Windows 10 and missing .directX9 file

nimec

Recently after having installed win 10 it took out a couple of .dll files. One for TANE which I subsequently fixed and TANE is now running again, and one from Ts12. Its Ts12 that is the problem.
With the exception of 'Content' all selection choices on the Ts 12 launcher will open and work by when I try to open Ts12 Content manager get the message.

'This program cant start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem'

I have been sent a copy of the .dll file by a friend and installed in in my Systems 32 etc, but Ts12 CM will still not open and I still get the same message
Its as if its not reading/seeing the new .dll file. A previous search of the system32 showed that the file was not there but after dragging the new one into it the file it now shows in the system32 folder.

Shane or anyone out there with knowledge on DirectX, what do you think is stopping Ts 12 CM from seeing the new .dll file and any suggestions to how to fix it?

My Ts12 is build 61388, and is run as administrator. I have tried it with the administrator off but no changes and tried it under both Win7 and win 8 compatibility but still the problem is there. Cheers

Last edited:
the other day, when I went to go install DirectX9, it told me that it was not compatible with Windows 10, which i find VERY strange.

Thank You Shane. I did that and it fixed the problem. Your help is very much appreciated. I have quite a collection of 3rd party payware routes and locos in Ts 12 that I want to gradually bring over to TANE so was not looking forward to the alternative if I couldnt get into Ts12 Content Manager.

I used the Automatic download version. Given Zeldaboys comment above re Win 10/DirectX9, I was preparing to use the redistributable version in case the Autodownload failed, however there was no problem. Appreciate the help that you give us. Cheers

Back