Trainz 2009 Problems

Baron_Jutter

Well I decided to grab trainz 2009 and get back into the franchise. So far I'm noticing better graphics but I'm also having a few problems with seemingly missing features.

My main problem is there doesn't seem to be object categories anymore. I used to be able to switch between industries, houses, stations and so on in the object list to help find the objects I need. Now everything seems to be in one huge imposible to navigate list. Am I missing some new interface or am I really going to have to scroll through thousands of items (many with totally non-intuitive names) to find what I need??

The same goes with the rolling stock and texture brushes, no categories so it's a nightmare to sort. I can't imagine the removal of this important sorting aid was thought to be a good idea, so I must just be stupidly missing some button or new way of doing things. Anyone help?

Well I decided to grab trainz 2009 and get back into the franchise. So far I'm noticing better graphics but I'm also having a few problems with seemingly missing features.

My main problem is there doesn't seem to be object categories anymore. I used to be able to switch between industries, houses, stations and so on in the object list to help find the objects I need. Now everything seems to be in one huge imposible to navigate list. Am I missing some new interface or am I really going to have to scroll through thousands of items (many with totally non-intuitive names) to find what I need??

The same goes with the rolling stock and texture brushes, no categories so it's a nightmare to sort. I can't imagine the removal of this important sorting aid was thought to be a good idea, so I must just be stupidly missing some button or new way of doing things. Anyone help?

You can filter the content. Using the icon shaped like a Y on the menu bar. In the filter, put in the type of content you want, and it will show up in the installed content items. I put in house, to search for houses, etc. You can also setup other filters in CM2. This is helpful if you're looking for particular users. I for example have put BenDorsey in his downloaded content so I can find everything installed by him.

At first I didn't like this sytsem, but the more I use it, the more I like it because it let me customize my conten the way I like it. Before it was necessary to edit config files to make this work. Now it's only a matter of ediiting a filter list in CM2 if necessary.

John

Another problem I'm having, and one I've had since the first trainz, is that all the masks on trees look terrible. There seems to be some transparency problem where every tree has a sort of halo of transparency around it that also blocks all other trees or masks behind it. Is there any way around that?

But I've had this problem since the first trainz, on multiple computers and video cards. Is this something unique to trainz engine or something just wrong with my systems? I've seen screen shots of trainz where the trees don't look terrible. How come mine always look so bad?

Also i can't seem to get object copy/paste to work. I can get it to paste terrain textures and elevations but never objects. Clicking forests one tree at a time is a bit time consuming, I was hoping I could make a nice mix of trees and just copy-paste them all over my hills.

Also in the new object filter, how do you filter based on interactive industries?

Last edited:
But I've had this problem since the first trainz, on multiple computers and video cards. Is this something unique to trainz engine or something just wrong with my systems? I've seen screen shots of trainz where the trees don't look terrible. How come mine always look so bad?

It's to do with the way TRS2009 handles alpha channel. There are now TRS2009 trees around, not many but a few have a look on the DLS.

Cheerio John

searching for 2009 only gave me 3 engines as a result..hmmm

Any ideas about the copy-paste problems?

Try searching for tree in the description. I assume you were looking for Trees? There are more than 3 trees on the DLS for TRS2009. Not everything with 2.9 version on it uses normal maps etc. It depends how much the content creator knows about version numbers etc. Some of the TRS2009 stuff is really TC3 level with the 2.9 version number on it.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
Is there a way to find out who the author is of an asset within trainz? I found some roads I like, but I'd like to filter only those roads and anything made by that creator (so I can see the compatible objects, level crossings and such)

Back