World Origan Container .......need help

JimDep

For a route I'm working on, I can't get the latitude and Longitude numbers for the World Origin "sun dial "to save in the route edit.

Using the Atmosphere Editing, I entered the correct latitude / longitude numbers from Google Earth , along with the altitude in meters, and it all reverts back to zero...some times to a different setting I've never put in........but usually to zero. In the route's config file, I also plugged in the numbers there and it made no difference.

I did a search and saw that it has caused others problems in the past but not finding a solution that's working for me. Some say that theirs works fine. I'm using T:ANE SP3. If anyone has had success with this, or there's some bug in the programing, please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
From memory, it has been a while since I used the Sun Dial, the entered data has to be in decimal degrees. For example 30 degrees 20 minutes 15 seconds South must be entered as 30.3375 (30+20/60+15/3600). Altitude must be in metres. In practice the lat/long is only needed, with the date, for the season of the year - it has no other purpose. The altitude is only needed for those assets that have a snow effect layer built in (and not many do).

Also take a look at the Wiki page on lat/long at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools#Location

Also the Region asset at [url]https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Create_a_Region_Asset[/URL]

For a route I'm working on, I can't get the latitude and Longitude numbers for the World Origin "sun dial "to save in the route edit.

Using the Atmosphere Editing, I entered the correct latitude / longitude numbers from Google Earth , along with the altitude in meters, and it all reverts back to zero...some times to a different setting I've never put in........but usually to zero. In the route's config file, I also plugged in the numbers there and it made no difference.

I did a search and saw that it has caused others problems in the past but not finding a solution that's working for me. Some say that there's works fine. I'm using T:ANE SP3. If anyone has had success with this, or there's some bug in the programing, please let me know.
Thanks

The World Origin tool in the Environment tab has issues. The marker object does nothing that I can tell.

Edit the config.txt directly for best results. Visit this page for more information on how to correctly enter the text for the config.txt file.

https://cdetrainz.com/tutorials_latitude_longitude_conversion.aspx

The World Origin tool in the Environment tab has issues. The marker object does nothing that I can tell.

The main issues is that it does not do what many users expect - i.e. set an exact geographical location for the route with all the trimmings that would come with that such as sunrise and sunset times, winter temperatures, etc.

The world origin marker (the sun dial) simply holds the entered coordinates. Delete it and the route will default to being in Berlin (why I do not know). As I mentioned in my previous post the lat/long N/S together with the calendar simply defines the season - January = summer Southern hemisphere and winter Northern hemisphere. This is mostly (if not entirely) for those assets that have seasonal effects such as speed trees. I do not know what the East/West setting does.

The entered geographical data is stored in the route, not the session. The date data is stored in the session.

I simply set it and forget it.

The world origin marker (the sun dial) simply holds the entered coordinates. Delete it and the route will default to being in Berlin (why I do not know).

I edit the config.txt file for setting these settings. I just tried removing the marker as a test, and it did not revert back to default, it kept the settings. So like I said, it does nothing that I know of.

Thanks for the replies and checking into this.
The suggestions given, I tried last night..late into the morning hours...including the Wiki page. No matter what settings I plug into it, it keeps going back to all zeros. A few years ago, when I started this route, I did set it and forgot about it. I never re-checked it, thinking it was good to go.
For the heck of it, I went back yesterday and clicked it to see if it held....and it didn't .

I was hoping that it set the atmospherically correct sun position for the northern US lighting, but pware just said it doesn't do that anyway. This might be just a waste of time. It bugs me that it stays at zero, or when I hit reset, sometimes it will come up with some coordinates that aren't even close. I go back to the config file and the numbers are correct.
I took a look at a few other routes to see what's going on........but the few routes by other people that are still loaded are over a decade old , and the World Origin sundial isn't even there. Short story long, it's probably not worth the time, I just wanted it to work......... If I do spend more time on this and get it to work, I'll sure let you know. In the mean time........I'm going to read your posts again and give it another shot ! I keep thinking there's that ONE number I'm putting it in ( or not putting in) that's messing it up. Driving me nuts.

Again, thank you for taking time out to lend me a hand. Much appreciated !

Last edited:

Edit the config.txt directly for best results. Visit this page for more information on how to correctly enter the text for the config.txt file.

Wow........no, I did NOT see this last night .

So it's best not to have that sundial at all.....now to try and delete it. I'll go back and read that link carefully. THANKS !

UPDATE:
I found this point interesting and a little concerning:

" The last icon is a wrench or 'Get world origin'. DO NOT USE. Our tests have shown that certain combinations of actions can result in your Route becoming corrupted, previously set altitude reset to zero and coordinates set back to some sort of game preset. Use our tools above and edit your config.txt file instead, and you will not have to deal with the broken interface."

"Some sort of game preset" it says......so that must be those weird coordinates it sometime reverts to instead of all zeroes .

Before reading this above, I got rid of the sundial / birdbath.....went back to the Atmosphere edit (selection from the menu on the left in Surveyor) , clicked on the World Origin tab, clicked on the RESET button, and even without the sundial there, it gave me those weird coordinates that I never put in. With those coordinates, looking around, WITHOUT changing the clock, I notice that some of the vegetation was a lighter shade. I clicked RESET again, it went back to all zero's and that same vegetation returned to its normal and darker shade. I hit reset again, hoping it would go back to the weird coordinates, so I could post screen shots to show the comparison for what I was seeing. It wouldn't go back......just all zero's after hitting RESET repeatedly. Maybe after re-opening the route, it will do that again. I really don't want those lighter shades anyway, but I did want to show in pics what I saw. That World Origin does effect the lighting, but getting it to do what it's supposed to, I haven't figured out.

and later that same day............

UPDATE: (breaking news)
One thing I learned........don't put the elevation number in the config file now if you've been working on a route for a few years. Even resetting it at ZERO threw all the other elevation changes off, so I set the altitude in the config file to make up the difference. Elevation numbers are right again.

Regarding the rest of it.......I inserted the latitude / longitude numbers into the calculation chart provided by Chrstopher024, pasted them into the config file and I'm going to call it good. It looks like using the World Origin container edit to see if the numbers show up in Surveyor might mess things up, and would probably reset it to all to zero again or produce those weird preset numbers that lightened up some of the vegetation. As long as the numbers are right in the config file and the Surveyor scenery doesn't look any worse, I'll leave it at that.
Christopher's signature is " Don't fix it if ain't broke". I think I'll try " Don't fix it if it was broke to begin with".

Last edited:
Back