UK narrow boats or barges what do we have?

The blue track displays okay for me in Surveyor and is correctly invisible within Driver.

Guessed it would be trial and error with the lock operation, when it does trigger the animation is quite impressive!

Hi John
Just downloaded your narrow boats and spotted two possible errors. 1, the series 3 70 sit fine on the water but the series 70 seem to be much lower. 2, the cab view seems to be a bit high. when you go under a bridge the boat is clear but in cab you go through the top of the bridge. Just put together a small canal using most of the locks, wheel and tunnels all working under AI.

Hi John
Just downloaded your narrow boats and spotted two possible errors. 1, the series 3 70 sit fine on the water but the series 70 seem to be much lower. 2, the cab view seems to be a bit high. when you go under a bridge the boat is clear but in cab you go through the top of the bridge. Just put together a small canal using most of the locks, wheel and tunnels all working under AI.

I uploaded some 24 updates to the cab view yesterday they should be available within 15 hours. Let me know if there is still a problem.

I think the 3 70s are the ones to use or possibly the 4 70 they've based on Vulcan's hull. The 4 70 has a longer cabin so needs different cabin textures. The simpler 70 series sit lower but I don't think they are impossibly low. I probably should animate them so they sit lower when loaded.

Cheerio John

Thanks John
Look forward to them. The image shows the 3 70 with a 70 next to it. The next 70 on the outside is on track 0.5m above the other two.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Last edited:
I think that KotangaGirl's textures do look very good on the cabins.

There are two basic hull's you should be looking /using. The n3 / n4 hulls are Vulcan's and he is much better at the higher detailed bits and his textures are very good. The other one is the low poly int hull but only if you're running a lower end machine. Actually looking through it would appear that although there are four scenery variations of the low poly with the cabin in the hull mesh there isn't one that is drivable. There will be one shortly.

So currently I'd just use the n3 and n4 variants and ignore the other ones which came before the n3 and n4 hull.

Sometime they could do with better cabins but at least we have something to work with.

Cheerio John

WOW!

This is amazing! I too have been enjoying the Android Canal Boat and sim and was wondering why no one has created a Trainz canal sim. After all, Murchison 2 offered several ships/boats to operate around the waterways and bays.. So I hope that someone does indeed complete a functioning canal route.

I've believed for years that a true Canal Boat sim would be a viable PC game. There are numerous countries and locations in which to create routes...what fun. I live just a short drive from two historical canals here in Ohio (USA).

here's hoping.

KevinB
Ohio, USA

WOW!

This is amazing! I too have been enjoying the Android Canal Boat and sim and was wondering why no one has created a Trainz canal sim. After all, Murchison 2 offered several ships/boats to operate around the waterways and bays.. So I hope that someone does indeed complete a functioning canal route.

I've believed for years that a true Canal Boat sim would be a viable PC game. There are numerous countries and locations in which to create routes...what fun. I live just a short drive from two historical canals here in Ohio (USA).

here's hoping.

KevinB
Ohio, USA

Narrow boats and canals have been around for some time in Trainz since 2002 in fact. LaTrainzen france released a working payware lock using a certain type of turntable (transfer?) many years ago Barry was an early creator who was interested in boats and barges.

What has happened more recently is Vulcan has set a new standard track height of 3 meters above the ground and created a 7 foot wide lock. This was lengthened at the request of JC Parry to allow 70 foot barges to pass through and its that lock that has made a narrow boat canal practical. The track 3 meters in the air makes laying track simpler and there were different standards for track height.

I've been interested in them for some time and after working with Barry I created a new barge. Since I've done a fair number of wagons bulk load and tarps were easy to add. Getting the hull right was a problem. JC asked Vulcan nicely to send me his Blender source for his narrow boat and the narrow boats with 3 70 in the name are based on Vulcan's hull.

One of the nice things about barges are the painted cabins. KotangaGirl had done some very nice artwork on one of the coaches so I asked her nicely if she could do a narrow boat cabin. She came up with about five reskins and I used them on two basic barges and later on the scenery versions.

JC had requested a gas boat but I was unsure what it was but came across a youtube video of a tanker which I hadn't seen before. Fortunately Chris Nawlins has an engineering background so was able to give me approximate sizes for the hatches.

These barges are modular in many ways, so the easiest way to make the tanker was to make the deck a product same as the tarp.

Layoutwise we have products and all the other bits you need to transfer cargo so hopefully we should see some demo layouts shortly and more lengthy ones in time.

What we have at the moment needs refining. I suspect the engine sounds are wrong for a start, but it is a start.

