Where to go ????

DRS337

I have been running UTC for a small while untill recently when I bought a complete collection with UTC, TRS2004, and TRS2006. I want to expand my gaming ie move onto scripting scenario's but know nothing about scripting, but the SCS alternative offered by TrainzProRoutesis is looking pretty good.
The main question is this, which is the better system 04 or 06 and (other than the obvious one is newer than the other) what is the main difference between them . Some direction needed please, as my brain has jumped into neutral and wont let me do anything untill its been given somewhere to go.

I want to ... move onto scripting scenario's
Yep, SCS is very good, or you can write scenarios in TrainzScript - see this elementary step-by-step tutorial.

For TrainzScript scenarios you'll need TRS2004.

For SCS you can use TRS2004, TRS2006 or TS2009, and probably (not yet confirmed) TS2010.

TS2010 is due to be released soon, probably before Xmas. It might be worth waiting to see what that offers.

John

SCS 2006 will only work with the original 2009 WBE as the route files were the same as TS2006. 2006 and first 2009 had 720 grid coordinates per section while later versions of 2009 had 1440 grid coordinates per section to fit new 5 meter grids. This meant the route files couldn't be read properly using SCS2006 for new 2009.

So back to my original question - what is the difference between the two systems 04 and 06 and which one would I be better concentrating on with SCS ???

So back to my original question - what is the difference between the two systems 04 and 06
Opinions differ wildly and debates quickly get passionate as a search on this forum will reveal. I'll try to adopt an n-pov but it's not easy.
* 04 uses kuid folders for assets, whereas 06 uses a database which some people find difficult to understand and unreliable.
* 06 has a uncurable sound bug which affects some users but not all.
* 06 has a few other more obscure internal quirks.
* 06 cannot create TSO files or TrainzScript scenario templates. Nor can it inherently run 04 scenarios. However, this gets very complicated and experts can create scenario-like activities for 06.
and which one would I be better concentrating on with SCS ???
There are versions of SCS for 04 and 06. Sorry, I haven't used either enough to know if they differ much or which is better. Thackalane at TPR is the guy to ask as he is the genius who created SCS.

John

There are many more capabilities in SCS 2006 than in the 2004 version. More commands and better application of them. SCS 2006 can do TSO files for you.

2004 and 2006 worked well for me and I Beta tested SCS2006 with Mike. Many enhancements went into it.

DSR337, which version works better for you. 2006 worked better for me in speed and ease of use but that is my personal experience.

The 2006 version will transfer easier in way of use to SCS 2010 as that is the base where 2010 was developed from.

EDIT: By the way I only have 2009 on my system now.

cheers guys thats given me something to think about. I think for the time being tho, I'm going to dig in with 04, firstly because it has kept all the download content from UTC that I spent hours downloading and secondly, the main concensus appears to be that it is the better platform to learn SCS on, initially anyway. But as I already have 06 I probably wont be able to leave it alone and will end up fiddling with it anyway

Thanks to all Dave.

Back