What include in route and session layers

angelsd

Hi:

These comments are related with the ítems should be included in the routes and which ones in the layer.

The routes I downloaded from DLS do not include, usualy, rolling stocks, locos, and the industries are not programed, these are made in session layers.

Mi general comments is: Why?

I considere that if you include all elements mentioned before, you will not need to include in every of the sessions you generate later.

Locos depots and yards can include different types of locos and rolling stoks

In industries you can define all products that such Industry can produce and needed, quanties and rolling stoks to carry them.

In such a way later, when you are preparing a session, almost steps are already done or even you are free to move your products without a previously programed session. also if, in the future, if you want to modify something in the routes, you will not loose all locos, rolling stoks, industries parameters etc. for those you have spent a lot of time to define.

I apreciaste comments

Layers contain only mesh objects (like buildings, tracks, roling stock , ...), all the other things (ground, ground textures, rules, commands, property settings) are saved in data files.
In Trainz versions before TS12 property settings (for signals, industries ...) were only saved with the sessions. In TS12, every time the map is saved, the current properties are saved with the session too (but not rules and commands).
Rolling stock shouldn't be included with the map, to make it easier for session creators using different consists.

Peter

Last edited:
Rolling stock and session rules go into the session, everything else goes into the route.

If you have problems with setting up the industries (and maybe some default rolling stock) every time: Make a "master" session in which you set everything correct and copy that every time you want to create a new session.

Rolling stock and session rules go into the session, everything else goes into the route.

If you have problems with setting up the industries (and maybe some default rolling stock) every time: Make a "master" session in which you set everything correct and copy that every time you want to create a new session.

I have used this "method" for years, even before the layers. It makes working on routes and sessions so much easier and prevents putting stuff in the wrong place.

John

Putting rolling stock items into the session layers also means that you can create totally different session scenarios (e.g. industrial, passenger, historic, etc) using the same layout/route. I also use session layers to provide different scenery options for the different session scenarios. For example - lots of activity such as delivery trucks and full worker car parks at factories, goods waiting on loading docks, etc for a weekday industrial session scenario, and, using the same layout but in a different session scenario, platforms crowded with onlookers, roads alongside the track with parked cars and spectators to watch a run by an historic steam train on a Sunday with all the factories shut down (no trucks, parked cars, goods awaiting pickup).

Back