Vista Installation File Locations

hornbyOO

Occasional User
I maybe teaching some to suck eggs, and to those I appologise and it may have been explained elsewhere again I apologise, but I couldn't find it, but I thought it may be of some interest.

If you installed TRS2004/TRS2006 in Vista as a user with administrative rights (pseudo administrator), certain directories/files (i.e local) will end up in that users area and not in the usual Auran directories under "Program Files".

Unfortunately this will mean that any files you create as this user will not be available should you then run the program with compatability mode set to "Run as Administrator" or as another user on the same computer.

To see these files you will need to be able to see hidden files and folders, to achieve this

Open "Control Panel", select "Appearance and Personalization"

Select "Show hidden files and folders" under Folder Options

Select "Show hidden files and folders"

Select OK (You can then close the windows)

Now open a "Window Explorer"
and drill down to ("" = in my case)

"C":\Users\"Keith"\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006\local

auran.jpg

CMP will deposit any downloads into this area if TRS2004/TRS2006 is run as the user not in compatability mode

but in (my case) if run with compatability mode set to "Run as Administrator" then they will be in the usual location

C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2006\local.

This other way this could cause a problem is if thye program was installed as a real "administrator" (not pseudo administrator) in which case all directories/files will be in the usual location, and other users will have to run in compatability mode "run as administrator" or they won't see the files.

All very complex and a right pain when it comes to editing and file access rights.

Last edited:
I imagine those with Vista will find this helpful, it's a revelation to me! Thanks for posting it.

I run Vista without the UAC (User Account Control) active, so all my content is installed in the "right" place. That is something worth knowing. Cheers.

Chris

I installed the application as a real administrator so there was no problem at all. I recommend that once the program is installed, make sure that the shortcuts (aliases) are setup to run the program as adminstrator, and that all of the exe files in the Auran/TRS200x/bin and Auran/TRS200x are given full administrator access.

John

Hello

After you have installed Trainz Classics or TRS2006 as a administrator on Microsoft Windows Vista:

Right Click the following files in the Trainz Classics or TRS2006 Directory below and select compatibility tab and tick the small square box ----> Run this program as an Administrator.

TC or TRS2006.exe
ContentManager
CCP
Launcher
Trainz
TrainzDiag
openGLextensions
gsc
gse
TrainzUtil

Same rules apply for TRS2006.

Regards

Ahsan:)

Loading Trainz2006 Archives into Window Vista

Thanks for those details.
Having just purchased a new PC with Windows Vista I had to reload Trainz2006 and Volume 1 and 2 of the Routes. Everything now works fine.
The problem I now have is getting my Archived assets from my old PC, running under Windows XP, into my new system. When I import the file into CMP the Archive Pane lists all the assets as "New Asset" with zero bytes, i.e. rubbish.
Is there a way round this problem, or will I have to copy and confirm each individual asset (several hundred in my case).

I believe there are various ways to achieve this, I personally copied the old XP files into the TRS2006/local directory, deleted assets.tdx and let CMP rebuild the database. Not sure this is the recomended solution but it worked for me.

Back