Track priority marker errors???

I am running Trainz 22. I have a section of double tracking that is unidirectional. The inside track is for passenger trains only and the outer track is for freight. Both tracks have a priority marker at the entrance, priority 2 for the passenger track and priority 1 for the freight track.

Passenger trains, even though programmed as priority 2, ignore the marker and proceed up the priority 1 freight track. (Trains run fine through both stretches of track under manual control, so no signs of bad track, missing switches etc.)

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a way to diagnose the problem? I have verified that the track markers and trains are priority coded correctly, and I have deleted and reinstalled a stretch of the track and markers.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Hmmm.... Note that bit about "...between junction sets..." I wonder if it might not be necessary to place a Priority Marker on the diverging leg of a junction between the junction and the next spline point to achieve the desired effect. That might explain why I've never had any luck with them.

:B~)

the priority marker was only good until the next junction

How could it be otherwise?

All of my testing (and I wrote the Wiki Page identified in this thread) indicates that priority markers only affect the track segment (i.e. junction to junction, not spline point to spline point) where they are placed. After reading this thread I conducted another test using a very convoluted and long path dictated by priority markers between the junctions and it confirmed this view.

Now the "logic" of their operation is not always apparent to frequently "illogical" humans but it is consistent. This is not to say that someone could not eventually devise a "Mobius Loop" path that crosses into the 4th dimension to defeat the logic. I am always open to being proven wrong.

The end of that wiki page covers a number of different scenarios.

PS: Priority Markers do have an "effect radius". If you have to place one very close to a junction then, as a precaution, you may need to reduce its effect radius (the green "searchlights" pointing forwards and backwards) to ensure that it does not "bleed" over the junction onto another track although I am not certain that this is an actual issue.

PPS: The easiest and quickest way to check track priority levels is to jump into Map View (the Ctrl+M keys). This does not work in Surveyor 2.0, switch to Surveyor Classic first.

• Priority 1 tracks are coloured white in T:ANE and TRS19, green in Trainz Plus and TRS22.
  • Priority 2 are dark blue
  • Priority 3 are cyan or light blue.
  • A track without a priority marker will be priority 2 (dark blue) by default.

The coloured track sections run junction to junction.

Last edited:
I can make my entire route a priority and finally be able to see the track on the map.

Not a bad idea.
Mainline: Green
Branchlines: Light Blue.

Put them on a separate layer so they can be deleted easily later on.

This is really good information. Thanks! The map view does show me the track sections where I located priority markers, so at least I got that part right. However, (a minor detail) the Priority 1 track is showing up as white, not green (I'm running '22.) Still trying to figure out why Priority 2 trains are violating the marker. I have tried a couple of different cabs set at Priority 2, and they're still intermittently taking the Priority 1 track.

How could it be otherwise?

All of my testing (and I wrote the Wiki Page identified in this thread) indicates that priority markers only affect the track segment (i.e. junction to junction, not spline point to spline point) where they are placed. After reading this thread I conducted another test using a very convoluted and long path dictated by priority markers between the junctions and it confirmed this view.

Now the "logic" of their operation is not always apparent to frequently "illogical" humans but it is consistent. This is not to say that someone could not eventually devise a "Mobius Loop" path that crosses into the 4th dimension to defeat the logic. I am always open to being proven wrong.

The end of that wiki page covers a number of different scenarios.

PS: Priority Markers do have an "effect radius". If you have to place one very close to a junction then, as a precaution, you may need to reduce its effect radius (the green "searchlights" pointing forwards and backwards) to ensure that it does not "bleed" over the junction onto another track although I am not certain that this is an actual issue.

PPS: The easiest and quickest way to check track priority levels is to jump into Map View (the Ctrl+M keys). This does not work in Surveyor 2.0, switch to Surveyor Classic first.

• Priority 1 tracks are coloured white in T:ANE and TRS19, green in Trainz Plus and TRS22.
  • Priority 2 are dark blue
  • Priority 3 are cyan or light blue.
  • A track without a priority marker will be priority 2 (dark blue) by default.

The coloured track sections run junction to junction.

However, (a minor detail) the Priority 1 track is showing up as white, not green (I'm running '22.)

There seems to be a bug in the colour coding of the tracks but I would not expect that to affect their behaviour. Zoom out from the layout in Trainz Plus and Priority 3 tracks are cyan but in Map View, they are green as are Priority 1 tracks.

Still trying to figure out why Priority 2 trains are violating the marker. I have tried a couple of different cabs set at Priority 2, and they're still intermittently taking the Priority 1 track.

As strange as their behaviour is, there is usually a reason. For example, a consist will ignore its correct priority path if it has no other options to reach its set destination.

Last edited:
I am running Trainz 22. I have a section of double tracking that is unidirectional. The inside track is for passenger trains only and the outer track is for freight. Both tracks have a priority marker at the entrance, priority 2 for the passenger track and priority 1 for the freight track.

Passenger trains, even though programmed as priority 2, ignore the marker and proceed up the priority 1 freight track. (Trains run fine through both stretches of track under manual control, so no signs of bad track, missing switches etc.)

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a way to diagnose the problem? I have verified that the track markers and trains are priority coded correctly, and I have deleted and reinstalled a stretch of the track and markers.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

The priority thing does not work and never has. I don't know why it's still in the game.

The priority thing does not work and never has. I don't know why it's still in the game.

I cannot agree with that statement. Before making my posts above I ran an extensive series of tests using a complex track route using priority markers and they worked exactly as advertised.

Back