Trainz Past-Present-Future

Hi All,
Like Vern I am in the 95% and the PC based program allows me to do my own thing independent of a connection to the web and free from planned or unplanned updates going on while I am trying to start the program.
Bob
ID:450495

Same for me
I also hope vor no(t much) cloud stuff...

Only a multiplayer-server software would be nice...

Anything MMO, Cloud based or otherwise would be an instant turn off for me. I tolerate Steam as a DRM and content delivery system (as for TS2014-Railworks) but call me a dinosaur I prefer good old fashioned standalone computer gaming. As for anything involving greater reliance on social media - also forget it. Never been a Facebook member and the latest carp over permitting the hosting of snuff (real beheading) film clips on there means I never will.

Just give us a decent new train sim that incorporates the best of all the other programmes out there and 95% of the customers will be happy.

Ditto 100%. Which is why I won't be buying any future Trainz content or software, and why I don't make much content anymore.

All this talk about MMO/Cloud-subscription-based services is interesting...I said about 5 months ago that this seems to be the direction N3V is taking...

Anything MMO, Cloud based or otherwise would be an instant turn off for me. I tolerate Steam as a DRM and content delivery system (as for TS2014-Railworks) but call me a dinosaur I prefer good old fashioned standalone computer gaming. As for anything involving greater reliance on social media - also forget it. Never been a Facebook member and the latest carp over permitting the hosting of snuff (real beheading) film clips on there means I never will.

Just give us a decent new train sim that incorporates the best of all the other programmes out there and 95% of the customers will be happy.

And fine for me if includes tram routes, mining and narrow gauge and the other 5% for the driveable ships, including sailing ships, barges, docks, harbours, canal networks with or without trains - which I make for myself in the Blender Game Engine up to 12 miles:)

Last edited:
I'm 100% with you guys on the cloud thing. I don't want to have to be connected to use Trainz like we are with SimCity. Even EA is looking seriously at that failed model again and will becoming out with an offline patch.

If N3V fixed what they've got and made some nice graphics improvements, I'd be more than happy.

John

Agreed... if N3V goes the cloud route I will go back to the basement and play! Virtual is nice but if I have to go the connected / steam kind of way I am out.

While it's great to see so many people rejecting the cloud/internet-based route, keep in mind that this is already essentially the case as of TS12 SP1.

At least with DLC, for now. You have to go online at least once a month in order to keep using your DLC purchases with the present system.

And it's a pretty safe bet that N3V will eventually extend this to the game itself and perhaps increase the frequency of the check-ins. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I highly doubt it.

So, there is very little practical difference between a subscription/MMO/cloud-based game and the current and likely future PC-based versions.

Last edited:
While it's great to see so many people rejecting the cloud/internet-based route, keep in mind that this is already essentially the case as of TS12 SP1, at least with DLC, for all intents and purposes: You have to go online at least once a month in order to keep using your DLC purchases. And it's a pretty safe bet that N3V will eventually extend this to the game itself and perhaps increase the frequency of the check-ins. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I highly doubt it. So, there is very little practical difference between a subscription/MMO/cloud-based game and the current and likely future PC-based versions.
If you are right I just hope N3V fix the issues with TS12 58414 because that will be a sticking point for me.

Exactly the same view here, if we can't have a new engine at least enable those of us with PC's that can handle a decent draw distance to actually use it.

Forget the Cloud. I'm not remotely interested.

I wouldn't want a downloaded version either.

Packaged discs please that I can see, feel and reload onto any machine I want, whenever it might be necessary.

Oh, and please don't repeat the need for UK disks to have to be left inserted into the PC in order for the game to work.:n:

Last edited:
Add my support for the anti-cloud movement. One of the main reasons for staying with Trainz all these years was the lack of an online tether and lack of forced upgrades. IF they really go there, I'll stay at my last station and wave goodbye to that train as it disappears into the sunset.

Add my support for the anti-cloud movement. One of the main reasons for staying with Trainz all these years was the lack of an online tether and lack of forced upgrades. IF they really go there, I'll stay at my last station and wave goodbye to that train as it disappears into the sunset.
Same here. Add me to that list.

Ok, the Star, New Game Engine.

SLI Compatible.
64 Bit Platform
?
?

And it has to be a 64 Bit Platform too be considered "Future" because 32 Bit is in the past, just like that 8 Bit Y-Wing Fighter. BTW, that is Future-Present-Past as far as gaming.

Last edited:
Add me to the list also. Been with Auran/N3V Trainz product since 2003. Will not go down thw "cloud/steam/need for internet connection" agenda. I am already teetering on not purchasing anymore Trainz products because of the complete stuff up with TS12 !

No cloud please. It's terrible for gaming, due to all the problems that come with it.

Also, I like everything on my system. Makes me feel better.

Last edited:
No cloud please. It's terrible for gaming, due to all the problems that come with it.

Also, I like everything on my system. Makes me feel better.

You can't do that with this, maybe TS04, but not this. ie, you can't get the assets off the hard drive (SSD) fast enough to draw a screen, let alone a broadband connection. And if any game/Sim needs to be on a 64bit platform, this is a the top of the list.

I want to be able to load up an 8GB Session and run this thing like a like a TV movie. Keeping this game on a 32bit platform would be like putting lipstick on a pig at this point.

BTW, I guess we get no hints today.

Last edited:
Back