TUME’s Simulation of “The Milwaukee Road”

Those Milwaukee Road SD40-2's - whose model is that? Auran's mesh? SPORBUST? Yours? Or someone else's? In some shots, it appears to be Auran's.

Hallo – the SD40-2’s you see in the video (link at the initial post) have been created by myself, using the mesh from Aurans Art Source CD. But I changed and improved a lot at it, just to meet the outfit of several Milwaukee Road SD40’s. In fact, I created three versions of mesh and texture, as the Milwaukee Road operated quite a number of SD40’s and some of it looked different in detail to others – just as far as I investigated by studying a lot of web photos. So now there are three – in detail different looking – SD40-2’s – equipped with a variation of running numbers.
The Electrics have also been created by me.

Cheers Uwe:)

Hi Tume,

I didn't really help you at all: I just offered my opinion, but I take your thanks and return it by saying "you are welcome!".

I like the texture you used as it looks much more realistic. That being said, I thought they would use an *open grate* sort of system without a wheel base (so rain and snow could go through). I tried to find some pictures on the internet but I couldn't seem to find any. It was hard to find the floor but it looked like solid metal. I don't know if there is a wheel base but yeah it looks better now.

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Well, I created the Auto-Rack’s the way, I found it at a video about the Milwaukee Road back in the 70’s and a train carried such kind of Auto-Rack’s. I have got general dimensions by measuring the “AutorackOpenCN740161” from majekear.
As you can see, the bottom texture now also made it up to the roll on – roll off ramps at the front and back sides of the Auto-Rack’s.

screen081.jpg

Tume i give you a plus for the screenies from the jeep and the nice autoracks. Oh and Tume If you are looking for some Trailer train 89ft flats they are on the download station more over so the 4 different versions kuid 126855: just search for it on the DLS under kuid as you can find some 89ft flats on a MILW train but i think they can be a hazard under you Electric wire poles. And there's a C30-7 in Milw paint on the DLS that can substitute for a U33C or a U36C since no one made it yet. You can change the horn and the sounds by using the GE sounds on the DLS. Don't forget the trailers for the 4 89ft flats. US Locomotive works has some great hornsounds if you want them for the substitute C30.

Last edited:
Tume i give you a plus for the screenies from the jeep and the nice autoracks. Oh and Tume If you are looking for some Trailer train 89ft flats they are on the download station more over so the 4 different versions kuid 126855: just search for it on the DLS under kuid as you can find some 89ft flats on a MILW train but i think they can be a hazard under you Electric wire poles. And there's a C30-7 in Milw paint on the DLS that can substitute for a U33C or a U36C since no one made it yet. You can change the horn and the sounds by using the GE sounds on the DLS. Don't forget the trailers for the 4 89ft flats. US Locomotive works has some great hornsounds if you want them for the substitute C30.

Hallo – thank you very much for your tips! Thats great! The 89ft trailer will owrk fine under my trolley wire. I think, I will go making a reskin and put it onto DLS – just like the creator wrote it down. The locos would off course require a bit more time – I will check it out.

And here come just some more Jeep screens.

Cheers Uwe

Well, I created the Auto-Rack’s the way, I found it at a video about the Milwaukee Road back in the 70’s and a train carried such kind of Auto-Rack’s. I have got general dimensions by measuring the “AutorackOpenCN740161” from majekear.
As you can see, the bottom texture now also made it up to the roll on – roll off ramps at the front and back sides of the Auto-Rack’s.

It looks good! Keep up the great work!

Gisa ^^

Yes, indeed. This is some of the best work I've ever seen in Trainz.

I find that the C36-7 available on the DLS makes a better U36C. I've skinned it in Clinchfield, C&O, D&H, and L&N colors for myself. The cab and nose are spot on for a GE. The C30-7 looks more like a U25C than a later model GE.

And yes, I recognized that Auran fuel tank on the SD40-2's! The bottom of the tank sits too high off the rail. The curvature of the sides is too sharp as a result. It's a minor thing that detracts from the overall appearance. After doing so well in its original incarnatation, I'm still not sure how Auran messed that up.

I had thought a few months ago while researching the Chicago, Terre Haute & Southeastern/INRD that I might make some Milwaukee Road SD45's and SD40-2's just for fun - the B&LE SD38's and Eastern Idaho SD45's I made have given me a good headstart already. Oh well. I have four big projects coming to fruition now, no sense in adding to that until I get them out the door!

Those Milwaukee Road SD40-2's - whose model is that? Auran's mesh? SPORBUST? Yours? Or someone else's? In some shots, it appears to be Auran's.

Because of your question again - here comes some screens from my SD40-2’s. As I wrote, its been created by myself, using the mesh from Aurans Art Source CD. After investigation of real photos, I specified three major versions of this locos used be the Milwaukee Road. The versions are different just in some details as the horn arrangement at the cab roof and the some have been painted with “MILWAUKEE ROAD” at its front hood and at each side of the motor hood – others have been painted without the RR’s name. So I have made three SD40-2 versions within different mesh and texture – each equipped with running numbers, just like the real photo investigation carried out.
I also created an interior especially for this locos, by using and changing of interior gmax files available at Aurans’s web page. The interior is equipped with the typical extension box of the cab side window at the driver side. Also there are a lot of camera views, so it is possible the “step” outside the cab, to get around the motor hood or watch the train going through the landscape from beside the front hood – outside the driver cab.

