Train will not move

big_b

I have large areas of single track with passing junctions in my route ( setting up for AI ) I just created a simple loop with passing areas with bi directional travel 4 track marks each direction 2 placed at mid point between junctions and 2 in passing junctions each way to test signals and passing operation
Running 2 locos they work fine in the passing junctions they just keep going.
When I ad a 3rd loco it refuses to move when I start driver even if signals are green ahead
Any ideas
Been trying other locos and added a spur to start 3rd loco from into the loop but still not moving .getting aws warnings and saying 3rd loco is approaching various signals but it aint moving even with green lights eventually the first 2 locos stuff up somewhere with the 3rd there even if its in a siding

Last edited:
Any ideas

Just looking at the track profile line at the bottom of that screenshot where it shows the first 4 signals as STOP-STOP-CAUTION-STOP with the consist indicator between the CAUTION signal and the last STOP signal. I would have a guess that the CAUTION signal is a distant signal otherwise it would show STOP as the consist has just passed it - if I am reading this correctly.

The signal directly in front of consist 3 (assuming it is moving to the left of screen) is showing STOP which would explain why it is not moving. Junction 18, ahead of consist 3, APPEARS to be switched to the right into the path of consist 1, which would explain why the signal is at STOP.

Is any of this visual analysis correct?

The problem is the signaling on the single track. Signals look at the next block and train 2 can see train 3 and train 3 can see train 1. Train 1 has control of the junction. Train 3 needs to know a path through the loop or it waits to take the shortest one. I would put a TM on each track in the loop area and name them [Loop A (1), Loop A (2)], and [Loop B (1), Loop B (2)]. Then use the "drive via trackmark list" driver command and tell each train to drive via the first available Loop A and drive via the first available Loop B. The trains should then find the empty track and pass by.

I added a few extra signals out side the junctions. Original 2 locos ran without problems for about an hour.Added a third loco the first 2 started to run as always the 3rd refused to move even with 5 green signals ahead of it including the junction was aligned to its path

You state that the passing loops are "bi-directional" but they do not appear to be signaled as bi-directional. In the screenshot posted above, for example, the left hand loop has an exit signal but the right hand loop does not. This may not solve the problem but, at the least, it could eliminate some possibilities.

You state that the passing loops are "bi-directional" but they do not appear to be signaled as bi-directional. In the screenshot posted above, for example, the left hand loop has an exit signal but the right hand loop does not. This may not solve the problem but, at the least, it could eliminate some possibilities.
In the shot above the loco is at it's starting point heading anti clock wise to pass on the LHS at junction 16 with 5 greens and junction set but it refuses to move. The other direction always pass on the RHS the signal on the top side is just out of shot.You can see them in the 1st pic

I have set up a copy of your layout with a few changes - specifically the one suggested by Stagecoach above to remove the intermediate signals on the single track segments. These signals invariably lead to "Cornfield Meets" where two trains moving in opposing directions end up facing each other with the signal pair between them.

In my setup I did notice an issue. The AI will always take the shortest available path between two destinations (in this case track markers). In my simulation, this lead to one train deciding that the best path after reaching one track mark was to reverse direction to get to the next marker because it was closer than driving around the loop in the correct direction. My solution was to add more track marks in the route and in its driver command list. But I have not yet tested my layout with 3 moving consists.

Problem Solved

I have made some modifications to the layout design.
  1. added a 4th passing loop - the passing loops are at 90 degrees apart on the main loop
  2. removed the intermediate signals (as suggested above)
  3. added Track Priority Markers to the main and passing lines configured as:-
    • the two trains moving in the same direction and the passing loop line at each loop have been set to Priority Level 2
    • train moving in the opposite direction and the main line line at each loop have been set to Priority Level 1
This forces the two trains moving clockwise to always use the passing line and the single train moving anticlockwise to always use the main line at all the loops. The three trains are now endlessly moving around the track happily passing each other at the loops without any need for human intervention.

In the real world, such a system would not operate without constant human supervision. The huge driver-less ore trains (3 locos and 200+ wagons) that operate here in Oz over 1000s of kms of track have all the passing loop operations managed remotely by human controllers.

I have set up a new route as you described above and ran 2 locos for about 2hrs while watching a movie without problems.
As soon as I put a 3rd in it refuses to move no matter where I put it on the route with instructions to drive following loco 2 with priority 2 set.
Clock wise is P1 Anti CW is P2 Markers are in the loops and on main
It's starting to get to me !

I noticed you said, "I put it on the route with instructions to drive". Drive is not a driver command that a train will continuously follow as it only tells the train to move. The trains can not change facing junctions as they have no instruction to do so. When they come to an obstruction they will just stop.

I have supplied Big_b with my working copy of the route and session and it is also working on his system. He is experimenting with making changes.

Back