Trainz-build numbers below 3.7 are no longer supported....

I doubt this post will be well received, and I doubt it'll get much attention, but I'll try anyway. Open forums and all that....

What I see N3V trying to do I think makes alot of sense. They have made misteps I agree. Lack of communication is one of the bigger ones. Seriously Mr Windwalkr, I do kind of agree with them that some notice would have gone a long way. Nobody likes unexpected surprises in things they've spent hours, days, months, or years working on. I wonder if this was an attempt to not repeat the earlier issue of 8 month mistaken(?) notice, but like Volcanologists, its better to give early warning and be wrong then give late warning and be right.....

Getting back to the meat though, at the end of the day, the current system of Content Creation and dispersal is a mess.... Its almost as bad as the old MSTS system. Its reliant on Tribal Knowledge with no back stops or checks past a very minimal way..... Generally, a Program IS the standard that content for it is created to.... Rail Simulators however were the beast that broke that mold. And for a very long time that was awesome. People could make whatever they wanted (How many Place Holder Assets have been made? Unauthorized Copies? Shoddy Fill Items? There was even a guy that was directly ripping FREE Russian Content, relabeling KUID #s and selling them on his site to unwary unknowing buyers....). Today though, I've seen screen shots of people with almost half a MILLION Assets installed Locally..... Statistically speaking, across IDK, 8? 10? Versions of this game? probably somewhere on order of 30-40% of those assets are old and out of date and nobody even wants to upgrade them because they're about as useful and nice to look at as two sticks to rub together.... Most of which was done by people that no longer play or have any interest in content creation anymore.

Speaking as a user that has spent about a week now heavily investing time to investigating errors and issues in T:ANE (And still learning), I'm seeing tons of higher quality TS12 asset fixed in about minute or less (And could easily be fixed by a Program such as what PEVsoft is likely to create, assuming Mr ShaneTurner is willing to). Including alot of your's Mr Jacksonbarno, just happens I've been working on your heavyweight reskins from Whitepass last night..... And Mr Davesnow, alot of your assets aren't even flagging errors, so job well done.... I haven't worked with much from the rest of ya'll that've posted here so I have nothing to report.....

Most things that are flagging at all are flagging one or two little errors, some of which I feel are silly for N3V to ask for, but I can understand their reasoning as part of an attempt at making a wider standard for the content people have access to. Things like Dual use of .Tga Files as a Thumbnail, or a Decimal Point in the Maximum Load Capacity for an Engine or Wagon. Is it really so bad to not use .tga Files as Thumbnails, or to keep things like decimal points out of maximum Fuel Tank Capacities? I feel like this whole event is like OSHA from the 1970's and 80's.... Ok, we might get chewed out now if we bend from our backs instead of our legs, but at the end of the day I'm happier if I end up with out a blown back when I lose, leave, or quit that job.....

Anyway, I feel like N3V is trying to build some standards back into their franchise. To do that everyone has to start on the same page.... We all need the same game..... How much time do any of you active content creators spend on each asset checking in other versions if your new content works? Or fixing it if it doesn't work in on version or another? Wouldn't you like to NOT have to do that anymore? That would drive me nuts! Wouldn't it be nice to just make something, spend more time doing LOD and Alpha Channels and Shadows and whatever else, and then JUST UPLOAD IT without having to worry about compatibility? You guys are far more patient then I am, and my hats off to you for that, but I can't say anything beyond "If I ever do create content, I can't be bothered to make it compatible to anything but the most current version"...... Further, I guess I'll never understand the people that hate on 61388 or otherwise. The content generated for it has generally been fantastic, and in my experience its been far more stable.... And I'm routinely working with a Route that has 2600 *listed* Assets, a City Scape with thousands of assets in a tiny tiny little area, and though TS12 handles this far from perfectly, it handled it just fine..... Even loading up all JR and DES level Trains and running through it in the process (RAM and Good freakin Graphics card recommended for this). Barring outdated Computer parts (Which I can understand, having to scrimp and save for Boots, much less a Graphics Card), I can't fathom why anybody wouldn't want to figure out the newest versions, particularly if they already have demonstrated the patience to create Content, but apparently not to figure out some little idiosyncracies that involve waiting 10-15 seconds sometimes so they can have access to the latest Graphical ability in a hobby thats entirely centric to Graphics? IDK....

