Will Trainz ever come to consoles?

Noloplayz

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of Trainz ever being on a console. weather it'd be on xbox, playstation, switch. this has been in my mind for a while and I was wondering if Nv3 games might do this in the future. if so. it would be really cool!

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of Trainz ever being on a console. weather it'd be on xbox, playstation, switch. this has been in my mind for a while and I was wondering if Nv3 games might do this in the future. if so. it would be really cool!

That's actually a good idea, however since most consoles lack the ability to enter the file system and install stuff, you'd basically be limited to the DLC. There would be no content manager nor would there be any sort of importing or exporting like Trainz on mobile.

I remember bringing this up a while back, alongside a version of Trainz for Linux. I kinda see Trainz on consoles working, but definitely just Driver - I do not see Surveyor working on a console, and only really on the Switch in portable mode, but that's a stretch. Be interesting to see Trainz on consoles, though - and I would be first in line to buy it, too!

Also, by chance... why do you have no registered versions of Trainz on your timeline? Do you play on mobile or did you illegally get a copy of Trainz? Just checking...

Last edited:
Almost definitely not going to happen.

Trainz isn't, and never really has been, a game that you can just "pick up and play" (maybe excluding the mobile versions, which I don't have). Sure, there's a few pre-scripted sessions on the built in routes but it takes a few hours maximum to complete those. The real allure of this sim is the editing tools - even if you aren't creating your own routes you're still probably using surveyor semi-regularly to set up your own sessions. Imagining trying to control surveyor with an Xbox controller gives me the shudders.

I've said before that I believe Trainz is more rooted in "model railroad" traditions than it is in "video game" ones.

A train simulator on a console? Sure, if it's designed for it.
Trainz on a console, though? Not unless it's essentially a completely different game.

Last edited:
Back