The barges are fairly low impact, the invisible track is also low impact so it should be possible to create something like Middleton for laptops that will run on a low end machine.

Cheerio John

Layoutwise we have products and all the other bits you need to transfer cargo so hopefully we should see some demo layouts shortly and more lengthy ones in time.

Started up a couple of projects but not entirely satisfied with the results. The main issue is the upper exit from locks as at anything other than 0, 90, 180 etc degrees you can't match the water plane using terrain based water. If you try and patch the gap with a spline then the gap looks odd. The alternative is using a spline section for the main canal pounds but this loses some of the graphical impact, then you have the opposite problems at marinas and winding holes, unless using one of the wider spine sections.

I've not given up but the process is actually quite challenging, more than I thought it would be. Some licence in positioning the locks could be the answer as in any event due to inaccuracy of DEM data these are not always needed in the real world location on the map. I may take a look at the Caldon or possibly Bridgewater as these are relatively lock free.

Hi Vern
I use Water-small river To cover the odd angle and extend the walls at the top to the water plane. The Water-small river spline matches the water in the lock very well so wont look out of place.

Hi Vern
I use Water-small river To cover the odd angle and extend the walls at the top to the water plane. The Water-small river spline matches the water in the lock very well so wont look out of place.

I shall give that a try. Out of interest, where is the route shown in your screenshots located? I'm guessing possibly around Birmingham or West Midlands perhaps?

Edit: If I could indulge another question, what spline are asset are you using for the canal side quay/wharf?

Last edited:
Hi Vern
I use a combination of assets which gives the impression of parts built at different periods of time or new sections for repair work. The route is fictional and was started some time ago to test out the assets. The whole route works under AI including the locks with the help of using ATLS in a backwards set up (the triggers are after the tram stoppers instead of ahead of them). If you wish to PM me an email address I could send you the route as is, might give you some ideas.

<kuid2:36638:38001:1> canalbank2
<kuid2:60238:38217:2> Dockwall Timber
<kuid:425700:102217> CL Stream 01b 1 bank
<kuid2:60238:38230:2> Canal Wall 1
<kuid:425700:100078> CL Stream 01g - 1 bank
<kuid2:82412:700827:2> River-30mx30m-103
<kuid2:60238:38231:1> Canal Wall 2
<kuid2:124017:20124:1> Dock Wall 01
<kuid2:36638:38000:1> canalbank1
<kuid2:36638:38002:1> canalside1
<kuid2:36638:38003:1> canalside2
<kuid2:36638:38004:1> canalside3
<kuid2:60238:38158:1> Dockwall Rock
<kuid2:60238:38157:2> Dockwall Sheet Pile

I've just completed Middleton with Canal which uses the 3 board Middleton for Laptops route with a canal added. There's a Wharf complex and a lock setup. It's all AI.

If the DLS comes back to life soon Middleton with Canal should be available for download shortly thereafter. The route is for TANE SP3

The canal features John Whelan's narrow boats and the railway uses his steam trams.

If you don't want to wait you can download the route and session here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vzgsjdzh09ttxu/Middleton with canal Route and Session.cdp?dl=0

Last edited:
I've just completed Middleton with Canal which uses the 3 board Middleton for Laptops route with a canal added. There's a Wharf complex and a lock setup. It's all AI.

If the DLS comes back to life soon Middleton with Canal should be available for download shortly thereafter. The route is for TANE SP3

The canal features John Whelan's narrow boats and the railway uses his steam trams.

If you don't want to wait you can download the route and session here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vzgsjdzh09ttxu/Middleton with canal Route and Session.cdp?dl=0

Highly recommended, I like the transfer from train to barge. Dangavel's sacks have been resized and make quite a reasonable barge load and Anne's cabin reskins add variety. It does however use speedtrees so it needs a bit more muscle than Intel integrated graphics 4000.

Cheerio John

:wave: i downloaded the Single Tile examples and several other Misc items, this a very cool Thread with lots of good info, on something I knew little about, now some of my Rivers will have some Canal Boats in them for more interest, once I learn how to make decent Canals.......:cool:

On its way to the DLS is a canal route. it was put together over the last few weeks to show some of what can be done. It runs through old quarries and rises to an old dock area where several loading sections are available. I have used all of Vulcans smaller locks and his Falkirk Wheel. There is a 6 lock rise which is fully automatic in its operation. For tight areas I have used turntables and ATLS is used in a backward way to control boats through the locks (triggers after the lights, not before).

Back