI and PRR diamonds just about a mile down the tracks. It was a busy place, especially during WWII, with the addition of troop trains and such.

Edit: I just realized the compass direction was off... way off. I am not going to restart it, as I have Grand Central Station, Union Station and LaSalle St. Station done. If only there was a way to rotate a route...
    Last edited by jacksonbarno; July 10th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.

If you are going to go through the trouble of creating a proto route use a DEM or it will all be a waste. TransDEM offers the highest detail but even one created through MicroDEM will atleast give you accurate locations of tracks, roads and rivers. Creating with MicroDEM is fairly easy, there are good tutorials online.
    blaaaaah

Some areas require no DEM as they are flatland ... ie: Chicago, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, the Strasburg RR ... the terrain never varies more than 20' in any direction, and few gradients are involved.
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; July 10th, 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cascaderailroad View Post
    Some areas require no DEM as they are flatland ... ie: Chicago, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, the Strasburg RR ... the terrain never varies more than 20' in any direction, and few gradients are involved.
    You keep telling us this for years, but seem less convinced these days when I look at some of your other postings.

I don't want to hijack this thread, therefore only a brief reply. Whole story here.

DEMs are only one aspect of geospatial data. The other is proper scale. And if you use topo maps, why not include the DEM, just a few minutes more work, and you already have your river beds formed.

Chicago flatlands:

USGS historical collection, 1953 edition (which is closest to the era of the project presented in this thread), in Trainz Surveyor:

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't really want to spend the money on the type of software that brings DEM data into Trainz. Also, I can get accurate enough by going off of track maps and videos from the era, so I don't need a map for where the tracks are, after all, watching the videos of the era and scouring over old pictures is fun!

Blog Entries

It helps to make sure you lay them correctly though. I would get transDEM, but I don't have a PayPal or bank account.

Cheers,
    Joshua