My advice

RidderDansk

Stay young and healthy for as long as you possibly can. No one seems to understand the loss of visual acuity and how white screens play havoc with aging eyes.

Life is beautiful. Life is precious. Life is a gift.

Ignorance is not.

All the troubles in Trainz are nothing compared to the real problems that attend age. I will never understand this passion for realism in games. If you want realism, get off your ass and go outside where life is happening and enjoy what gifts and blessings there are in the real world while you can. Because once you lose the ability to do things for yourself, you will wish you would have spent more time outdoors in Nature.

Save the games for when you can't live your life.

I agree on the white screens. The liabilities of age are potentially numerous. I try for reasonable reality (subjective). I feel I can easily get that with Trainz but, without extremes. As an example I use older versions of grass to avoid the PBR plague. I simply accept that, as opposed to chasing down black streaks. Unless I "dismount" my train and walk through a neighborhood I never regret not having the lumpy PBR grass. FFR09 grass is fine with me. The schedule for a morning passenger run up the coast of Maine is more interesting.

Last edited:
I agree on the white screens. The liabilities of age are potentially numerous. I try for reasonable reality (subjective). I feel I can easily get that with Trainz but, without extremes. As an example I use older versions of grass to avoid the PBR plague. I simply accept that, as opposed to chasing down black streaks. Unless I "dismount" my train and walk through a neighborhood I never regret not having the lumpy PBR grass. FFR09 grass is fine with me. The schedule for a morning passenger run up the coast of Maine is more interesting.

I have never been to Maine, but I have seen many beautiful photos of and read many travelogues about Maine to know how exceptional a place Maine is.

I also have eye problems. Killing the eyes is only the PC monitor's fault. All this is done to surprise young and healthy eyes.
You can reduce the brightness of the monitor backlight. I've changed a lot of monitors and now I've been using the Dell P2422H for more than 10 years.
This is a professional series monitor: Dell P Series - Monitors: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/computer-monitors/ar/8605/dell-p-series?appliedRefinements=40643
I spend about 15 hours a day at this monitor and have not changed anything in the settings since the purchase.
And there is no fatigue or other eye problems. This is a modern version of the monitor as I have: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-24-monitor-p2425h/apd/210-bmff/monitors-monitor-accessories
And if you have problems with your eyesight, do not buy monitors from the Gaming series, ultra sharp, etc.

EDIT: I have Dell P2414H, not Dell P2422H.

Last edited:
I also have eye problems. Killing the eyes is only the PC monitor's fault. All this is done to surprise young and healthy eyes.
You can reduce the brightness of the monitor backlight. I've changed a lot of monitors and now I've been using the Dell P2422H for more than 10 years.
This is a professional series monitor: Dell P Series - Monitors: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/computer-monitors/ar/8605/dell-p-series?appliedRefinements=40643
I spend about 15 hours a day at this monitor and have not changed anything in the settings since the purchase.
And there is no fatigue or other eye problems. This is a modern version of the monitor as I have: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-24-monitor-p2425h/apd/210-bmff/monitors-monitor-accessories
And if you have problems with your eyesight, do not buy monitors from the Gaming series, ultra sharp, etc.
Thank you for your reply, and for the links to the Dell monitor.

I have set my monitor and Windows settings to Dark Mode, but the remaining issues I have with what is being displayed are legacy apps (i.e. Content Manager) that have yet to utilize system settings (which isn't that difficult). N3V seems intent to emulate the real-world in virtual gaming, while ignoring the obvious. Go figure. But as I stated previously, all computer-related issues are extremely small compared to what I am experiencing in life. It's miniscule frustrations that can be avoided by simple coding that escapes inexperienced coders that have yet to experience anything empirical in the real world. All theory and little experience becomes glaringly obvious with age.

Back