Weird Terrain Anomaly

rjbradley

This is the first time I have come across something like this. Below is a screenshot from Route Editing of a strange terrain behaviour. It seems as if there are two sets of coordinates for the terrain at the same location. The textures are seeing the terrain as flat, but the Turfx objects are seeing a mound at this location. The terrain was a real pain to shape in this location. Anyone seen this before? Is there a fix?
Terrain.jpg

Have you tried using the Ground Tool (Surveyor Classic) or the Brush Tool (Surveyor 2.0) set to the particular TurfFX layer to remove it?

I thought a video would illustrate the issue clearer.

As you can see the textures follow the actual terrain grid, but objects like the bush on top and Turfx are following something else. There are a few of these in this specific area of the route, but so far this is the only area where I have come across this.

I've run into a similar thing before when I used a dig hole object such as a tunnel portal. The splines, grass, and even ballasted track lifted up like that. Do you have any tunnels nearby, or something else that has created a hole or edge?

Well after some more precise locating of the anomalies, they are in fact on baseboard boundaries and one offending baseboard is still 10m grid size and the others are 5m grid size. I did a test conversion of the 10m baseboard and it initially made a mess of the terrain along the baseboard boundaries, but then after a couple of minutes it suddenly all cleared up except for a couple of small areas.
I'm going to make a backup first of the route before saving the 5m changes just in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Success! The baseboard did update properly to 5m and it mostly took the shape of the previous 10m terrain. Textures and objects and Turfx are now moving together when the terrain height is adjusted. There were about 5 tense minutes waiting for it to happen, but it finally did. All the anomalies are gone now. Lesson learned.

Back