You can see the SD40’s in action at my video – just in case you have not seen it jet.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=55290062

:)

Cab view inside.

Cab view from beside the front hood.

Cab view from beside the motor hood.

Cab view from beside the back.

The animated fans.

Tume,

Your work is really quite good. Thanks for all of the videos as well. On the autorack, did you add weight to the cars to make it a bit more realistic?

Interesting idea adding the ability to step outside of the cab on the Milw loco's.

I have a book on the Milw Rd that shows some of their road freight SD40's with a Hiawatha indian logo on the front of the engine nose. It's one of the best railroad logos out there to this day. Take a look, you might want to consider adding it to one of your SD's.

Thanks again for the updates.

Dan

That's a really cool cabview! Thanks TUME.:) When will this locomotive be released to the DLS?

Nice Myspace videos by the way.

cam

Yes, indeed. This is some of the best work I've ever seen in Trainz.

I find that the C36-7 available on the DLS makes a better U36C. I've skinned it in Clinchfield, C&O, D&H, and L&N colors for myself. The cab and nose are spot on for a GE. The C30-7 looks more like a U25C than a later model GE.

And yes, I recognized that Auran fuel tank on the SD40-2's! The bottom of the tank sits too high off the rail. The curvature of the sides is too sharp as a result. It's a minor thing that detracts from the overall appearance. After doing so well in its original incarnatation, I'm still not sure how Auran messed that up.

I had thought a few months ago while researching the Chicago, Terre Haute & Southeastern/INRD that I might make some Milwaukee Road SD45's and SD40-2's just for fun - the B&LE SD38's and Eastern Idaho SD45's I made have given me a good headstart already. Oh well. I have four big projects coming to fruition now, no sense in adding to that until I get them out the door!

Hallo – thanks for the tip because of the tank. I really did not check this detail, but now I will do so. I can change the tank mesh easily I think. I am also thinking about creating of a SD45-2 for the Milwaukee Road. Because of the many different details I prefer to make a mesh by myself, rather than to go for a reksin. I can the take cab and a lot of other stuff from my SD40’s, the major work would be, to crate a new motor hood and to get the texture arranged for it. I already collected a lot of SD45-2 photos from the Milwaukee Road, to study the little details as good as possible. This was the easiest part as I created the FP45’s for the Milwaukee Road, as there have been just 5 of it.

Cheers Uwe

Tume,

Your work is really quite good. Thanks for all of the videos as well. On the autorack, did you add weight to the cars to make it a bit more realistic?

Interesting idea adding the ability to step outside of the cab on the Milw loco's.

I have a book on the Milw Rd that shows some of their road freight SD40's with a Hiawatha indian logo on the front of the engine nose. It's one of the best railroad logos out there to this day. Take a look, you might want to consider adding it to one of your SD's.

Thanks again for the updates.

Dan

Yes, I have included some weight for the car loads. I have set the weight for the Van and the Hillux to 2,5 tons each, for the Falcon and the Jetta, 1,0 tons each and for the 4x4 1,3 tons. But its just a guess, I do not know the real numbers, so if anybody knows it – please led me know.

Yes, you are right, there have been a lot of Milwaukee Road's SD40-2's wearing the Running Indian. This was introduced in the late 70's or early 80's, if I am right. I have found photos from SD40-2's without the symbol dated in the early 70's and photos from the same SD40-2's with the symbol dated to 1985. I just concentrated myself to create versions of SD40-2's for the time of Milwaukee Road's electrified mainline. But you just made a nice proposal. So I can make a series of SD40-2's with the symbol as well, but this probably will have to wait until later this year.

Cheers Uwe :wave:

Hallo mbv67, thanks for your tipp and the link to rrmods.com. I just downloaded the SD45’s and its needed files, so I will have a look at it.

Cheers Uwe

Hey Tume if you go back to the page were you downloaded the link from look again all the assets that it needs are right there above the main link for the loco.

Hey Tume if you go back to the page were you downloaded the link from look again all the assets that it needs are right there above the main link for the loco.

Thank you – I have got everything and the SD45 looks great! It gives some reason and ideas for a redesign and improvement of my SD40-2's to me. Especially some texture details at the roof and at the hoods could look even better, if I go for little improvements at the SD40-2’s.

Cheers Uwe

Hey tume, when will the Bi-Polar be available?

Yes, I will do my best to get the rest of the Bi-Polars done through the summer.

As the Bitterroot Layout besides Milwaukee Road’s transcontinental mainline also includes Northern Pacific’s Lookout Pass Line all the way from Haugan, Mt up over the Lookout Pass and further west through Mullan, Id, I just put some screens in here showing a steam train as it runs through all the loops to get up to the pass.

Heading west beside St. Regis River

Passing through Saltese, Mt – Milwaukee Road’s Steel Trestle in background.

Entering the double loop, east of Lookout Pass.

Moving at the lower track – middle track, tunnel and upper track in background.

Moving at the middle track.

Moving at the millde track.

Moving Moving at the upper track.

Looking down the last loop, before Lookout Pass.

Going through the last curve before Lookout Pass.

You also can see the train in action at the following video:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=41090863

A view more scenes can be seen at the presentation video – in case you have not watched it jet. Use the link above the banner.

Cheers Uwe :)

Back