Video card thoughts

If you want to run higher than 1280x1024 with the AA cranked it looks like you better get something better than a GTX 430.

I don’t know anybody who’s going to bottleneck a high end CPU with a weak video card either.

Last edited:
If you want to run higher than 1280x1024 with the AA cranked it looks like you better get something better than a GTX 430.

I don’t know anybody who’s going to bottleneck a high end CPU with a weak video card either.

DJT,
While I'm not thinking of getting a cpu like yours (£832 over here) I am thinking of getting a quad core 3ghz 12 mb cache, can you check how many cores are in use while your using trainz.
My E8500 is running 100% both cores according to the MSI dual core centre.

DJT,
While I'm not thinking of getting a cpu like yours (£832 over here) I am thinking of getting a quad core 3ghz 12 mb cache, can you check how many cores are in use while your using trainz.
My E8500 is running 100% both cores according to the MSI dual core centre.

The game engine that Trainz uses is not a “from the ground up” multi-core application and does not take full advantage of multi-core CPU’s.

With a game like Trainz it’s all about choosing the most efficient CPU architecture to get the best performance whether that CPU has four cores or six.

The best performance you’re going to get out of Trainz right now until LGA 2011 shows up is “Sandy Bridge” LGA 1155.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...el-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested

Plese allow me to correct a misunderstanding about wattage.
The power supply supplies power to the entire computer, not just the video card. Lets say your PC needs 150 watts for everything not including the card. If the card uses 100 watts, the card maker will reccomend a minimum of a supply capable of producing 300 watts so that there will be an extra 50 watts available for future add ons.

Back