Anyway, so theres my 2 cents. Read it, consider it, gloss it over, whatever, as you see fit,
-Falcus

The only thing I'm annoyed about at this stage is the lack of advance notice - I had a feeling that there would be a support change sometime though.

In terms of the PEVSoft tools, they will still be available (and hopefully PEV will be sorting out any required updates so that said tools are compatible with T:ANE - I will be doing my best to assist on that front).

Incidentally, I don't think there's much difference in requirements between 3.5/3.6 and 3.7, apart from possible sound file changes and a few other minor changes.

Shane

We've been had... Didn't I say that last year? Deep down inside I knew this was coming in one way or another!

The problem is we have a developer who has a 100% disconnect from the community. This is why we see no information on updates, changes, or anything until the last minute. As usual, we never had any advanced notice on what we're facing. We will instead have to wait until the last minute and face 100s or thousands of broken assets because we were never given the tools or information on how to fix them, and we have been left dry as we find we can't suddenly upload content below 3.7 up to the DLS. A common courtesy would have been to tell the community. All they needed to do is tell us a few months ago, but NO! Instead we find out these things the hard way.

I'm sure there are many things that require updating that could be done automatically within a patch or upgrade. Why do we wait 14 hours for a patch to go in? Is it doing anything but spinning wheels with no communication back to us? Is it actually updating content? I now having a feeling it's not and is just inefficient code. Heck, they don't even update their own content and give us the wrath about missing thumbnails and borked containers in config files. If config.txt files need updating, why not run a string parser on them and update the code in them? The files will need to be decompressed anyway to do this, and while the patch is running it could vet the content and update it. There will of course be things that we will have to fix manually in the end, but I'm sure there would be far less than what we'll face now. The thing is the developers know what needs to be fixed. Since they know what needs fixing they can write the tools to do it. Then again, this begs the question do they actually know or are they winging this on the fly and hope the wrinkles come out in the wash? I have this suspicion by some of the comments regarding the questions on config changes and file formats. "We won't know what needs to be done until the code is finished.", or something to this effect. Come on... They write the code and don't know what the outcome is? Is this all black magic or a big wool pile that needs to be twisted into yarn. Is this the result of OOP methods? You wing the code and hope it processes into what you want it to do because all you do is link the modules together?

Anyway, I'm going off track...Over the past few months, my enthusiasm for the product has been less and less stellar. I've actually stopped using Trainz for months at a time. This is something I've never done before in the more than a decade of using the program. It wasn't because I was beta testing the new old c*rp that's coming out, it's because of the constant battles with the program. I'm tired, tired of fighting the same battles, and perhaps now this is the time I too to bid my farewell to the program. I no longer have the energy, or desire for that matter, to repair content yet again to work in yet another Trainz version without knowing what will be wrong until I try to use it. I'm tired of having to research the useless and confusing Wiki to find the information that's half baked up there, missing tags, and links that go nowhere. That's not how someone should support a program that's for sale.

John

Well, as I said before, it's a good thing that N3V competes in an industry saturated with competitors. We're not locked in with this, and as made evident by the astonishing number of creators that have left or will imminently leave the sim for another, N3V isn't making the problem any better.

Good luck finding a way to make money without a coherent fanbase N3V!

I wonder if this means that once the the first service pack for TANE comes out if support for the original TANE will be dropped?

If TS12 is an example, I would guess yes.

