Trainz Simulator 2006 Freezing in Surveyor

Hi

I have TRS2006.I have 2GB Ram and run a ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card.
When ever I work on a layout in surveyor it freezes and wont move.I have to reboot my computer and when I go back in sometimes it comes up with a message that i have not had a map selected in that layout.My drivers are up to date so has anyone got any ideas what my problem is.

Thanks

Robert2004

Hi

When ever I work on a layout in surveyor it freezes and wont move.I have to reboot my computer and when I go back in sometimes it comes up with a message that i have not had a map selected in that layout.My drivers are up to date so has anyone got any ideas what my problem is.

Thanks

Robert2004

It may just be your graphics card. For some reason Trainz & Surveyor prefer the nVIDIA graphics cards. Did surveyor ever work properly?

tomurban

I have Trainz 2006 and Surveyor works perfectly for me on my ATI Radeon HD 4850. Do you have the ATI Catalyst 9.3 driver (The last one to support the 9600)? You said you have the latest drivers, but the latest one (Catalyst 9.7) doesn't support the 9600. Could that be the problem?

EDIT: Here's the link to the driver in case you don't have it.

When Surveyor freezes, have you tried Control-Alt-Delete or pressing the Windows key on the keyboard? If you can, open Task Manager when you Control-Alt-Delete or right-click on the taskbar and click on Task Manager. Then click on Processes in the upper-left corner. Find the process called "Trainz.exe" and either press Delete on the keyboard or click on End Process. That will terminate Trainz (sadly without saving), but you should be able to restart Trainz afterward without restarting the whole computer.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Kyle

Last edited:
Thanks for replying to my problem.Ctrl-alt-delete and windows buttons-nothing happens when buttons pushed.I have the 9.3 drivers for my radeon graphics card.This has all started recently-do you think my graphics card has failed-is there anyway to test it.I have TRS2004 as well as TRS2006 and was going to buy TRS2009 soon,but not much use if this continues to happen.

Thanks
Robert2004

Hi Robert2004,
When you say that your problem started recently can you remember what was happening immediately before the problem arose? Was there a recent update for Windows, whichever version you are using (XP,Vista??)? This problem could stem from a non-Trainz source. Have you tried rolling back your video drivers to a previous version? It's very odd that Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't do anything.

Cheers
Russell.

Hi Russell

I dont know where to start.I have had quite a few problems with my computer in the past few months.It all started with 1 of my 2 harddrives failing.My local computer shop copied the files from the old harddrive to the new one.When I received my Tower back my monitor threw in the towel,so I bought a new flat screen 21.5 inch.My old monitor was a tV type monitor-you dont think that an incorrect setting re the monitor could be doing this.

New monitor installed Trainz seemed to work fine until my windows program developed a problem as well as one of my Ram Cards.Ram card replaced and then a problem with my sound card-replaced.Still having problems with windows i contacted a firm which come to a customers residence to fix computers.

He saved my files and completely deleted my C drive reloading windows a fresh.My computer then seemed to work fine but Trainz developed this freeze.Even completely deleting the Trainz program and reinstalling-Twice,has not fixed the problem.TRS2004 seems to go fine,its TRS2006 who has the problem.Is it the SP1 Patch,but I have done it as per instruction,with the message complete coming up upon finishing.

I can get into surveyor for maybe 10mins then it freezes and I have to reboot the computer-ctrl-alt-delete has no effect.

Who Knows-Thats Computers for you
Robert2004

Try This...

Make sure you have the autosave time set to a reasonable value in the trainz
configuration screen. If set to zero it sometimes tries to continuously save
your map.

Just an Idea,;)

Stephen

How big is the layout you are working on in surveyor??? Wouldn't hurt to get another gig (or two) of RAM.
I'm not saying that will definitely solve the problem, but it might !!! Some routes/layouts require up to 2 gigs just for Trainz... (then approx 500 megs for OS).
Cheers, Mac...

Thanks for replying to my problem.Ctrl-alt-delete and windows buttons-nothing happens when buttons pushed.I have the 9.3 drivers for my radeon graphics card.This has all started recently-do you think my graphics card has failed-is there anyway to test it.I have TRS2004 as well as TRS2006 and was going to buy TRS2009 soon,but not much use if this continues to happen.

Thanks
Robert2004

There is a program called "PC-Doctor" It allows you to individually test the various components of your PC and provides a result for each test. It may be available as a download. See if you can google it.

Good luck, tomurban

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks

Robert2004

As most are saying - graphics definately-
i had a gentleman in lowood complain of a similar problem a few years ago after he had had a complete reinstall of windows, we sat down to nut out the prob and to be sure we had to use the Driver off the cd that came with the card - the driver version was ancient compared with the current version at the time but that did the trick. i promptly recieve payment for my services and went straight to the closest software store and purchased my first copy of Trainz ,the UTC pack and i still cannot get enough of Trainz.
Shane

Back