Trainz Web Ring - Who's running it now?

Johnk

Boarded October 2001
I started the Trainz WebRing several years ago but put it to rest (or that's what I thought) when it got completely out of hand*. I notice that several web sites, including relatively new ones, are still displaying the WebRing logo, plus the infrastructure which is supplied by Bravenet seems to still be intact. Unfortunately, over 75% of the links on the WebRing are D E A D. This makes it rather useless without even taking many other issues into consideration*.

I'm wondering if anyone has actually taken charge of the WebRing, or is it one of those things that has continued to perpetuate in cyberspace all these years without human intervention?

All comments and help appreciated.

* Issues

• Some people were listed on the WebRing but refused to display the logo on their home page.
  • Others used frames to control people trying to visit other WebRing sites.
  • Too many sites closed down leaving many dead links.
  • Some people were manipulating the counter to get higher listings.
  • It was difficult to find sites lower down the list.
  • Bravenet started putting up too many ads and popups. I think this may have changed however.

I stuck the webring logo - with an alternative pic, the default was imho pretty ordinary - on my site maybe a couple of years ago. Took it off after a few weeks when almost every time i clicked on it I went to a dead site or a couple of times to sites that were not entirely suitable for bored young lads....

If you walked away from it, maybe it is time to put it out of it's misery if you still have control over it. It is amazing how domain names can find their way to someplace you would not want to be associated with.

Cheers

AJ

I thought I did put it out of its misery. I cancelled my account with Bravenet years ago, so someone has either taken it over, or Bravenet left the WebRing up. I was pretty crook at the time but I do recall someone wanting to take it over. Whether they did or not I just don't know.

Back