Using JR cabs on JR locomotives doesn't want to work

PVP_playerPro

𝓣𝓻𝓪𝓲𝓷&#120
I would like to preempt this assistance/information request by saying: Yes, i know TRS2010 isn't actively supported anymore, i get it, but this really doesn't seem like an issue that will be solved by spending $40+ for a new game.

Now, i have acquired this good-looking ES44AC with NPK heritage paint...
c32b38ddfdba8b6cd08d37fc8dc2f923.jpg

However, the particular cab that comes with this unit (and all the rest of them alike), isn't what i'd call "visually pleasing". Seriously, this cab sucked eggs even back in TRS2006.
9e87e9cd346ba693a8006ce7bf9e3685.jpg

And there lies my problem, i can't replace it with JR cabs, because when i swap it out with -any- "GE WideCab Mechanism T(version)", i get...something a little bit broken..
18d44ff8f193b0f9956d53295c47ceb3.jpg

I'm expecting that this is the result of the cabs not being directly plug-n-play, like they require some more in-depth setup/configuration rather than swapping out KUID's in CCP and calling it a day.

Notes:

- I have tried three versions of "GE WideCab Mechanism T(version)" that will work in the base TRS2010 game without throwing errors. Those versions being t1, t2, and t3.
- The cabs don't seem to be broken just by themselves, because the t3 version, which comes with the CW44-9 Demo engine, works fine on that engine.
- The locomotives that i have tried this on (ATSF B40-8W's, All AMTRAK P-32's, all NS ES44AC Heritage Units) are not broken, because they all work fine prior to being rekerjiggered with the t1, t2 or t3 widecabs

This is because there's never been a dedicated cab for the ES44AC. If JR had made a cab intended for use on their GEVOs, it would be labeled as such and maybe even come with the units. The problem shown in the above picture is probably due to the cab not being made for this unit.

Ok, but what could break when using the cab for a different engine? CMP throws no errors, and the cabs aren't only broken when used on GEVO's. If these only work for some engines, it -really- should say that on the DL page. I don't know about you, but "Cab is only designed for JR locomotives only. We are not responsible if you use this cab outside of it's intended purpose." tells me that the cab should be able to at least -look- like it works when applied to other JR engines.

The replaced cab looks like that and doesn't throw any errors because it -is- working as intended. The engines with JR cabs use an interior that handles all the controls and gauges as well as a shell listed in the config which loads all the other meshwork such as the desk surfaces, cab walls, other non-functional cabin bits, etc.

:cool: I have this same disappointment using the t4 cab and mechanism on a NS ES44DC (or then AC if it will work). I used Content Creator Plus to select the cab shell and cab mechanism...the t4 cab is the correct control arrangement. Also be aware that only one screenshot is used to depict all the different cab arrangements!

Ok, but what could break when using the cab for a different engine? CMP throws no errors, and the cabs aren't only broken when used on GEVO's. If these only work for some engines, it -really- should say that on the DL page. I don't know about you, but "Cab is only designed for JR locomotives only. We are not responsible if you use this cab outside of it's intended purpose." tells me that the cab should be able to at least -look- like it works when applied to other JR engines.

I would agree the download page text is ambiguous and a bit redundant - I will have that taken care of asap, but the assets themselves do mention in their descriptions.

For example "GE wide cab for dash 9 locomotives. IFD display. THIS ASSET WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY WITHOUT THE DEPENDENT PAYWARE ASSETS FROM JOINTEDRAIL.COM AND IS NOT SUPPORTED AS SUCH"

Sound like shouting? well I guess it could be otherwise you get a bunch of people thinking there is this great freeware cab they can download and spam wherever and ask JR for help in doing so. Not that I'm saying this fits you, don't misunderstand. The descriptions also say what the cabs are intended for which should take away any notion that they work on other items. The actual interiors come with the payware items and there is no way to get another shell without getting the payware item as well.

Back