Track & splines....or should I say write 'splines=tracks'?

RW912

Trans Europ Express
Am I the only one finding it extremely annoying that many splines ( not all ) now have to be treated as track ? When building a route I guess it isn't much of a bother but when 'renovating' an already existing route it is a major pain in the arse, it was perfect before ( I have no idea when this change was implemented ) when non track assets were just splines and track was just....track. I see this as a major step backwards compared to the previous situation.

And imagine how confusing this must be for new players, if I would be starting with Trainz right now I'd think twice before buying...

Ron ( ranting mood still present because I am converting a TS12 route to TRS22+ )

They are not being treated as tracks, they were created as scenery with an invisible track spline. Most of them have been updated to remove the track part and become just scenery splines. I had fence splines attached to the invisible red track, this later got replaced.

This was a change that was implemented in TS12 SP1. There were issues with this initially due to some splines such as fences, catenary, and grass acting as track causing weird things to happen. That issue has since been resolved and it was immediately when I made a bug report due to track marks and direction markers being attached to catenary wire.

Yes, as I said track direction markers and track markers getting attached to the catenary. I had an issue with my electrified Gloucester Terminal Electric route. I had directed the AI to navigate through some complex junctions and crossovers only to have the AI drivers completely ignore the markers. GRRR!

After trying various things including moving track and fiddling with signals to no avail, I was ready to rip up the track and start over. As you know, sometimes no matter what you do the only thing that works is to rip it all up and rework the area. To get to the underlying track, I needed to remove the wires. When I pulled on one of the wires, I noticed a track mark move with it. A HA, I found it! When the markers were moved back to the track, everything worked as expected and I made a bug report. This was fixed in the subsequent HF1 that came out immediately.

Why they did this, I don't have an answer. I agree it's confusing but if the asset is categorized correctly using the kind tag, then there shouldn't be a problem. The characteristics of a spline are much different even if they are actually a type of track.

When 'renovating' an already existing route it is a major pain in the arse

What exactly is it forcing you to do, or preventing you from doing, that is so painful?

While all splines are now Kind ‘track’, there are several other important config tags that specify whether a spline functions, and is categorised as, railroad track or some other type of spline;

istrack 0 or 1
isroad 0 or 1

are two important tags in this respect.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies, guys. At least now I know why this was changed. If I understand it correctly, it is the creator of the asset who categorized a spline wrongly, right?
And Dinorius, I think you know that 'pain in the arse' is a commonly used saying, I do not...I repeat: I do not have pain in my bottom because of this :hehe:

Ron

Ron,

I didn't say you had an actual pain in your "netherlands" :D. I asked what exactly you are complaining about because your rant is so unspecific. And we can't know if the asset was categorised wrongly or not because you didn't specify the asset either.

Deane

Back