Track marker question

Railhead001

Ok, its been a while since I tackled placing track markers and now that I am going to be doing that I seem to have forgotten how to adjust the radius from "20.00" to something smaller and saving the new number.........cobwebs need to be dusted. Thanx for any help.

RH001

Last edited:
Once the Advanced link has been opened, enter a new value in the data entry box then click the tool to the right of the entered value, the "Set Trigger Radius" button, then click on the Trackmark to set its radius.

Alternatively, you can click on the 'Adjust Trigger Radius' button and then mouse-drag over the track marker, up or down, to increase or decrease the radius. The adjusted setting is saved.

Adjusting the radius is well understood and it works. Lately the minimum radius is 1 m. So far so good or excellent. Now, you set all your junctions to your desired radius (near 150) and one day you do a data base repair. Some, not all the points are reset to 20 m ! And you have to do most all over again. Seems like a nuisance but after several times it is a bummer. has anybody seen this "effect"?

Why would one need, to want to, adjust the radius of things, what would be the advantage ? Junctions, trackmarkers ... etc ... ?

Mostly sensitivity. "Navigate To Trackmark", for example, depending on the speed of the loco will stop anywhere in the 20m radius of the trackmark - that's a difference of 40m between the start and end of the trackmarks range. By setting the radius to 5m, for example, the loco will stop much closer to the trackmark. Likewise for triggers - the trigger point can be set much closer to the trigger. I have never changed the radius of a junction switch but I believe it can be a useful thing to do in tight situations where the loco has to stop close to the junction without locking it up.

Mostly sensitivity. "Navigate To Trackmark", for example, depending on the speed of the loco will stop anywhere in the 20m radius of the trackmark - that's a difference of 40m between the start and end of the trackmarks range. By setting the radius to 5m, for example, the loco will stop much closer to the trackmark.
Especially useful when positioning locos on turntables.

Alternatively, for Couple At Trackmark a bigger radius is better. The AI is surprisingly good at finding the nearest car in a big 40-50m radius.

Why would one need, to want to, adjust the radius of things, what would be the advantage ? Junctions, trackmarkers ... etc ... ?

If you're doing manual switching, you have to get the train outside the radius (which will unlock the Jct) to throw the switch to do that pick-up/set-out move. I set the radius for yard switches and industry sidings and spurs to 1m. If you are relying on a track mark for a stop, the radius should reflect the expected speed. The higher the speed, the larger the radius.

David

Back