Two Upcoming South Florida Routes

You need to give fellow FEC-fans a taste of your layout and I reason to drool at the upcoming FECRS convention.

It's in Miami near you. We are going to have a Trainz clinic there. This is some really great stuff.

I'll have the computer, flat panel, and projector so you can show off the highlights.

Richard

Thanks for the compliments!

About the convention, I heard all about it. The hotel will be by the airport, a good 3 miles from FEC tracks and a good 6 miles from my house. I also heard about touring Medley Lead and Hialeah Yard.

Believe it or not, I'm still in school. You can say I am on the verge of high school. I grew up with the FEC, going to one preschool right next to the yard (you can see the noise wall from the preschool ) about 10-11 years ago. Ah, all the memories. A GP9 switching the yard. Since the convention partially falls on a Friday, I'm not sure I can attend. But all of it sounds great. I did not sign up for the society yet :( By then I might even offer beta testing of the route and even run a train with 2 SD70M-2s from Hialeah to Fort Pierce...

But, this route is designed for lower poly. That could mean that this route's Miami-Ft Pierce is equal in real life to Miami - Pompano, etc. I will gladly merge with your second segment and Nikos1's extension.

Last edited:
...much obliged...

Great work BrickBuilder711!

Definitely a fast running route, in the Deep South!

I'm excited about this(but we had a FEC route, that blew me away...it's a Bikini State Thing)!

Run the wheel slam off the FEC power, 'cause they would step in and so take over the train!

My pet, was the Pineda Turn, Miami to Pineda, and return, one loco...several hoppers out of Hialeah, with 3/8 down, #69 gravel, turned my truck route, back to Quikrete Plant, so I could take on Home Depot, the rest of the day.

There are a lot of FECRS members from the south end. They love seeing Nikos1's Key West Extension, and I am already hearing inquiries about your screen shots.

I had the privilege to work behind that concrete noise wall. I was once part of a train crew working the Medley Lead.

It's good to know where you are in life and how you became interested in the FEC. But there is something that I want you to keep in mind.

Whether you are 10 or 110 years old (most) people will judge you on your knowledge, talents, drive, and the way that you treat other people.

You have already proven yourself a valuable part of this Trainz community, and would certainly be a welcomed member of the FECRS.

Unfortunately, being young and being old often have similar drawbacks: Transportation and/or money.

Since you are not an FECRS member, I have a convention guest pass so you can meet fellow FEC fans and see our convention exhibits, like the huge FEC N scale layout.

If you are able to get that Friday off, let me know in advance, and I'll get you in to tour Hialeah.

One of my primary missions for starting the FECRS was to enable FEC fans to see, smell, and touch railroad equipment in operation. For her 14th birthday, my daughter was taught to start a locomotive from cold, and how to operate it by the FEC Supervisor of Locomotives in Bowden yard.

We have been fortunate to have leadership at the railroad willing to open doors for us.

If you able to attend, I will make it possible.

Richard

Thanks for the compliments!

About the convention, I heard all about it. The hotel will be by the airport, a good 3 miles from FEC tracks and a good 6 miles from my house. I also heard about touring Medley Lead and Hialeah Yard.

Believe it or not, I'm still in school. You can say I am on the verge of high school. I grew up with the FEC, going to one preschool right next to the yard (you can see the noise wall from the preschool ) about 10-11 years ago. Ah, all the memories. A GP9 switching the yard. Since the convention partially falls on a Friday, I'm not sure I can attend. But all of it sounds great. I did not sign up for the society yet :( By then I might even offer beta testing of the route and even run a train with 2 SD70M-2s from Hialeah to Fort Pierce...

But, this route is designed for lower poly. That could mean that this route's Miami-Ft Pierce is equal in real life to Miami - Pompano, etc. I will gladly merge with your second segment and Nikos1's extension.

I'm guessing by the great representation of the area, that we are looking south, and are one or two blocks south of SW 17th Street.

Nice job!

