Tumbler Ridge Project

Murray river bridge is finally done, made each support post only 28 tris/polys using a neat method I found when playing fallout 4.
The bridge (and everything else in shot:)) looks excellent. Are you able to share the technique you used to get such a low poly count with such a great result?

R3

The bridge (and everything else in shot:)) looks excellent. Are you able to share the technique you used to get such a low poly count with such a great result?

R3

Thanks! The support itself is a simple rectangular shape (8 polys) with a 2 sided material with a texture that has the holes alpha textured out. The areas inside are planes to give the proper illusion of faces inside of the support, which takes up 20 polys. The alpha texture (that makes the holes) allows those interior faces to be seen which saves a lot collectively in the overall poly count.

Thanks. The holes look very smooth compared with most alpha masked textures I've seen, and the double sided texture also works well.

Good job!

R3

I've gotten a lot of scenery detailing done lately between mp1 and mp30.

scr_572e794280704.JPG

scr_572e793c11e53.JPG

scr_572e7947f0298.JPG

scr_572e794d404a2.JPG

scr_572e7953ae40d.JPG

scr_572e795b55ff0.JPG

:D Thanks for the new Picks, you just gave me a stunning idea, ;) by the way you did your Tree spacing in the mountains, I have a downloaded route that is pretty populated with Trees,:'( so thick in spots it's unbelievable, so I'm looking at your large open spaces here and there, and it would help my Laptop with integrated Video Card by reducing some of the overgrown forest. Your scenery detail looks very realistic.......Keep up the good work.

Great shots there Matt. Your route is a true work of art with every screenshot you post. I will definitely be giving this route a lot of attention when it gets released. Keep up the good work on it.

Thanks guys, going to try and update a little more often on this route seeing as I'm making a lot of progress each week.

scr_573775d2b27c2.JPG

scr_573775ce04aac.JPG

scr_573775c6a2c1c.JPG

I really don't like you now. You had my interest with this route, until you infected it with excavators. 0/10, would not recommend all because of excavators.

Nice shots there ATSF854. I really like the way how you pick the right sky for that sun set look. What sky did you use?

I have learned that using rulers and proper measurements are critical to getting accurate track work. Joe (socalwb909) might get a laugh out of how many rulers I used in that first pic.
-Yes, using rulers makes for great track work. I use a minimum of 6 rulers per one turn... for say, a 30-45 degree turn. Say if the turn was a horseshoe, you could easily double that and or more. I should have taken a pic of all the rulers used to do the Tehachapi loop, Walong siding lol.

-Sorry for the late reply!

-Joe

Last edited:
Back