Trainz On Playstation 2?

Well, it would be pretty neat anyways. The concept of train simulations on consoles hasn't really gone further a few Japanese High Speed Train Simulators. It would be something around the TRS2004 area if I took a guess. For the saving, there could be a special PS2 Memory card with more storage. Developing a PS2 game would be pretty easy if you know what you are doing. I mean, look at what is out on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Its a shame PS2 games have been discontinued. :( Oh yea! Shane, have you tried getting on with N3V? You know your stuff!

Even Railworks for the Xbox wasn't that successful. The controller would dramatically cut back on the operating experience due to the lack of controls that a PC would have. And also the PS2 is hella old!

Another trouble with porting Trainz to the PS2 is the PS2 hard disk drive was not available in Europe/Australia, and the ones that were available in Japan/US are now starting to fail due to their extreme age (a lot are now reaching the 10-year old mark). Hence, either the software would have to be cut down to fit created routes/content onto a PS2 memory card (like the PS1 versions of Game Maker/RPG Maker do), or else they just runs premade routes with no Surveyor mode included, making it even more limited in appeal.

Additionally, this question has been asked a few times over the years before N3V took over, and Auran always responded saying that a port to a console isn't worth the investment 'at this time' due to expected returns would not cover development/porting/marketing costs. Still, N3V might be more willing to look at a console port, as anything is possible I guess.

From a quick look it also seems that the PS2 was problematic to code for, you can use a PS2 controller with a PC though and pretend. :hehe: Plenty info on the web.

Well, it would be pretty neat anyways. The concept of train simulations on consoles hasn't really gone further a few Japanese High Speed Train Simulators. It would be something around the TRS2004 area if I took a guess. For the saving, there could be a special PS2 Memory card with more storage. Developing a PS2 game would be pretty easy if you know what you are doing. I mean, look at what is out on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Its a shame PS2 games have been discontinued. :( Oh yea! Shane, have you tried getting on with N3V? You know your stuff!

PS2 is not totally discontinued. Mainly sports games come out every once and a while for the PS2. That console is still running. PS2 and Trainz sounds great but I think the graphics in the PS2 is 128 bit.

The controller would dramatically cut back on the operating experience due to the lack of controls that a PC would have. And also the PS2 is hella old!

PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 can use a Keyboard 'SCPH-10240' and there $50 USD of PlayAsia or you can get a 3rd party for $20.

I have 2 PlayStation 2's and 1 PlayStation 3, one of the PS2's is SCPH-15000 NTSC J with external HDD, and the other is SCPH-30001 NTSC U/C which where imports I got in 2005/2006 and have HDD fitted and I still play FFXI Online 'found the PC version limited when I bought a copy while I was on Mobile Internet in 2010', PlayStation 2 also has limitations such as the HDD is 40GB and reads 133mb/s, the PS3 however would be a better choice as it's HDD reads 3gb/s and can support upto 300GB, there's also talk of the PlayStation 4 under development, perhaps the PS4 might be a better choice when that comes out the, Japanese Playstation 2 has PSBBN, it's software that also copies music cd's to the HDD and can be played as background music in some games like with the Xbox, PS2 HDD's also back up memory card data, some games also save directly to Memory card, so it might worth a look for NTSC J and NTSC U/C consoles.

Sony abandoned HDD support for Aussie/NZ consoles as there was a new Modchip made that lets you rip hired out/borrowed games directly to the HDD and another software called HD Loader, that's why the support ended, if it wasn't for those Modchips or HD Loader the HDD was to be released in Australia early 2004.

Cheers.

Yeah, that's the reason for the PS2 HDD no show in Australia that EB Games told me back in 2004 as well. It's a moot point though, as from what I'm aware the only game that still uses the PS2 HDD is FFXI, and even that support is looking on very shaky ground (after all, the upcoming 'Seekers of Adoulin' expansion pack for FFXI won't even be available for PS2 users outside Japan), so there would be even less incentive for N3V to port Trainz to the PS2.

Not to mention even Sony themselves are finally moving on from the PS2 as well (they ceased manufacturing new PS2s a few weeks ago, even though new software is still being made, but even that's bound to be wound up in the near future). Really, if N3V did decided to release a console port of Trainz, it would probably be on one of the current or next gen consoles (PS3/360/WiiU - maybe even the PSVita) as it would have the best chance of commercial success, as minimal as it would realistically be.

Back