4a54939a8d38e7ec9afef439a703632b.jpg

So, in the week I've had it, I've been uploading bits and pieces of my saved/downloaded CDPs I just happened to have around (Of which I've gotten through probably about half). T:ANE Shipped to me with something like ~14,500 Assets. I've doubled that..... Faulty Assets = less then 10% of that..... These are JR, K&L, Mcguriel Libraries, DES Stuff I DL'd straight from the Thread because I don't have an FCT, 3rd Party Content, whatever. A fair sampling of recent content..... And the errors I'm seeing Most? Uh oh.... one Wrong Value. I picked a Car at RANDOM and it popped up with an error Im associating with a misplaced Digit or Decimal Number.... Oh, and see all those POFIG Trees? Theres easily more then a hundred of those I still need to delete (As well as older Mcguriel Trees that I'll be very sorry to see go,though I might retain them long enough to switch them out of whatever routes use them), so actual number of genuinely Faulty assets I care about is far less then whats showed (On the order of 3-500).....

I really think you guys are blowing the changes in and of themselves out of proportion..... We'll see what happens after the 15th, and I'll wait until Mr Peter Villaume has an update to his Tools to feel totally relaxed, but honestly..... I agree the lack of warning for such a major change to the DLS is very frustrating, and it should have been handled better, but its their DLS. If you're gonna quit over it, just do it and stop saying it over and over again. We saw these exact same arguments when TS12 came out, again when the First Patch that actually made it usable came out, and now we have people clinging to 49922 for dear life judging from whats been written in this thread all the while deriding the new changes for T:ANE without, near as I can tell, any real evidence to back it up (See above Screenshot).....

If you're gonna Deride T:ANE, at least back it up first, please.... If its a legitimate complaint, I'll be right there with you.
-Falcus

Last edited:
They write the code and don't know what the outcome is? Is this all black magic or a big wool pile that needs to be twisted into yarn. Is this the result of OOP methods? You wing the code and hope it processes into what you want it to do because all you do is link the modules together?

Interesting post there, John. At the risk of digressing off topic of the issue of N3V's pulling the rug out from under their customers, I've been thinking the exact same thing about OOP lately. It seems like it's a gateway into unpredictable code. I know from CPP, among others, and it has always seemed to take a lot of steps to get even basic functions to work; add any real complexity, and you get progressively more bugs and more unpredictability.

Perhaps it's just the way my brain works, but I can bang something out in a number of non-OOP languages and get my code to "just work." I heavily favor assembly since I've been coding in that almost since day one. I had even been considering writing a utility to update my meshes to work with newer materials as I lost a few meshes in a hard drive crash several months ago. Re-modifying even just West Trenton station as it currently exists took much longer than it would have for me to write such a utility from the ground-up that would alter the existing mesh, and the utility would work with anything and everything. Needless to say, it's a moot point now as there is no way I'm going to bother.

P.S. Thanks for the rest of your post as well. Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

I fully support all that Paul and others have said on this. I am afraid it just demonstrates that N3V do not have any regard fpr their customers whatsoever. Their only interest is money. Whilst all businesses, of course, have to make a profit, some do have some regard for their customers and long time supporters. N3V obviously doesn't. Some of us creators put a reasonable amount of money into T:ANE and whilst we will still get that I would have expected N3V to show some regard for us by letting us know in advance that this was going to happen, not letting us carry on building assets that we thought could be used in TS12 as well as T:ANE.

One small correction there Falcus - it's PEV (Peter Villaume) that would be releasing the updates for the PEVSoft tools, as I simply host his tools and help out on the support side where possible. However, when it comes to my own tools, I will be releasing updates once I am more familiar with the technical side of T:ANE.

Shane

Maybe it's their intention, but it sounds like N3V is putting all their eggs in one basket. If TANE doesn't live up to it's hype (and IMHO it hasn't yet), there's going to be one messy pile of eggs on the floor. TANE is 5 months late, some features that were promised for release were put on the back burner, it's currently so buggy that I'd rather go sit in a kindergarten full of kids with chickenpox than try and create a route in TANE and as soon as the 15th of May rolls around, the first thing downloaders and box openers will have to do is install a patch.

