Video driver question

Firefighterdan

343 NEVER FORGET
Hello, I was looking around my computer and see my video drivers are a little over a year old. I found the latest and greatest but am not sure if I am suppost to delete the old ones before I install the new ones? Any help on this would be great. Thanks;)

Hello, I was looking around my computer and see my video drivers are a little over a year old. I found the latest and greatest but am not sure if I am suppost to delete the old ones before I install the new ones? Any help on this would be great. Thanks;)

Hi

1. Check to see if the latest driver supports your Graphics Card first.

if it does then

2. Uninstall your Graphics Card driver
3. Reboot your PC
4. Disable you antivirus/spyware software
5. Install your new Graphics Card Drivers
6. Reboot your PC again
7. Enable your Antivirus/Spyware Software

hope this helps

Regards

Ahsan:)

Driver Cleaner Pro

Hi,

You should always uninstall the old drivers. Often the drivers can conflict and cause display problems within trainz. Sparkles and fuzzy lines are two that come to mind. If you really want to be sure then do a Google search for Driver Cleaner Pro and download it. It is free. After you uninstall the old drivers, run DCP and choose the type of driver you uninstalled. It finds any pieces missed and removes them. Then install the new drivers.

But all that being said, be aware that new drivers might not make a improvement to the performance of your card. In fact, you may lose performance so keep version number of the old drivers in case you want to go back.

William

Hello, I found this thread from last year as I installed TC3 last Friday and it was stated that my Video Drivers are 13 months old and recommended for update.
Now I purchased a new PC last December, an Acer Extensa, and my Video Driver is an ATI Radeon X1 250, but it is integrated into my motherboard apparently. How do I upgrade in this case please, can I download an update for the Video Driver or does the Motherboard integration create a problem please, does anyone know ???

Cheerz. ex-railwayman

Last edited:
Hello, I found this thread from last year as I installed TC3 last Friday and it was stated that my Video Drivers are 13 months old and recommended for update.
Now I purchased a new PC last December, an Acer Extensa, and my Video Driver is an ATI Radeon X1 250, but it is integrated into my motherboard apparently. How do I upgrade in this case please, can I download an update for the Video Driver or does the Motherboard integration create a problem please, does anyone know ???

Cheerz. ex-railwayman

It is exacly the same as updating the drivers for a card version. Just go to the manufacturer's website, find the chipset, download the newest drivers, and follow the steps above to install them.

Hello Captain, thanks for your help, but, I'm not very computer savvy and although I have downloaded the latest Video Drivers from the ATI website, I now need to achieve the following as per the posts below :-

1. Check to see if the latest driver supports your Graphics Card first.

HOW DO I DO THAT PLEASE ??

if it does then

2. Uninstall your Graphics Card driver

HOW DO I DO THAT AS WELL PLEASE ??

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Hi again, :wave:
1. There should be a list of supported chipsets on the page where you downloaded the driver from.

2. Follow these steps:
a. Log on as an Administrator (XP or Vista)
b. Go to start -> settings (in classic menu only) -> control panel.
c. Double-click on the add/remove programs icon
d. Scroll through the list until you find anything with ATI in the name. Remove them all.
e. To remove items, click on either the modify/remove button or the remove button (varies by software). Then follow the steps in the wizard.
f. If the wizard tells you to restart, tell it that you will manually restart later. Restart after all of the ATI items are uninstalled.
g. Your graphics card will continue to work after uninstalling drivers, so do not worry about how to see until the new drivers are installed.
h. Run driver cleaner pro, and restart the computer
i. Install the new drivers by double-clicking on the package you downloaded and follow the wizard's instructions.

Note:If you are told that an item cannot be removed until something else has been removed, then remove the item stated in the box first.

Back