Uphill, Both Ways, in the Snow, -or- Get off my Lawn!

Euphod

No Friend requests please
Excuse me while I hike my pant's waistband up under my armpits. There, that's better.

Now then, I notice a few posts on the forum having sport at the restored "station stops" timeline. We all know how useful it can be when trying to help a poster that manages to provide every bit of information about their computer, except what version of Trainz they are using. To make the job even more challenging they have decided to post their problem in the "General Trainz" forum, or "Community" or some such! It does help to have an idea of what versions of Trainz the member may be using.

Of course, here is where someone responds that they may have a registered version, but may not be using it, or perhaps the member lost the version of 2006, and is using 2010 instead, downloaded through a torrent site! How dare you jump to conclusions because the poster's timeline shows a certain version, YOU DON'T KNOW ME! TALK TO THE HAND!:eek:

Okay Sir.... put the mouse down, and back away from the keyboard...

Really guys and gals, this, like so many other things in life, is a "percentage play". It's a judgement call. Now forgive me if your Mommy and Daddy never taught you what a judgement call is, but that's not my problem. That's your problem. So the OP only shows a registered version of 2006 in his timeline and I try to offer advice based on that and he replies, "you idiot...I'm talking about 2010! I'm an expert on 2006! The only reason 2010 isn't registered is because right after I installed it "my dog ate my computer", (Translation: I ripped the Program from a cracked version on the Pirate Lagoon), "my little sister pushed the delete key", (Translation: I ripped the Program from a cracked version on the Pirate Lagoon), "my grandmother had a grabber and passed out on my keyboard", (Translation: my grandmother had a grabber and.... wait...what?)

Anyway, the station stops timelines are useful, especially when dealing with a suspected cracker (and I don't mean a person who worked a ranch at a young age and learned how to crack a whip). Why help someone who isn't contributing to the franchise? Maybe you're a young rebel, or maybe you've played too much Hacky Sack, or maybe you've sat in too many drum circles, but N3V pays money to host the DLS, and run the forum and develop the games and make DLC's and so on, and if I think you haven't payed your freight to ride the rails then I don't care what your back story is! Really, my name's not Larry and I sincerely doubt yours is Balki, and I've seen all the Andy Kaufman videos I care to. If you come from some part of the world that doesn't care about stealing, if you have learned how to fool yourself into thinking you are only sharing, that it's your right to just take whatever you want then good luck with that, but please consider that most people in this world know the difference between right and wrong. Get back to me with your question when you can show me you have payed for the right to ride the rails with me. I'm not Ernest Borgnine on "Emperor of The North", but I understand him! I don't endorse beating up hobos, but I understand it!

Lastly; why is it so wrong to be proud of the station stops you have earned? Is it the end all to end all? No, but there's no shame in displaying a long line of Trainz products in your station stops. No one would quit and walk away without them, but if you have been with the program long enough, and your station stops show that, why do you have to act as if its just a silly graphic? Be proud of your past, be proud of your time spent with Trainz! Who cares if it's a clever marketing ploy, MORE POWER TO THEM! N3V, you keep going okay? Sell billions of copies! Release a new version every 3 months for all I care! There's no shame in showing the world you've owned many versions of Trainz, in fact, you should be proud! Every sale, every version has injected capital into a franchise that is working towards releasing the very best Train Simulation the free world has ever seen!

You youngsters from Caspiar or where ever the heck you're from should be thanking us "old timers" who have actually paid the money to provide the capital to make the very version you just downloaded from some cracker torrent! Yet you laugh, and point, as if you are that much so superior to have figured out a way to game the system.

Without me, and the other "old timers" on the forums you would have just downloaded Trainz CE! You leeches may be stretched out in an empty gondola now, but the cinder dicks are always waiting at the next yard, and they don't fool around.

You're welcome, now...GET OFF MY LAWN!:eek:

Great post Ed. I couldn't agree more. I'm proud of my time with Trainz as all of us should be who have contributed to the success of Auran/N3V and this great simulation.

Mike

leeferr;bt156 said:
Great post Ed. I couldn't agree more. I'm proud of my time with Trainz as all of us should be who have contributed to the success of Auran/N3V and this great simulation.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that is the point! I swear if I went rail fanning with some of the members on the forum, I would be coming back, alone...:hehe:
Thanks for visiting "The Crotchety Kvetch", and thanks for the comment!

I bought TS2010 from EB games and Trainz 1.3 from a OP shop i had TC3 but i don't know where it is but i enjoy both versions.
I may not be an "Old Timer" but i think those who use torrent servers should a shamed of themselves:(

jaxonjared;bt159 said:
I bought TS2010 from EB games and Trainz 1.3 from a OP shop i had TC3 but i don't know where it is but i enjoy both versions.
I may not be an "Old Timer" but i think those who use torrent servers should a shamed of themselves:(

Hey, man, you bought both copies, and that's paying your way! I didn't buy every version directly from Auran either, but I did pay for them. I paid for a ticket, and it's been punched. Thanks for supporting N3V, and Auran, some day they will release the very finest virtual railroading program ever seen, unless the leeches suck up too much blood!

