Tweaking trainz 2009 graphics&performance

renthewog

Hey guys, new here to the trainz community..just picked up Trainz WBE 2009 yesterday and so far its great!

I have a pretty high-end computer, and running the game on full graphics and using Open GL (not direct X) and graphics are as good as i can squeeze out of them, just want to know if there is a tutorial or document somewhere explaining how to setup your graphics card to get the best graphics and performance out of trainz '09.

My computer specs are as below:

Windows Vista x64 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.7GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
NviDia GeForce 9600GT
Direct X 10

Is this setup good? or do u think i am already getting the best out of it as it is?

Trainz runs good at high graphics settings, just lags a fair bit around alot of scenery etc..

Cheers, Ren

Your setup should run Trainz fine, I have found Trainz to put pressure on CPU than GFX card myself on all the tests I have run. but you can play around in the NVidia setup and force AA etc if you prefer. I prefer to adjust alot of game setting via Nvidia panel than ingame. But thats me, and some other people find it worse off, its trial and error on that I suppose.

Cheers

Trent

Your setup should run Trainz fine, I have found Trainz to put pressure on CPU than GFX card myself on all the tests I have run. but you can play around in the NVidia setup and force AA etc if you prefer. I prefer to adjust alot of game setting via Nvidia panel than ingame. But thats me, and some other people find it worse off, its trial and error on that I suppose.

Cheers

Trent

Thanks for the help trent, well so far i have got the game running okay, i trialed every different settings (in-game/and nvidia graphics card)

High resolution and graphics are coming up great! just a big framerate issue going on that i want to solve..

So far i have found that TS2009 runs better on OpenGL then (direct x) am running highest resolution of 1440x900, bit depth - 32, resource cache size - 2048, Vsync & frequency - Auto, shadows - enabled, vertex offset - off.

And all the in-game options from the main menu options (all the sliders) are set to highest. Compatibilty mode, when turned on is killing the fram rates..but once off, frame rates increase, but trees look horrid! they are not transparent..so i have to leave compat mode on, what tweaking can i do to the nvidia 3d settings to improve frame rates? or any other settings u can suggest would be very helpful!

Cheers,
Ren

As Superfudd mentioned turning off shadows usually give you a decent frame rate hit returned. I always find shadows to be a frame rate killer.

Adjust sliders to get a good balance, I find Trainz seems to be more of a CPU hog than GFX card (On my machine anyways). But I have most sliders to max, running compat mode as I use alot of older content from DLS. And my frames sit around 40+ on most route but some extremely content packed ones. (You know who you are out there in Trainz world - 5,000,000,000 trees to make a forest :p )

Make sure you are running your resolution at the monitors native resolution as well. Some systems prefer that and can give a performance hit on certain programs.

System :

Core 2 Duo 2.8
4 gig DDR 2
9800 GT

Are the core components.

My Trainz Ts09WBE running at 1680 x 1050 which is my native, if I change it I take a small performance hit on most games.

Another thing to try would be turn off any background programs you dont need running. My background programs is always barebones, I can not stand little niggling programs running for no reason. ( Thats a professional querk I have being in the IT Technical industry)

I hope you do get a good balance sorted mate. And start enjoying Ts09WBE.

Cheers

Trent

Last edited:
Quote...".Another thing to try would be turn off any background programs you dont need running. My background programs is always barebones, I can not stand little niggling programs running for no reason. ( Thats a professional querk I have being in the IT Technical industry)"

I have just tried Gamebooster (Free) which is very easy to use and does exactly the above. On my PC it only gained 2 or 3 fps on the two routes I have tried it on so far. Has anyone else tried this software? John.

Last edited:
Hey guys, new here to the trainz community..just picked up Trainz WBE 2009 yesterday and so far its great!

I have a pretty high-end computer, and running the game on full graphics and using Open GL (not direct X) and graphics are as good as i can squeeze out of them, just want to know if there is a tutorial or document somewhere explaining how to setup your graphics card to get the best graphics and performance out of trainz '09.

My computer specs are as below:

Windows Vista x64 Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.7GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
NviDia GeForce 9600GT
Direct X 10

Is this setup good? or do u think i am already getting the best out of it as it is?

Trainz runs good at high graphics settings, just lags a fair bit around alot of scenery etc..

Cheers, Ren

Try directX it is slightly more efficent for Windows.

Cheerio John

Back