upgrade question

dak4482

Hi all.

Have upgraded from TRS22 standard to Trains Plus. Where can I find documentation on how to install?. Do I install over the top of my trs 22 or separately? How to transfer my routes to trains plus. Any help appreciated. Kind of new to trainz after a LOOONG absence.

Dan

Any (and all) new Trainz installations will install themselves in their own folders separate from any other existing installs. So you could, for example, have Trainz (original version), T:ANE, TRS19PE, TRS22 and Trainz Plus (from your timeline) all installed and all running independently of each other - although why you would is a different question.

The Trainz core directories (i.e. the software) will be installed in one location. In my case:-

C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 (this is my Trainz Plus install as I originally upgraded to Trainz Plus from TRS19PE)
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022 (this is my Trainz Plus beta version install which I have used for past Trainz+ beta version testing and will use again when the next beta is released)

I only have Trainz Plus installed - all earlier versions have been binned.

Currently the two installs are identical with the same build numbers (119450) but the second is set to the beta stream.

The Trainz user directories (where all your downloaded and installed assets are kept) are also installed in different locations. In my case:-

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs22\build sd6ccvr61
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs22\build i0ok12iy1

... which can be confusing. The "build ......" is a randomly generated sequence of text characters. This is where your routes will be stored.

If you are not sure which one is which then check using the instructions below for finding the current user data folder location for each of your installed versions. Note the build folder name in each case.

First Step - if you have not already done so, then

On the Trainz Plus Trainz Launcher screen click the button Trainz Settings and then the MyTrainz tab. Enter your username and password (both are the same you use for this forum) and when you get the accepted notice, exit Trainz back to the desktop (close the Launcher).

Second Step - locate the user data folder(s)

Then start the Trainz Plus Trainz Launcher again and select Trainz Settings again. This time click the Install tab. You will be shown the user data folder location for your Trainz Plus install. There is also a link to a web page that gives instructions for moving your user data folder to a different location, such as on a different drive.

You can select a different folder, such as your current Trainz user data folder, by clicking on the three dots next the the current folder name and then navigating to the folder address (the folder named build .........) you want to use.

In either case you will need to exit back to the desktop before starting Trainz again. The change will trigger a database rebuild.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thx so much for your help. One last question. How to I access my old route? Do I just point to the old one from content manager or do I have to do some transferring to the new content directory? Thx in advance.

So I point to the old content folder to have it access my old route and then change to the new directory to save the old route to the new content location?

Dan

Any (and all) new Trainz installations will install themselves in their own folders separate from any other existing installs. So you could, for example, have Trainz (original version), T:ANE, TRS19PE, TRS22 and Trainz Plus (from your timeline) all installed and all running independently of each other - although why you would is a different question.

The Trainz core directories (i.e. the software) will be installed in one location. In my case:-

C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 (this is my Trainz Plus install as I originally upgraded to Trainz Plus from TRS19PE)
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022 (this is my Trainz Plus beta version install which I have used for past Trainz+ beta version testing and will use again when the next beta is released)

I only have Trainz Plus installed - all earlier versions have been binned.

Currently the two installs are identical with the same build numbers (119450) but the second is set to the beta stream.

The Trainz user directories (where all your downloaded and installed assets are kept) are also installed in different locations. In my case:-

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs22\build sd6ccvr61
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs22\build i0ok12iy1

... which can be confusing. The "build ......" is a randomly generated sequence of text characters. This is where your routes will be stored.

If you are not sure which one is which then check using the instructions below for finding the current user data folder location for each of your installed versions. Note the build folder name in each case.

First Step - if you have not already done so, then

On the Trainz Plus Trainz Launcher screen click the button Trainz Settings and then the MyTrainz tab. Enter your username and password (both are the same you use for this forum) and when you get the accepted notice, exit Trainz back to the desktop (close the Launcher).

Second Step - locate the user data folder(s)

Then start the Trainz Plus Trainz Launcher again and select Trainz Settings again. This time click the Install tab. You will be shown the user data folder location for your Trainz Plus install. There is also a link to a web page that gives instructions for moving your user data folder to a different location, such as on a different drive.

You can select a different folder, such as your current TRS19PE user data folder, by clicking on the three dots next the the current folder name and then navigating to the folder address (the folder named build .........) you want to use.

In either case you will need to exit back to the desktop before starting Trainz again. The change will trigger a database rebuild.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My upgrade to Trainz Plus was from TRS19 and I understand (from posts in these forums) that since then the upgrade process has changed. I am uncertain how the upgrade from TRS22 would affect the folder structure since one of my Trainz Plus installs is listed under TRS22.

My first step would be to look at your installation folder (C:\Program Files\N3V Games\) to see what versions are installed.

One thing to try first is to start Trainz Plus - it will have the Trainz+ logo on the Launcher Screen then select Manage Content. This will launch Content Manager. Use either the Routes and Sessions filter or the My Content filter to search for your route(s). If they are present then Trainz Plus has installed itself over your original TRS22 - which is what I recall happened when I upgraded from TRS19PE to Trainz Plus, but I am not sure with the upgrade from TRS22. If your routes appear then your problems have been solved.

If not then you will need to take additional steps.

If all you want to do is to use your old TRS22 content in the new Trainz Plus then simply set the Trainz Plus user data folder to the old TRS22 user data folder.

1. Identify the names of the two user data folders (the "build ......" in TRS22 and Trainz Plus)
2. Start the Trainz Plus Launcher (it will have a "Trainz+" logo on the launcher screen)
3. Select Trainz Settings
4. Select the Install Tab
5. Change the User Directory to the same directory as your original TRS22 install.
6. Exit the Trainz Launcher
7. Start the Launcher again (there will be a Database rebuild)

Trainz Plus will now have access to your original TRS22 user data folder and all its contents

If you want to use the new Trainz Plus user data folder but transfer your TRS22 stuff to the Trainz Plus user data folder, then try the following.

1. to 7. as listed above
8. Select Manage Content to open Content Manager and locate your TRS22 routes that you want to transfer to Trainz Plus
9. Right Mouse Click on one of them and select Export to CDP - select a destination location (drive, folder) and give it a filename (or use the default filename created from the route name)
10. Click Save
11. Repeat 9 and 10 for all the routes (and other stuff you have created) that you want to transfer
12. Exit Content Manager
13. In the Trainz Launcher, select Trainz Settings
14. Select the Install Tab
15. Change the User Directory back to the one you have identified for Trainz Plus
17. Exit the Trainz Launcher
18. Start the Trainz Launcher again (there will be a Database rebuild)
19. Open Content Manager
20. From the File menu select Import Content Files and navigate to the same destination location where you saved the CDP files in Step 9 above
21. Select each file (individually or as a group) and click Open

Last edited:
Back