Thanks for the comment, and thanks for reading TDK!:)

Good post there Ed,

I also get very annoyed with users who get their version through 'other means' - you can probably guess what I mean there. The problem is rife in the Far East (Russia etc) at the moment - strangely enough, that's usually where the 'advertising' forum posters are from.

shaneturner12;bt161 said:
I also get very annoyed with users who get their version through 'other means' - you can probably guess what I mean there. The problem is rife in the Far East (Russia etc) at the moment - strangely enough, that's usually where the 'advertising' forum posters are from.

Thanks Shane, and thanks for commenting! I become annoyed when it's obvious a poster has no intention on registering a version, and clearly has no legal version to register. They think they're fooling everyone?
It's painful to see members such as yourself laboring to provide advice and answers to someone that's just jumped in a boxcar's open door and is along for the ride!

Well, Euphod, those posts were quite something, and well thought out and composed. For my part, I just love RRs, and the Espee especially, no particular axes to grind. As I said, this blog thing is completely new to me. I never expected the explosion of responses.:) But am glad to have read them. And thanks for your comments, each and all of you.

Bernie

Euphod;bt165 said:
Thanks Shane, and thanks for commenting! I become annoyed when it's obvious a poster has no intention on registering a version, and clearly has no legal version to register. They think they're fooling everyone?
It's painful to see members such as yourself laboring to provide advice and answers to someone that's just jumped in a boxcar's open door and is along for the ride!

These things happen. I try and assist as many users as I can, but I know I'm limited sometimes by the non-registration.

Hence why I've decided to make things easier for new users to register their serial number, by creating the following forum thread:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...s-How-to-register-your-serial-number-with-N3V

Shane

An interesting blog - I haven't noticed many "non real" (my preferred term) posters but after about 18 months on the forums I know who the smart guys are.:D And, I also know why some of the smart guys don't post or respond to questions any more. I learned that the hard way.

All my versions are very real although only two remain installed. The rest are in the cupboard with lots or other other original CDs/DVDs (I finally threw out floppy versions of software!). One of these days I'm going back and finally finishing Zork (the original).

But, despite my longish experience with Trainz I'm no expert. I learn something new most every day.

My experience with Trainz has been patchy due to the amount of time this program needs to make it worthwhile. What I like about it is that there are many ways that you can "use" Trainz either as a simple player, route builder or serious content maker. There are still several avenues of interest I have yet to explore.

My personal view is that N3V don't charge enough for this software. I get way more enjoyment out of it than the miserly few dollars I paid and, I bought the anniversary edition with the cute biscuit tin black box.

pcas1986;bt185 said:
But, despite my longish experience with Trainz I'm no expert. I learn something new most every day.

Thanks Paul. I'm no smart guy either, and I make alot of mistakes, even when trying to help someone else. Trainz is BIG, too big, in my opinion to know everything about it. Added to that, you also need to be fairly learned in PC's, and now MACs, and I Pads, and Android phones as well! It can be overwhelming, and I've screwed up a few times.

I take comfort from the fact that even "bumping" a thread with bad information helps the OP, when everyone else rushes in to tell me what an idiot I am, and THIS is how it's done! That's okay, half or more of advice I give is what I've read others post anyway!

Thanks for the comment!

Euphod;bt190 said:
...That's okay, half or more of advice I give is what I've read others post anyway! ...!

Well, that's learning in my book and how teachers work. :D

Often I've given some advice and then along comes someone who has given better advice. So I'm left wondering if I should have waited.

The problem for us folk "downunder" is that we can ask for advice and not get a response until the next day. By then I've usually worked it out myself.

Well this dialogue is all very well, but where is my 2010 "station stop"? Honestly, I did buy it ............ but it never did appear (although it did work). Maybe its "lack of appearance" was a psychic response to my disappointment with it??? More importantly however, I have been contemplating the payware vs freeware debates and thought that I might start charging for my routes. Let me see, Gwladys Ddu took around 250hrs x $8.00/hr (below minimum wage!) = $2,000.00. Rivendell, based on the same formula will cost $2800.00 and Leeds to Sheffield will cost a little over $4000.00 ('cos I have to split it with Harry Spurr)! So here is my dilemma, do I put my routes into the Payware category and not sell any? Do I give them away and have a thousand or more trainzers gaining pleasure from them? Actually, between you and I, all my routes are created solely for my pleasure (nostalgia) so uploading them to DLS is merely a gesture of sharing......... and I was brought up to share (I was a good kid!). Anyway, don't tell anybody that. Consider it our secret.:wave:

I like it. It is clear, concise and straight to the heart of some of the lazy posts in here. Here's the way I feel about cracked versions. We should be allowed to do our own "cracking." By cracking the business end of a Louisville slugger upside the heads of some of these stinkers.

Even though I only have TS12, I proudly show it as my badge of honor.

Back