Western Iowa (Large Resolution Warning)

Looks like hometown High Bridge (I think that's what it is called) on the RBMN.

It sure does, up north of Tamaqua near Mahanoy City on the RBMN main line. I've been through that area myself.

This one I think photo'ed out in Iowa or Nebraska.

John

Very nice! and very cool. I've read the UPR runs the freights at 70 mph across the new bridge!

John

Yes John that is true, the North Track (CNW-E.B.) 141 Ib. ribbon rail with concrete ties. The South Track (CNW-W.B.) 136 Ib. ribbon rail with concrete and wood ties. About half the trains change crews at Boone and the other half are Long Pools that run-thru (Missouri Valley Ia or Fremont Ne to Clinton, Ia). Both mainlines are CTC bi-directional but it makes a difference what Dispatcher is on duty. If you have an old CNW Dispatcher he likes left-hand running the other Dispatchers like it (what we call it out here) U.P. style. U.P. Dispatcher Headquarters are in Omaha, in the old days the CNW Dispatchers were in Boone. They had a Boone West and a Boone East Dispatcher, each one had a little room about 6 ft x 8 ft and had a wooden table they sat behind with their black route board in front of them. The boards had few lights and every once in a while a bell would ding and the dispatcher would press his foot pedal on the floor and talk into the pullout microphone and say..."Is that you 6866 by Woodbine"? He would hear the Engineers reply and he would write it down on his 2 ft x 4 ft train sheet. Them were the good ole days!

U.P. Harriman Dispatch Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU080ixw8aY

When I was out that was a few years ago now, I saw the UP doing the track upgrades. We were chasing in and around Clinton and then up to Council Bluffs and Omaha that trip. Don't be alarmed if I mention such a big spread of territory. It's not unusual to cover 8,000 in 10 days or even 12000 miles on another. It depends up on what kind of show and where Mother Nature wants to give us. :)

That's a great story about the dispatchers and reminds me of the old Boston and Maine days, long before the B&M dispatcher operations were pulled to Billerica and Guilford (Pan Am Railways today) had taken over and consolidated things. There was a small dispatcher offices in Lowell, and Lawrence that handled both the locals and the long run through traffic from Portland to Mechanicsville. I would hang out down in Lawrence and watch the guys man the table and blackboard as you described. Then in 1982 Guilford took over and moved it all to Billerica, closed everything up, and ripped up a lot of tracks too. Around this time I got my first scanner and would listen to the radio chatter which could get amusing at times. There was a switcher stuck in a branch and the engineer read the riot act to the dispatcher, who was now in Billerica. The switch was one of those remote controlled jobs and the train couldn't proceed until the switch was aligned for him. The engineer said, "Hey Bill are going to be stuck here all day? The LASE (Lawrence to Selkirk) has passed by" The dispatcher answered, "Oh sorry Joe, I forgot to set the switch for you..."

I remember the old CNW left running and watched that in fascination when I stayed in Palatine IL for a couple of weeks as I did some repair work for Walgreens at their repair center in Mt. Prospect. The motel, the Best Western actually, was located right along Route 14 (I think) which paralleles the CNW Fox River line. I didn't sleep the two weeks I was there because I spent the nights watching the parade of Chicago Metra commuter trains and the numerous freights all night. :)

John

Back