USA Exchange Program

Ronayne

Australian in Montana
Hello all,

I am planning on going to the USA for a year (in 2011) in the student exchange program. Is anyone able to suggest (a) town/s (of medium or large size), which has class 1 railroad tracks in it?

Thank You greatly,

~ Chris, :wave:

Hello all,

I am planning on going to the USA for a year (in 2011) in the student exchange program. Is anyone able to suggest (a) town/s (of medium or large size), which has class 1 railroad tracks in it?

Thank You greatly,

That's a million dollar question. Most medium/large sized city in the USA has some various form of trackage going through it. Many cities throughout the west coast has a web of tracks through out. Although, I would not chose what city you want to live in based off of the railroads in the area.. There is a lot of rail activity in Oakland/LA California, but I wouldn't go there unless I absolutely had to.

Hello all,

Thank You greatly,

Where exactly did you have in mind?

If you go to Chattanooga, you'll not only get NS and CSX, but also have us running mainline excursions over NS. Likely toward the end of your stay with the 4501, but 630 until then.

Illinois (IE: Chicago-St.Louis) paticulary springfield Illinois, has two major class 1 railroads through it. UP, and NS. There is also still the Illinois Eastern that goes through. Not to mention ALOT of stuff around the area.

Or, if you want something hotter, Ft.Worth or Dallas aint bad.:hehe: Tower 55 gets ALOT of traffic, and there are lots of other areas to railfan.

New Orleans, Louisiana has 4 major rail lines into the city, plus it is a major sea port. There is plenty of rail activity there.

Apogee10

Hello all,

Thank You greatly,

Philadelphia is a railroading mecca. You've got CSX, NS, D&H and Conrail Shared Assets handling most of the freight, plus the electrified Northeast Corridor and SEPTA systems.

New Orleans, Louisiana has 4 major rail lines into the city, plus it is a major sea port. There is plenty of rail activity there.

Apogee10

Ha i know, its so much:confused:

Plus there's a steam locomotive restored in my town :D

How would Omaha Nebraska be for an exchange student. :confused:
Roseville Ca will give you some traffic, theres a decent yard in stockton CA (rather slummish though), and there is a medium size yard in addition to a reasonable single track mainline here in Tracy Ca..... UP traffic with some light commuter moves everyday (ACE)... Sacramento Ca has a state funded museum as well as Up mainline that crosses over a swing bridge

cheers

Last edited:
Hi All: There is a Big yard(UP) in North Platte, Nebraska..Including two hump yards..Incedently Omaha, Nebraska has the UP headquarters..

Ha i know, its so much:confused:

Plus there's a steam locomotive restored in my town :D

Do you mean T&NO 745? Or is there another?

I want to see 745 run soooo badly. The closest I have where I am in Texas is either 786 in Austin being restored, or her worse shape sister 771 in Grapevine Texas. Sadly, thats the closest I will get to seeing a T&NO mike running anytime soon.:'(

Ok, enough rant. Do you know where you are going yet Ronayne? Not to be pushy or anything.

I also Live in Louisiana and All of what is said is right.

And I think he means T&NO 745.

I love that thing. I love the Stockly look to it.

And it was also built in Louisiana.

Last edited:
There's Fresno, California. It has BNSF and UP single-track mainlines (both of which are fairly busy for mostly single track), and both have decent sized yards in the city. Also, there's the Amtrak San Joaquin trains that go through on the BNSF tracks several times a day. The neighboring city of Clovis (they are both more/less one big city) has great schools and a fairly high quality of living. The weather goes from a sunny 100+ degrees in the summer to foggy & in the 50's during the winter. It's great for all-around weather (except for snow - you have to go to the nearby mountains for that). Can't go wrong with Fresno/Clovis.

Well guys, since he said he's going to Omaha, I doubt that any place else is helpfull at the moment = ) Chris, I do belive there is a fairly large Class 1 Railyard somewhere in Omaha. I remember a railfan friend of mine drove there, and various other places across the US. I'd ask when you get there, no hurt in that!

Have fun here Chris!

Take care,

Ryan:wave:

Back