What DID the "black widow" Southern Pacific F7's pull?

9000DOLLAR

INACTIVE
This may fit in better in the "prototype talk" forum, but I thought I'd ask here.

What exactly did those old "black widow" F7's pull?

Was it passenger cars or freight?

If it was passenger cars, what kind?

If it was freight, there's no confusion there.

And if it was both, I'm confused about which passenger cars they pulled.

For passenger cars, I'd suspect they hauled SP's later silver-liveried passenger cars with the red letterboards. Just a guess, though. I've seen photos of black widow F-units at the head of freight trains, but not passenger trains. The only loco liveries I've seen on SP's named passenger trains were the daylight and bloody nose schemes. But I'm just guessing based off photos I've seen.

I do know the black widow scheme was used on SP's commuter train locos around San Francisco, hauling two-toned gray gallery cars.

Last edited:
They pulled everything from Passenger trains to piggyback freight to sugar beets:

4153.1347741570.jpg

3574.1341075496.jpg

2544.1306288925.jpg

7523.1273583154.jpg

4065.1168538400.jpg

For passenger cars, I'd suspect they hauled SP's later silver-liveried passenger cars with the red letterboards. Just a guess, though. I've seen photos of black widow F-units at the head of freight trains, but not passenger trains. The only loco liveries I've seen on SP's named passenger trains were the daylight and bloody nose schemes. But I'm just guessing based off photos I've seen.

I do know the black widow scheme was used on SP's commuter train locos around San Francisco, hauling two-toned gray gallery cars.

Now all I have to do is find those at a hobby shop. :p
(Might be impossible though.)

SP had FP7's- passenger: slightly longer for steam generator
F7- freight: regular F7
F3- freight:regular F3

The black widow scheme was SP's freight scheme, and the daylight was their Passenger scheme. The black widows did pull passenger service in the summer, when steam heat was not needed.
TJ

The black widow scheme was SP's freight scheme, and the daylight was their Passenger scheme. The black widows did pull passenger service in the summer, when steam heat was not needed.
TJ

Actually FP7's came in black widow, more commonly trains that pulled daylight named trains were in daylight colors, those include gs2/3/4/5, E7, PA and, E8. The passenger variants of freight locomotives such as the FP7 and GP7/9 were originally in black widow until changed to red/ Grey along with all other diesel units and at that moment, most daylight train consist were changed from the daylight scheme to silver with red stripe

Last edited:
Unfortunatly, the model train I got was made incorectly. Bachmann only molded 1 headlight into the shell on their black widow F7. (they didn't even use a "dummy" light) Could it possibly be that it is a different engine altogether labled as an F7? (maybe an FP7?)

If it's an FP7, what kind of passenger cars did those pull?

If it's just a mistake made by Bachmann, I just won't worry about it and continue to pull pullman green "Southern Pacific Lines" heavyweight cars and random freight cars behind it.

Last edited:
Back