Virginia & Truckee

(click for larger version)

*snip*

Over the years, the buildings fall away. Materials are 'salvaged' from what's left. Noting remains except the remnants of the turntable pit.

I think i hear the ghostly whistle of the No. 5 (there, happy Milwaukee? :hehe: )

Last edited:
Rebirth!

Bob Gray, a rail fan from California who had ridden on the V&T on several occasions, started thinking about rebuilding the V&T as early as 1965. He started purchasing property and applied for easements to re-open the railroad. In October of 1973, Bob Gray completed the first part of his rebuilt V&T - a 40x100 foot engine house located at the site of the original engine yard.

OK so that's where this is. So that would make St, Mary's of the Mountains and Tunnel 6 just out of view to the upper right? I though this was in Virginia City itself, or north of it; which confused the heck out of me as to why there was track passing by the yard.

(sorry, i'm a bit of a visual person...if i can't imagine where it is in real life, i'm sunk).

hmm, that would mean No. 29 is coming up soon, eh? :hehe:

Yeah, you're pretty close. If you look at this drawing http://wnhpc.com/details/map0005 about 2/3rds the way down on the very left edge, you can see the roundhouse just sticking into the drawing.
St. Marys and tunnel 6 are a bit further than just outside my drawings, but they are in that direction.
Does that help?

The tracks did pass through the depot area in central Virginia City (where the freight depot still is) before turning east toward the Union. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a good map to post....

Curtis

By the end of 1975, rail once again connected Virginia City to Gold Hill; with the first revenue run occurring the following year.

In 2011, the Virginia City engine yard is once again the hub of a busy short line!

Hmm...all that's missing is No. 29
Unfortunately, you'll have to settle for No. 27 (which actually looks pretty close to No. 29, the difference in wheel configuration not withstanding).

Updated version of cabooses 9 and 10 (as built) are now on the DLS.
I've taken the opportunity to clean up the model a bit; consolidating materials, and add swaying and brake animations. I've also retextured them to more accurate colors, using Andrew Brandon's illustrations.

Enjoy!!
Curtis

caboose_9_as_built.jpg

Jolly nice caboose Curtis. I love the small door to the platform with the brakewheel, looks exactly as those in my home build in 1920. :hehe:

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

What happened to the layot, was it completed, will it run in 2009 sp3?, Have all the nice V&T locos and stock I downloaded, some only work in 2009.

Like the caboose what version is it?

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks, Jan - the caboose would make a good house, wouldn't it? :)

Tom,
The layout is still in progress. I'm currently laying track through Washoe Valley.
I'm working in TS12 - I doubt it would run in earlier versions.

The caboose is TS2009 and later due to N3V's restrictions on uploading to the DLS (and the fancy normal maps and scripting)

Curtis

Next versions of Cabooses 9 & 10 are now completed and on the DLS:

No_10_1876.jpg

This is after the first repainting in 1876. They didn't much go for a unified corporate paint scheme.....
Thanks again to Andrew for the color plates this is based on.

Curtis

Next versions of Cabooses 9 & 10 are now completed and on the DLS:

This is after the first repainting in 1876. They didn't much go for a unified corporate paint scheme.....
Thanks again to Andrew for the color plates this is based on.

Curtis

Wow, very nice Curtis and thanks! Keep up the great work.

(click for a big version)

A shot of West Carson City, looking east toward the Capitol. Washington Street is in the foreground. Still a lot to do, but it's taking shape....

Back