Procedural Track & Attached Splines

acelejalde

Urban Transit Developers
I am running Trainz 22 Platinum and using a procedural track that already has items in the "attached-splines" container for the rails, chairs, etc. When I go to place a junction, it renders like normal. I added a third rail spline to be attached to the track and while it shows up as it should when laying down the track, when I go to place a junction, the tracks don't connect to each other like they did before I added the third rail spline. Any reason why this may be? Here is what I added to the config:

third-rail
{
lateral-offset -1
use-same-direction 1
spline-kuid <kuid:446180:100067>
visual-only 0
follows-spline-gradient 1
}
Thanks!

-A 👋

P.S. When I hover over the spline points to try and attach, I get the pop up message "Incompatible spline".

Last edited:
The thing that stands out here is the message "incompatible spline". Procedural track is very "fussy" about what it connects to - only to other procedural track splines. I checked to see what <kuid:446180:100067> was and all I got was "unknown asset".

The problem that I suspect you would have in adding a "third rail" (whatever that means) to a procedural track asset is what happens to the animated switch blade(s), the check rails and frogs that are built into the procedural track type.

I use these for my third rail and they work fine. <kuid:359841:101522> DMT Pro TRACK V2, Third Rail Right PB, Concrete Sleepers, Light Brown Ballast
<kuid:359841:101519> DMT Pro TRACK V2, Third Rail Left PB, Concrete Sleepers, Light Brown Ballast. Hope this helps.

adding a "third rail" (whatever that means)
Given his icon says "Urban Transit Developers" and being a fan myself of electric railways,
I expect it means this, https://railsystem.net/third-rail/

A third rail is a method of providing electric power to a railway train, through a continuous rigid conductor placed alongside or between the rails of a railway track. It is used typically in a mass transit or rapid transit system, which has alignments in its own corridors, fully or almost fully segregated from the outside environment. In most cases, third rail systems supply direct current electricity.

The third-rail system of electrification is unrelated to the third rail used in dual-gauge railways.

Third rail systems are a means of providing electric traction power to railway trains, and they use an additional rail (called a “conductor rail”) for the purpose. On most systems, the conductor rail is placed on the sleeper ends outside the running rails, but in some cases a central conductor rail is used. The conductor rail is supported on ceramic insulators or insulated brackets, typically at intervals of 10 feet (3 metres) or so.

The trains have metal contact blocks called “shoes” which make contact with the conductor rail. The traction current is returned to the generating station through the running rails. The conductor rail is usually made of high conductivity steel, and the running rails have to be electrically connected using wire bonds or other devices, to minimize resistance in the electric circuit.

The conductor rails have to be interrupted at level crossings and at crossovers, and ramps are provided at the ends of the sections to give a smooth transition to the train shoes.

There is considerable diversity about the contact position between the train and the rail; some of the earliest systems used top contact, but developments used side or bottom contact, which enabled the conductor rail to be covered, protecting track workers from accidental contact and protecting the conductor rail from snow and leaf fall.

The thing that stands out here is the message "incompatible spline". Procedural track is very "fussy" about what it connects to - only to other procedural track splines. I checked to see what <kuid:446180:100067> was and all I got was "unknown asset".

The problem that I suspect you would have in adding a "third rail" (whatever that means) to a procedural track asset is what happens to the animated switch blade(s), the check rails and frogs that are built into the procedural track type.
Yeah the third rail asset I’m using was built by a member of my development team, and isn’t available on the DLS.

I use these for my third rail and they work fine. <kuid:359841:101522> DMT Pro TRACK V2, Third Rail Right PB, Concrete Sleepers, Light Brown Ballast
<kuid:359841:101519> DMT Pro TRACK V2, Third Rail Left PB, Concrete Sleepers, Light Brown Ballast. Hope this helps.
I will go check it out! Thank you.

Are you having an issue with attaching tracks? I replaced the KUIDs with these third rails and I think pware's original response applies: it makes the procedural track a little wonky. I really do love the TSW track, and am iffy about replacing them.

-A 👋

Back