I'm sorry N3V. If you have things under control, I'm afraid I just can't see it.

A disgruntled SharkNose.

FYI. I've just checked CM3.7 as I do regularly, and notice that as of today, 25/April/2015, Whitepass has had a mix of 2.9 and 3.3 assets uploaded. Now, were these already in a queue that beat the ban or was an internal N3V thing?

FYI. I've just checked CM3.7 as I do regularly, and notice that as of today, 25/April/2015, Whitepass has had a mix of 2.9 and 3.3 assets uploaded. Now, were these already in a queue that beat the ban or was an internal N3V thing?

Probably. I had something stuck in the queue as well.

Woah, I'm a tad late to the party! Guess it's more work and reading before I can continue properly with whatever it is I'm building... I'm not even convinced regarding upgrading to T:ANE, the visuals don't look leaps and bounds better, and I'm unaware if the program runs significantly better, because lets be honest, TS12 can run like a dog at times. An improvement might tempt me however...

I think it would be sensible of N3V to permit version 3.5 uploads, at the moment TANE seems to require a high end nVidia card with a special setting in the drivers control panel so it doesn't sound mainstream. I've tried the CE 1.2 edition and at the moment I prefer TS12.

Others have commented that TS12 is sufficient for their needs, I think that TANE needs time before its ready and if the content creators aren't going to drift away they need a bit of TLC.

Cheerio John

I'm a TS12 SP1 user and now moving on to create in TANE so the new limits should not affect me personally (at least not directly), however I'm disappointed by the way this change has been implemented and it's quite clear that I'm not alone in this view.

Only recently N3V said they were going to extend the involvement of the "Pioneer Council" members because of the lack of communication with the Council during TANE development. Surely the issue of version "support" should have been one to run by the council members ?

It's easy to dismiss the views of 'mere users' as being ill informed but many of us understand very well the issues involved and are able to give a view of the impact on your customers of any changes whilst balancing this against the technical and commercial implication.

To sum up - Tony, Chris (et al.) please consult with and listen to your users (customers) - even if you decide to do your own thing in the end.

Chris M

My plea to N3V - please reinstate builds 3.5 and 3.6 to the life-cycle policy as everyone believed it and understood it until this week. As John said, please offer some TLC to your asset creators who, after all, co-produce this game with you and add immeasurable value to it with their creations. I understand, and support, the need to move the game on and to obsolete older versions, but surely obsoleting builds 3.5 and 3.6, without warning, is premature? John is right that, until TANE is 'broken in' we need to have some overlap with older versions to provide 'wiggle room' - TS12 SP1 does not suit everyone, so surely the earlier builds of TS12 should continue to be supported until the new version is bedded in?

Paul

I wonder if this means that once the the first service pack for TANE comes out if support for the original TANE will be dropped?

That first service pack is currently scheduled for May 15th. Support dropped before we even get hold of it!

N3V have stated that TANE will be backward compatible with TS12 - that's fine, but in that would have to at least support build 2.9 and above is my guess.
Also, N3V should also be aware that the customer base has spent endless hours:
1. Downloading content
2. Creating content
3. Repairing content

They have also spent money on:
1. Buying updated Trainz
2. Buying content from N3V & 3rd Party
3. Buying updating 3d programs to create content

Basically what I am saying is that everyone into Trainz has made some sort of commitment be it time, money or anything else to support the product.

And at a rough guess it would be in N3V's best interest to maintain the good relations (currently under threat) and keep on supporting user and creationist up to TS12 and builds 2.9 and above for at least the next few years until.
A. The users update to TANE
B. Creators get time to fix/repair and build TANE compliant assets (that by the way should be backward compatible to TS12).

I can only encourage all our dedicated creators to hang in and not chuck in the towel - we the user love you all.

Back