Virginia & Truckee

A similar companion building (now on the DLS) - the carpenter shop at the west Carson yards. Built in the early 1870's it only lsted until 1875, when it was moved to the main yards, expanded, and became the paint shop. It has automatic opening doors; same as above, so you can drop a car off for minor (or major) repairs.

carpenter_shop_1.jpg
carpenter_shop_2.jpg
carpenter_shop_3.jpg

Enjoy!
Curtis

Steamboat Springs; ca 1871:

In 1871, the railroad started extending the line from Carson City to meet the transcontinental railroad at Reno. By October, they had built south out of Reno to Steamboat Springs. Construction stopped here for the winter, and a small town sprung up. Activity was very high as freight destined for the Comstock was shipped to Steamboat via rail, then loaded on wagons that went the rest of the way to Virginia City over Geiger Grade.

Last edited:
Thanks, Norm and KenRuof!

I need to finish up the scripting on that geyser, then I'll upload it.

This area had quite a few geysers as well. The chuffing from all the geysers is what gave the area it's name. An earthquake killed that particular geyser in 1900, and installation of a geothermal plant killed the remaining ones around 1987. The main geyser field was out of the screen to the right, and up the hill a little.

The next shot is in 1880.

The rails were completed to Carson in 1872, and with that connection, activity at Steamboat dropped dramatically. The large freight depot was moved to Carson, becoming the Carson freight depot. Some other depot buildings were build, along with a hotel and baths to take advantage of the hot springs. An engine house and turntable were also built. Across the top of the screen, the Steamboat Ditch was completed; bringing additional irrigation water from the Truckee River.

Curtis

Wow, this route has that style straight out of the wild west era. Keep up the good work on this Pencil42. Your work has always amazed me for several years since you first join here. :)

I'm loving this Curtis, nice work. I hope the 4-4-0's can get update to TS12. Keep up the good work, maybe some day we can try our the route.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!

In 1900, an earthquake shuts down the geyser. In the meantime, the engine house and freight depot have been removed. The turntable has been replaced by a larger model, and the switch relocated to the other side.
Within a year, a fire will wipe out the majority of the buildings on the other side of the track.

By 1930, the A-frame turntable has been replaced by a second-hand iron table; the highway to Carson has been paved, and a new steam bath building has been built.

The scene up until a few years ago was essentially unchanged. The railroad is long gone, but remnants of the bridge over Steamboat Creek are still visible from the road. New buildings are starting to go up around the baths, and housing and commercial development are starting to encroach.

Curtis

Wow - it's been a while since I've posted in this thread.....

So, in the last couple years I've done a fair amount of work in Minden:

minden_10-13-2016.jpg

And Carson:

carson_1_10-13-2016.jpg

carson_2_10-13-2016.jpg

carson_3_10-13-2016.jpg

Still a long way to go, though...

Curtis

A railroad to remember

:wave: I have been thru some of this area, on my way to Carson City many a time over the last 50 years......

Your Route and Story is heart warming, it was nothing short of amazing how the RR's were built back then in the 1800's, lots of back breaking work for sure, they didn't have any power equipment per say, and that's were you found the Real GANDY DANCERS, RR workers that could really swing axes, Shovels and Pics to move the earth and the Steel, I should probably say Iron Tracks, 20 foot Sticks if I recall correctly, and 8 Men to carry them, not counting rough hewn Ties......

https://www.google.com/search?q=hewn+wood+ties&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

to hold it all in place........Better have plenty of Water and good protein Chow to keep these Iron Workers busy laying the Route.......And not only that, they had Desperado's, Snake Oil Sellers, Indians and Rattlesnakes to bite you as well, truly the wild west out there.......Life span was 30 or so years since the work and disease was tough on a MAN.........

:eek: Going to have a peak at your rolling Stock, Pencil42,,,,,I know I have several things, but not sure if downloaded the V&T you made........

You do nice work sir..........Love your story and the Pics to go long with it........:cool:

Curtis
The Old West 1880s is my favourite Trainz era. This has always looked to be a brilliant route.
Is there an intention to release a preliminary version of this route for TRS2019.

Regards

Ken

Back