USA Pics (electric)

My route looks brilliant in those shots...excellent work Norm! I'm gonna have to have a go at finishing it off how I intended. What tripped me up was where the track was going at the station at the other end. I developed 'route-builders block', if you like! I also want to add some CNJ and Erie Lackawanna-esque branches. That shot of the GG1 against the sunset and the small town is beautiful- I spent ages researching what an American town should look like layout-wise as I have a tendency to just do them like British towns with bigger houses! I think I ended up basing it on the town in the original It movie of all things.

I'm glad you are pleased with my screenies Nathan, thanks so much for sharing your WIP routes. I'm glad that you are considering further work on them. It has been my experience that it is easy to see the flaws in your own work and dismiss all the good stuff. I made no changes in the routes for the screenies BTW.

:D

@normhart - Oh! Thought I'd read somewhere (IRM newsletter back when it was added to the museum?) that they set up the pantograph on the S-2 themselves since they have 600VDC overhead but no third rail. Must have been that they re-configured the pantograph system from 11000VAC on NYC/PC to 600VDC.

@normhart - Oh! Thought I'd read somewhere (IRM newsletter back when it was added to the museum?) that they set up the pantograph on the S-2 themselves since they have 600VDC overhead but no third rail. Must have been that they re-configured the pantograph system from 11000VAC on NYC/PC to 600VDC.

Well I spent a couple of hours trying to confirm that the pantograph was added prior to IRM without luck. The photos that I thought indicated that the loco came to IRM with the panto turned out to be IRM photos. Fortunately one end of Nathan's route has third rail (see last screenie above) so... :D

Transfer the paint job to a non pantograph GE S2 and she should be good to go. :hehe:

Edit:
GN Y-1 -- PRR FF2
NH EP5 -- PC E40
NH EF4 -- PC E33
:hehe:

Last edited:
The FF2 and EF4 are somewhere in my job jar (for other reasons), but the EP5 model is reasonably current... just needs to have a tank car of black paint thrown over it, and "mating worms" sticky-backs applied to the sides. Should be able to manage that (g).

BTW, I've seen a photo of an EF4/E33 with two Faively (single-arm) pantographs. Don't know if they were testing them for GE's E44 configuration, or to see if they'd work as replacements for legacy equipment. Also, I don't remember if they were orange or black at the time... E33s even wore CR blue, IIRC. Though not E40s, they wouldn't have looked good in it.

an E60 in its last days of service in the early 2000s pulling a keystone into philly
slenderman8888_20180131_0001.jpg

Well I spent a couple of hours trying to confirm that the pantograph was added prior to IRM without luck. The photos that I thought indicated that the loco came to IRM with the panto turned out to be IRM photos. Fortunately one end of Nathan's route has third rail (see last screenie above) so... :D

Transfer the paint job to a non pantograph GE S2 and she should be good to go. :hehe:

Edit:
GN Y-1 -- PRR FF2
NH EP5 -- PC E40
NH EF4 -- PC E33
:hehe:
The Large Pantograph on the Preserved Penn Central ex NYC S2 class Electric that is preserved at IRM is not prototypical to the engine when it was in regular service. It came off of a South Shore Line Car because The pantographs that are on the engine were too small to reach the overhead wires at IRM.

The Large Pantograph on the Preserved Penn Central ex NYC S2 class Electric that is preserved at IRM is not prototypical to the engine when it was in regular service. It came off of a South Shore Line Car because The pantographs that are on the engine were too small to reach the overhead wires at IRM.
Is it being restored to operating condition?

No not at this time, It was run once but it developed a problem (I will have to look that up again) but it needs a lot of work.

Last edited:
As nice as it would be to see an NYC S-Motor running again, there are too many issues that prevent this from becoming reality.

old meets new on the NEC in the early 2000s HHP-8 hauling an 8 car acela regional and going the other way an E60 with a shorter regional in phase III btw use postimg.org it works and i have used it for all my image hosting rather than the now broken hostthenpost
slenderman8888_20180203_0000.jpg

It is not my E60 it is a new one released by CEFX2014 on notch 8 reskinz you can download it from their site at notch8reskinz.weebly.com i modified mine though with a more fitting engine sound, trucks that can be found and more appropriate pantographs (it came with default acela pantographs)

The AEM-7 with the Faiveley DS11 pantographs ( I used the GPU pantograph from the TGV A ) and the X996

9ytPZsa.png

Electroliner on the El (repost)

With @normhart's permission, reposting a few notable (IMHO) screenshots that were lost with HostThenPost.

Electroliner-on-the-El-%28posted-with-normhart%27s-permission%29.jpg

(With sparks! :) )

GN Electrics (reposted)

With normhart's permission, reposting some of his GN screenshots lost with HostThenPost.
GN-Z-1-Electric-%28normhart%29.jpg

Z-1
GN-Y-1-Electric-%28normhart%29.jpg

Y-1
GN-W-1-Electric-%28normhart%29.jpg

W-1

Back