Anyway, the following shot is the Trainz equivalent to the one on the FECRS homepage.

fecrs_showdown.jpg

My turnout abbreviations kick in as we are at North End Fort Lauderdale Yard :D

I'm guessing by the great representation of the area, that we are looking south, and are one or two blocks south of SW 17th Street.

Nice job!

Thanks! I was quite clueless about the exact location of the page until I got to do the route and noticed 3 industrial tracks to the left. The double searchlight signals, flatcar, and surroundings seemed to match.

Last edited:
Great work BrickBuilder711!

Definitely a fast running route, in the Deep South!

I'm excited about this(but we had a FEC route, that blew me away...it's a Bikini State Thing)!

Run the wheel slam off the FEC power, 'cause they would step in and so take over the train!

My pet, was the Pineda Turn, Miami to Pineda, and return, one loco...several hoppers out of Hialeah, with 3/8 down, #69 gravel, turned my truck route, back to Quikrete Plant, so I could take on Home Depot, the rest of the day.

Thanks!

Though this route is not TransDem Mapped, one would expect a lot from this route. Personally I think that there may be quite a few missing assets at first glance from the DLS. Few non-DLS assets, like the modern signals, have been put in. This route will have a lot of dependencies, from most industrial buildings, to a number of bendorsey's bridges and most of BNSF50's crossings. I notice how this route goes out of the ordinary. I have not seen a route, probably other than Yard Street, using these signals; the point motors and switchstands are not built in; frogs align the route's nearly thousands of switches; 30' truss arms align Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Jupiter, Ft. Pierce, and everything in between in terms of their streets; and finally, noted railfans or railfans taking video at x crossing will be input to this route with a car and a person...

Behind the Scenes

This set of pictures is based on more WIP areas of CSX and FEC. I welcome constructive criticism to the fullest.

Looking west at Fort Lauderdale: As I add bushes, we see warehouses and a plane taking off.

screen_027.jpg

222 leaving Aventura. I do not think this is complete, but I need tips on finding buildings to add to this area.

screen_069.jpg

Finally, 208 passing through Aventura. The trees and buildings look nice. Oops! This was before I changed lighting to 30' truss arms. I may post an up to date screenshot.

screen_121.jpg

brickbuilder711 its good to see you modeling parts of Florida. I live in Miami and can recognize most of the locations on your layout, great work! I have a section of the CSX homestead sub in the works too, its high poly and i've been steadily re-doing it as my skills in the game have increased. I also have a Florida based fictional route in the works. your route looks great from the start i cant wait to download it. May i ask whats the name of the traffic lights in your screen shots? ive been looking for them for quite some time, thanks.

@ FECrailway_Richard I would like to know more about the up coming events for the FECRS im thinking for getting a member ship if you could PM me that would be great thanks!

brickbuilder711 its good to see you modeling parts of Florida. I live in Miami and can recognize most of the locations on your layout, great work! I have a section of the CSX homestead sub in the works too, its high poly and i've been steadily re-doing it as my skills in the game have increased. I also have a Florida based fictional route in the works. your route looks great from the start i cant wait to download it. May i ask whats the name of the traffic lights in your screen shots? ive been looking for them for quite some time, thanks.

@ FECrailway_Richard I would like to know more about the up coming events for the FECRS im thinking for getting a member ship if you could PM me that would be great thanks!

BrainTrainz,

Thanks a lot! So, you are modeling a high poly CSX Homestead sub? Will you be doing the Lehigh Spur to Florida Rock? Thus, I may actually be able to merge with your route! Though my route contains the Homestead Sub, I can relocate the subdivision and keep my focus on the South Florida Rail Corridor.

The Traffic Lights are named 'Traf Light' and on CMP you should see Traf Light 01, 20, and 22. 01 is the closest to Miami, 20 and 22 are generally what you see.

I have also redone my CSX route in spite of increasing Trainz skill. The first one does not even come close to this! :) ;)

Soon I may join FECRS.

Back